Euro Engelberg Beta

Hi Euro Mags

Some of you might remember me, I used to hang about here alot and also hang about in La Grave alot. Then I had a child

I've only just re-started skiing after a 4 year hiatus, and have got the bug back. This may or may not be a good thing given my revised circumstances in life, however i've seen the forecast for this week and I'm keen to go to Engelberg at the weekend. Anyone got any info they can share, e.g.
    1) How are current conditions?
    2) Should I hire a guide or is it easy enough to find nice terrain?
    3) Where is good to go when it's snowing?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I've only been in E-berg a few days.

But I do have a duty to piss off the Euros with my dentist office knowledge, so here goes:

I didn't hire a guide when I went during a break in a storm.

Some locals showed us around one day. They read TGR and hopefully have the cycles to respond with better info.

The Titlis is spooky in a storm, it's all alpine. The Laub, which is kind of down a shoulder off Titlis, was completely whited out and there's no trees along most of it.

So we skied the Jochpass/Jochstock area more where visibility was better and there a cool little tram over by Trubsee that had some tree skiing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

the promised land!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Was there a few weeks prior.. it was my first time there, I did end up doing a guide with a group (Engelberg Mountain Guides). Guide was not cheap. I am told though that everyone is quite friendly and on good days it should be relatively easy to find people to ride with (someone local or that has skied Engelberg more can probably add additional insight).

Based on conditions a few weeks ago, and with the new snow in the past couple weeks and what is coming it should be a great time.. quite jealous!

other than AK engleberg has the dopest TGR segments

tangerine dream i think
    Zone Controller

Considering the forecast for this particular weekend, a guide may be a good idea to avoid crowds in general and crowds making sketchy decisions in particular.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Hit up the Furberg guys, they spend a lot of time there. http://furbergsnowboards.com/

Paging subtle and greg to the courtesy phone.

Congrats on the offspring, bobby. It's been a long time since LG!

Thanks for the info everyone. We've decided to take the (very large) financial hit and get a guide for Saturday. Looks like it could be great conditions, and I know from my time as a "local" that it can be pretty annoying / dangerous having randoms following you or your tracks, which might have been another option.

@Ripzalot Thanks! It's been a long time since LG indeed, though I went back there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 4 years, was pretty much the same - though whether that will be the case next winter remains to be seen. I hope you're doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. We've decided to take the (very large) financial hit and get a guide for Saturday. Looks like it could be great conditions, and I know from my time as a "local" that it can be pretty annoying / dangerous having randoms following you or your tracks, which might have been another option.

@Ripzalot Thanks! It's been a long time since LG indeed, though I went back there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 4 years, was pretty much the same - though whether that will be the case next winter remains to be seen. I hope you're doing well!
    dont be shy

what did the guide cost? approx 1 BTC ?
    Zone Controller

I guess it will be mayhem. A lot of people will come. Including me hanging out with some locals. A lot more Snow than expected. I said up To 70cm on powderguide.com and official meteos 30-50cm.
    In fact it's closer to 90 or 1m now. Vis has been low so there should be stuff to ski left. I'm waiting for the latest bulletin but I'm guessing it'll be spicy.

Adding to the fun is the closed jochstock section and that this is not a surprise dump but has been on the radar for a while.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

we skied this afternoon. basically just on the piste where it was still waist deep in places. too deep as there was zero visibility, and the terrain was far too shallow to be able to ski snow that deep. that said i also wouldn't have felt that comfortable on steep terrain as there is a shit load of snow, and it was still coming down when we finished

@digitaldeath - about 0.5btc (650 chf)

Name:  IMG-20170428-WA0004.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  33.2 KB
    This is from the village, today.

Ho Lee fook
    Zone Controller

Nice! I'd love to ski a pow day there sometime. Or just not be solo/unguided like the last last two times

Just finished for the day. It was deep. Too deep nearly as the terrain is generally pretty mellow - I would say that not much of what we skied was over 35 degrees, and it was a metre deep in many places. That's not to say it wasn't great though.

We skied Galtiberg, Steingberg and the Laub. We would have done more but didn't start skiing till after 11AM as the lift up to Titlis broke, and we were sat on it for over an hour. Also there are crazy crowds of Indians and Chinese people all going up to the top of the Titlis lift.

Definitely can see there's some great stuff here, it's a bit more mellow than La Grave in terms of steepness / exposure etc... and we saw alot of people skiing some pretty sketchy stuff, in deep deep snow, with no packs and presumably no tranceivers. But all in all it's pretty nice here!

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
    Just finished for the day. It was deep. Too deep nearly as the terrain is generally pretty mellow - I would say that not much of what we skied was over 35 degrees, and it was a metre deep in many places. That's not to say it wasn't great though.

We skied Galtiberg, Steingberg and the Laub. We would have done more but didn't start skiing till after 11AM as the lift up to Titlis broke, and we were sat on it for over an hour. Also there are crazy crowds of Indians and Chinese people all going up to the top of the Titlis lift.

Definitely can see there's some great stuff here, it's a bit more mellow than La Grave in terms of steepness / exposure etc... and we saw alot of people skiing some pretty sketchy stuff, in deep deep snow, with no packs and presumably no tranceivers. But all in all it's pretty nice here!
    Engelberg is great, but it was quite crowdy.
    was it worth getting the guide? and where did you book?

First Tram was Fun

that must have been fun where did you go?

we had to leave at midday on sunday, but did 2 laps of the laub. the first was horrible - a thick, thick crust and refrozen deep chop. it was a real effort getting down. by the time we got up for the 2nd lap the sun had softened it, and it was great. actually probably the best run of the weekend as it wasn't so crazily deep

1 steinberg. Then Laub and galti. I finished with Another laub run at 1:30 because it was tracked and ultracrowded. I was flying solo because i missed the locals( they we're late because they Opened Early at 8:05 they habe vip passes so they dont have to queue and walk in at 8:20). So i had 40min Lunch After my galti run waiting for the bus