Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I know it’s old...but is Bosch any good? I started in on it...and it’s not what I was thinking it was....wondering if it’s worth sticking with?
    yes............................................... ....................

I know it’s old...but is Bosch any good? I started in on it...and it’s not what I was thinking it was....wondering if it’s worth sticking with?
    We loved it but have read all the books. think this was a good modern take on it.

We’re sticking with it....we’re committed for now...started Season2 last night.

Was initially hoping for some more nudity, sex, drugs, blood and guts.....lol....so far, it seems kinda tame/like a regular police drama. (which is fine, just not what I was expecting coming off a Shameless 10 season binge)

Bosch is just a good old fashioned cop show. Has a lot of tie ins. Story telling kinda
    If its bodies to look at. Try Last kingdom on netflix, or You could get really, really racy with Spartacus. not sure where it is, but Spartacus has more than enough skin. Makes shameless look like a Mr. Rogers show

I'm Your Woman
    While by no means great, this taut little crime drama is very good.
    Playing out like a Lifetime-meets-Tarantino joint adhering to the "woman-in-peril" trope, the film largely succeeds due to a decent cast, solid direction, and nice pacing. At times some of the exposition leans toward the saccharine and is vague and unecessary, but these moments, intended to flesh out the characters and bring a sense of humanity to the gritty story, are, thankfully, few and far between.
    Where the film really crackles is in the first half. By choosing to keep the audience in the dark as much as the central character, the filmmakers create a wonderful sense of confusion and tension that works really well. Other moments of note include a sequence with a neighbor, which quietly builds up tension and paranoia, and a jolt of adrenaline in the final act. These particular scenes further elevate the film from being just another run-of-the-mill woman-on-the-run thriller.

RIYL
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle; Killing Them Softly

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Flickering Lights
    This early Mads Mikkelsen vehicle, from his native Denmark, is a dark crime comedy that is well paced, wonderfully acted, and even has a little heart-string pulling here and there.

Trailer is only in Danish, but It's still worth a watch, as is the whole film, which is subtitled, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    You could get really, really racy with Spartacus. not sure where it is, but Spartacus has more than enough skin. Makes shameless look like a Mr. Rogers show
    Indeed. I REALLY enjoyed "Spartacus: Blood and Sand." Was a bummer about the original actor, Andy Whitfield dying IRL of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. His replacement, Liam McIntyre did a worthy job, though. I also really enjoyed the follow-up prequel, "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena." Never did get around to the last couple seasons though, "Vengeance" and "War of the Damned."

You can stream it from Starz, FWIW, whether you choose to do it via Amz, Hulu, and maybe elsewhere. Very green-screened and at first seemed like a cheesy, low-budget 300 knock-off, BUT I stuck with it and didn't regret it. Ended up being pretty badass. Well written and great action, just hampered a bit by production value which can be overlooked. Plus Lucy Lawless' bewbs!!!

Sound of Noise
    The short take: A tone deaf cop chases a merry band of musical thieves in this drolly absurd and avant crime thriller.

Drug War
    I initially saw this Johnnie To crime thriller when it was first released in 2012 and didn't think that much of it in terms of his,oeuvre. It was highly regarded and lauded by critics, whom I dismissed as not being overly familiar with any of his previous (and imho, better) films.
    At any rate, I recently revisited it (I watched a South Korean remake recently, which wasn't that good and it prompted me to give the original another go) and found it to be quite stellar a second time around. Suffice it to say that it has aged well and is a taut thriller with all of To's hallmarks intact: superb pacing, crisp gunplay, and solid action.
    Worth a watch and then some.

We’re sticking with it....we’re committed for now...started Season2 last night.e)
    THat was my jumping off point; the hook just never set with season two. got through the first episode i think three times.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Bosch is just a good old fashioned cop show.
    This. I mean, give him a lollypop and he's Kojack.
    "Can't you see..."

Loudermilk. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    you won't like it, way too slow pace with lots of sap

the one with the snl guy someone made a while back was way better, had the black comedy element plus jk simmons which is usually decent
    Yes. “Palm Springs” is a great movie with Adam Sandberg (from SNL/Lonely Island). Don’t watch the trailer or read about it.

Good date night movie too.

^He was great in Happy Gilmore.

Oh right Andy.

Paper Moon

I just watched Peter Bogdanovich's loving homage to the Golden Era of Hollywood. This may actually be the zenith of his fascination/infatuation with '30s and '40s cinema.
    Crisp b/w cinematography by the legendary Laszlo Kovacs creates both a slightly stark aura, which wonderfully counterpoints the light comedic undertones of this Great Depression set road comedy.
    The chemistry between the O'Neals is the driving force here, but Bogdanovich's pacing and screenwriter Alvin Sargent's snappy dialogue hold it all together.

FWIW, I swear one of the key comedic gags in this film influenced the famous paperbpy bit from Better Off Dead...

Last edited by dookey67; 06-08-2021 at 09:20 AM.

The Planters
    This is a wonderfully wry and off-kilter indie--we're talking serious mega indie as the two leads wrote, directed, and crewed the whole film themselves!--teeming with left-of-center deadpan humor and elegant eccentricities.

RIYL
    Box of Moonlight, Dream With The Fishes, Girl Walks Into A Bar, Safety Not Guaranteed

Only Lovers Left Alive
    Long before his feeble attempt at the zom/com, Jim Jarmusch delivered this wonderfully atmospheric take on the vampire mythos.
    It's a moody, talky bloodsucker yarn teeming with great cinematography and super cool sound design.
    Tilda Swinton is in top form and Tom Hiddleston shows that he's an actor who is much more than just a Thor villain.
    I found it to be a metaphysical rumination on vampiric mid-life crises and inevitable cultural ennui, plus the dichotomy of the films two major locales--Detroit and Tangiers--is jarring, exposing two now-flayling and decaying once-epicenters of the modern world.

Anyone else watching ZeroZeroZero? I'm three episodes in and it's outstanding so far.

Tomorrow War wasn’t bad, worth a watch.

99 francs

For the record: The trailer doesn’t do this film justice, but then again they wouldn’t have been able to have shown all the politically incorrect language and situations, the sloppy yogurt sex, and the gratuitous Bolivian marching powder abuse.

Narrated by a narcissistic douchebag cretin, this French comedy dwells on the dark side, skewering the shallow nature and callousness of corporate society in a vitriolic and violent manner.
    Director Jan Kounen (best known for his psychedelic western Blueberry aka Renegade) serves up enough visual flair to melt your ocular receptors and lead Jean Dujardin takes self-obsessed schmarm to hyperkinetic levels of excess.
    The film is full-tilt gonzo to the point where one wonders if the director himself was indulging in the copious amounts of nose candy which his protagonist is so fond of.
    While it falters in a few sections, there is a cartoon segment that is beyond off-the-nuts and the swerve driving ending is fantastically off-guard..

RIYL
    Fight Club; Trainspotting; American Psycho; Syrup; How To Get Ahead In Advertising

L'Iceberg
    If you have been searching for a reprieve from over-the-top action films and lackluster sci-fi dominating the streaming services at the moment, may I suggest this quirky gem.
    The debut film from Belgium based comedic duo Fiona Gordon and Dominique Abel is a whimsical and absurd journey of self discovery.

RIYL
    the films of Jacques Tati and Wes Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anyone else watching ZeroZeroZero? I'm three episodes in and it's outstanding so far.
    The bus scene in Ep. 6...fuuuuck.