"Adventure" bike - need suggestions

On the cusp of a new job that would have me commuting 52 miles round trip, with lots of options to "park and ride" to shorten the day if needed. I do not own anything other than a mountain bike, but do have quite a bit of experience commuting with said mountain bike. However, this new 52 mile commute would be almost 100% road with the option to take a pea gravel "rail trail" for part of the ride if I wanted to get off the road. Not a requirement though. Will probably shoot to do this commute once per week. Guessing a total of 20 times in a summer...but hey, maybe I'll really enjoy it and make it more frequent.

So, I have no friggin clue on this kind of bike. Something like the Norco Search seems good? There looks to be tons of options and they range in price from $600 to 10k. Seems like you can get a nice bike for $1k, but I'm wondering if it's worth spending more than that. Get carbon? Get the nicer components? I dunno...

So, my question: With said commute, what would you get and how much would you spend?

Any advice?

not carbon (pricey and its weight savings are not a priority for you)
    700*30ish 29 29*1.5 tires (enought to still be fastish on the road, and some cushion for off road)
    Disc brakes (mecanical are fine, gives you wet weather stopping power)
    Rims that you can set up tubeless. (less weight, less flats)
    105 parts, on 11 speed will be a great balance of weight vs durability vs price. Its the road version of SLX parts.

Giant and Norco will have a version of this I'm sure.

I like the look of the GT grade and Devinci Hatchet too, they are very similar to the search I think. Most bike makers have something along those lines these days so check out some shops?

I would take aluminum with nicer components I think over carbon. 11 speed 105 is much better than 9/10s tiagra/sora/claris. Or if you find something with Sram Rival 1x11 go with that. I'd guess you can get something like that for 1500 or less.

If you don't need to put racks on it, this is a good one:

http://www.konaworld.com/private_jake.cfm

If I could have found someone to buy my damn cross bike I'd have one. But I guess I'm keeping it.

Oh, hey, here you go, 35% off:

http://www.jensonusa.com/GT-Grade-X-2016-Bike?cs=Blue

Think it would matter if it's 1x or 2x? I would need rack mounts..need to carry a computer, clothes, and lunch---and not on my back. I like the price of that GT...if I can get a sweet bike for around that price I think I'm good. Looks like I can get a decent deal on Fairdale and Diamondback, but not so good that I wouldn't consider something like that GT or the Norco Search, which has been recommended to me many times.

The gearing range of the grade is a little short, but not horrible. Pretty much the same low gear as my road and cross bikes (39x28, 36x25) and 40x11 will still let you pedal at like 30mph. An 11-32 cassette would be better though and that RD will handle it. Not sure why it doesn't come with that.

It looks like there are mounts at the dropouts but not an upper fender mount, you could get a rack that clamps on the seat tube or go the frame bag route like everyone else these days.

I just picked up a Specialized Diverge that I'm liking but I have no point of comparison. The aluminum DSW frame seems nice and better value than the carbon which was twice the price. 30c tires roll well on pavement but provide enough cushion for dirt and gravel roads.