Robert Pirsig has died

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...r-dies-aged-88

The man was a complicated genius who wrote a book of great (and frustrating) beauty. A work that can be taken at so many levels people are still trying to figure out the implications today. RIP Mr. Pirsig
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

bummer. i remember reading it in the hillcrest motel in gardiner, mt., waiting to go to my new job in the park. i had no idea he stayed there until i read it in the book while i was there.

I still remember reading it obsessively while walking around campus. Very influential for me and directions taken in my life in my late teens.

haha siddhartha is my favorite book. i end up giving away every copy i read.

Oddly enough, that photo was not staged.

We were assigned a book report in our 11th grade Econ class. Any book relating to modern economics or- Zen and the Art. I've re-read it many times since and think of it every time I see a red winged blackbird.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Zen was a great book. We lived only a few blocks from where his son was killed. Felt weird to walk by there. Lila was great as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

"The only zen you find at the tops of mountains is the zen you bring up there" RIP

never understood the appeal - i hated his prose...couldn't sit through it

i haven't read it in 30 years so my affection is sentimental. i read it a year after the shooting and had a mindbending evening realizing i was reading it where he was writing about.

http://venturearete.org/ResearchProj...7/107_0733_IMG

i have no idea how i would feel about it now. i remember having to work to get into his rhythm but it flowed easily after that.

Siddhartha! Bought it in college, still own it, but haven't read it in awhile. (Stupid internet pretty much killed my book-reading.)

Not great prose writer, but a good story teller. For the young man with half a brain, ZATAOMM was an effective antidote to Ayn Rand garbage. RIP RP