Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    wow

wtf?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    wow

wtf?
    See this is why I won't watch it. I don't need whatever the hell he's up to in my head. It's messed up enough in there as it is.

yeah I didn’t get through much of the first one
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

THE FILMS OF ALEX van WARMERDAM
    I was introduced to the weird and off-kilter cinematic world of Alex van Warmerdam via his 2013 film BORGMAN (streaming on both The Roku Channel and VUDU for free, albeit with ads), which is a Lynchian-cum-Bognosian tinged comedic thriller that critiques class and priviledge.

In his native Holland, van Warmerdam is a revered playwright, musician, painter, and filmmaker, the latter of which he is best known for abroad.

In addition to writing and directing, van Warmerdam often stars in his films, either as the lead or as a creepy/unhinged secondary character.

At any rate, there is a trio of van Warmerdam's films currently streaming on Prime, all of which I highly recommend if you like twisted, absurdist comedies that are often times politically incorrect and teeming with brash social criticism and severely dark humor.

THE DRESS (1996)
    This is a depraved and continuously dark comedy which follows the life of a dress, tracing its path from creation up to its destruction. It gets purchased by all manner of women and the story illuminates the effect the dress has not only on the wearer, but also on those who come into contact with it.

WAITER (2006)
    A fourth wall breaking examination of the day-to-day trials and tribulations of a waiter in an upscale restaurant. Very similar to the Will Ferrell film Stranger Than Fiction, but van Warmerdam's effort predated that film by at least a year.

LITTLE TONY (1998)
    A twisted look at surrogacy, infidelity, and family.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1947)
    There was quite a few things that frustrated me about this film, such as Orson Welles' affected faux Irish brought and the somewhat convoluted plot. Yet it is populated with fantastic turns from the likes of Everett Sloane and Glenn Anders and Ted de Corsia and Gus Schilling (the character actors really rule this film), plus the final 5-minutes are some of the best scenes you will ever see in any film (not to mention their influence on Enter the Dragon).
    Welles, who also directed and wrote the screenplay, does some cool camera work and delivers the whole shebang with a somewhat aloof and detached aura, which is as mesmerizing as it can be frustrating.
    Oh, and Rita Hayworth.

WAYNE
    Just stumbled upon this series today. It popped up on my Prime homepage, the description intrigued me, watched the trailer, which hooked me, then watched the first episode.
    Damn!
    It's a hyper violent pastiche and rapid fire tweak of road trip, quest, revenge, coming-of-age, man-on-the-run big bad bully tropes. And It's pretty fricking hilarious to boot.

RIYL
    True Romance; Corvette Summer; Wild At Heart; Todd and the Book of Pure Evil; Detention; Parker Lewis Can't Lose
    Last edited by dookey67; 11-14-2020 at 08:40 AM.

In case you were wondering, ROMANCING THE STONE still holds up 36 years later.

JEWEL OF THE NILE, on the other hand, is a complete turd.

Here is a cool story about the film from last year on its 35th anniversary:
    https://variety.com/2019/film/featur...as-1203175725/

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    In case you were wondering, ROMANCING THE STONE still holds up 36 years later.

JEWEL OF THE NILE, on the other hand, is a complete turd.
    Agreed. On both accounts. Romancing the Stone's always a fun one for a date night.

Yeah, talk about sequel/sophomore slump. JotN was a gargantuan sink hole.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but the documentary 808 is pretty entertaining. As a music electronics geek, that drum box is legendary and did indeed change so much of music.
    Watched it last night.

It is entertaining for sure.

I really enjoyed portions of it (the interviews with the surviving Beastie Boys and the interview with Phil Collins were gold), but I also had a lot of issues with it overall.

On the whole I felt that it came off a bit scatterbrained and ADD in its presentation (I would have preferred something a bit more linear).

And I found the interstitials for the 12"'s to be annoying. I would have much rather seen the artwork for the original releases than the animation they used which kept flashing and whatnot.
    Also, after awhile the same roaming shots of the 808's interface and the buttons and knobs got monotonous (it was like stock footage overaload).

There seemed to be a lot of artists they left out, too (I do realize that when making a documentary the filmmakers invariably reach out to a lot of folks and some most likely decline to participate). But noticeable ommisions were Kurtis Mantronik, DJ Magic Mike (seminal Miami Bass artist), Kraftwerk, and they mentioned Mannie Fresh more than once, but he was nowhere to be seen.
    Heck I woulda liked to have heard from DJ Shadow, who is heavily influenced by most of the artists who were mentioned in the film.

There were also several instances where they talked to a musician and that musician mentioned a song and then they never talked about that song.

Overall, it is entertaining and serves as an intro to the 808 and included a lot of stuff I never knew, which was cool.
    If you are a music geek and especially if you came up with the early days of rap and house, then it is definitely worth a watch.
    I just feel like it might have been better as a series, you know several hours and episodes allowing for going into more detail on each of the significant movements that flourished because of the 808.

That's just my 2 cents worth...

PureVPN 86% OFF

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yeah I didn’t get through much of the first one
    I watch Netflix after I bought the 86% off deal by PureVPN this early black friday

WAYNE
    Just stumbled upon this series today. It popped up on my Prime homepage, the description intrigued me, watched the trailer, which hooked me, then watched the first episode.
    Damn!
    It's a hyper violent pastiche and rapid fire tweak of road trip, quest, revenge, coming-of-age, man-on-the-run big bad bully tropes. And It's pretty fricking hilarious to boot.

RIYL
    True Romance; Corvette Summer; Wild At Heart; Todd and the Book of Pure Evil; Detention; Parker Lewis Can't Lose
    Just started this one. Pretty damn good 2 ep’s in.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Blow the Man Down

Clearly the makers are Coen brothers fans, terrific fun

Edit-Dookey was ahead of the curve on this!
    Last edited by otto parts; 11-28-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Let me redeem myself by highly recommending

THE INSIDER

Director Mann got the best performance in years from Pacino-watch him when Mike Wallace splits with him. A stunning film with great performances throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Gone Tomorrow, it's a documentary about ice climbing in kentucky. Pretty cool stuff, the movie's not long but I enjoyed it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Gone Tomorrow, it's a documentary about ice climbing in kentucky. Pretty cool stuff, the movie's not long but I enjoyed it a lot.
    About (among others) Kevin Pogue. If you've climbed anywhere, you've climbed a route he put up.

Blizzard of Ahhha 30th Anniversary
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I am 3 eps deep into the first season of the original U.K. version of Utopia.
    It is abstruse, creepy, and rather violent.
    So far, 2 thumbs raised high.
    It takes conspiracy theories and corporate greed to a whole new level.
    I really hope that it keeps its momentum going for the remaining 9 episodes...

Last edited by dookey67; 12-14-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Watching “Bombshell” tonight..

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    I am 3 eps deep into the first season of the original U.K. version of Utopia.
    It is abstruse, creepy, and rather violent.
    So far, 2 thumbs raised high.
    It takes conspiracy theories and corporate greed to a whole new level.
    I really hope that it keeps its momentum going for the remaining 9 episodes...

You won't be disappointed

Be interested to hear your thoughts on UK v US if you've watched both

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post

My plan is to watch the UK version then the US.
    I am on Ep 4 of the UK.

Was stoked that Prime put it up.

I am still waiting for the UK version of Mad Dogs!

more like Q topia

Totally Under Control (Amazon rental) is Alex Gibney's docu about Covid and the US's flawed response to it. It's excellent. The title, of course, derives from Trump's early assessment of his administration's Covid response.

The bulk of the people interviewed are health or health policy experts and front-line professionals (plus one guy who was "hired" as an intern to be part of Jared Kushner's freelance PPE procurement team, using personal laptops to google possible suppliers).

Yes, it's largely a rehash for anyone who's paid attention, but particularly the first half (the US's first Covid death happens past the movie's half-way point) I feel I learned some things about how a public health infrastructure addresses (or tries to address, or should address) infectious diseases that have the potential to become pandemics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post

The original UK Utopia is fantastic!
    Scary, absurd, visually stunning, well acted, incredible score, etc.

I watched the first episode of the American version and it was utter shite, imho. I have no desire or need to watch the rest of it (boring direction, visually dull, crap score, and horrible actors--or maybe decent actors just horribly directed); a prime example of Hollywood totally cocking up a great concept and dumbing it down for the masses.

“Get Duked” is worth a watch, if you enjoy the “Sean of the Dead”-crew’s kind of humor. Not on the same level, but pretty good.