Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Us internet forum folk need to stick together. There are plenty corporate and other social media interests that work against forums. If we don't stick up for EpicSki, who will be next?

I'd say that it's a pretty transparent move by Vail to choke it out for the domain name over the past few years. They pushed out all the long time moderators a couple years ago.
    Like I said, get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Us internet forum folk need to stick together.
    Jelly is with yea, but watch out for the bearded man bun crowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The fact that we're both members of the same forum makes me feel kind of unclean. The only reason I would support your cause is if you promise to leave and never come back if we're successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It had to be done.

Better than Harble?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    It had to be done.

Better than Harble?
    what the fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It had to be done.

Better than Harble?
    Blatant Heartcarve ripoff

It had to be done.

Better than Harble?
    That guy has a bunch of videos on YouTube. What is the point that? If that's the kind of content on EpicSki then it's probably for the best that it's dead.

There was a regular at Mission who used to ski like that, we called him Nopolio.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    what the fuck?
    X2...what the hell am I watching?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    That guy has a bunch of videos on YouTube. What is the point that? If that's the kind of content on EpicSki then it's probably for the best that it's dead.
    That guy got banned.

It had to be done.

Better than Harble?
    In less politically correct times, I would have just said, how fucking gay.

Is he directing traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That guy got banned.
    Why?

^^ I don't know. Just read that somewhere else in this thread and checked it out over there. Yep. banned.

That's kind of like watching one of those Mike Pow vids of piste skiing in Japan.

he thinks thats a skill?

thats called fucking around
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Weird. I have enough problems dealing with women in my life, I don't need that shit. I'm too old to figure that shit out.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    he thinks thats a skill?

thats called fucking around
    fucking around takes skill son

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Yup. "Barking Bears" forums...something like that.
    Ya know, now that I think about it, I seem to recall that "Barking Beavers" was the original name that they called themselves.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

I just sent the following e-mail:

I am addressing this e-mail to all marketing people at Vail resorts with whom I have had personal contact over the years.

the topic of this e-mail is far more urgent. In December of 2012 Vail Resorts/Mountain News Corp. bought the EpicSki Forum because of its URL. Vail has since been hands-off in terms of content though they terminated the consulting contracts for the existing administrators and took the IT support in-house. EpicSki Forum is on a platform called Huddler that is being discontinued by its owner Wikia. Huddler is a convoluted platform that would take a high level programmer 2 months to migrate. Vail Resorts/Mountain News Corp obviously doesn't want to spend the money to do this. Here is the announcement posted about 4PM yesterday:

"The EpicSki forum will no longer be available after April 28, 2017, due to our current hosting provider discontinuing its forum services. We appreciate and thank all of the forum members, moderators and site managers for your years of dedication and contribution to the conversation and community. Those EpicSki members who would like to retain their photo albums, unofficial guides, and all other content should download that to their personal storage device by no later than noon MDT on Thursday, April 27, 2017."

http://www.epicski.com/t/150694/rip-epicski-1999-2017 This announcement has generated 420 mostly outraged comments in the past 23 hours.

The Epic Ski Forum is one of the two most active ski forums in North America, with 55,000 users. I personally post there about 400 times a year. Because of the very short notice, 18 years of content, much of it extremely valuable to a lot of passionate skiers, will disappear this Thursday. As one poster noted, this is the equivalent of burning down a library or museum. Users were given less than 72 hours notice to save their content before it is destroyed.

What we want is for the 18 years of content to be saved as an archive, and as a community we should be able to get enough people to pay for that and take it off your hands. The programming job to put the archives back online under a different URL can take longer, and one poster employed at Google has already volunteered to work on that. Everybody understands that Vail wants to control a URL named epicski.com. We also understand that is not part of Vail's core business to support an independent ski forum indefinitely. However Vail Resorts/Mountain News Corp will earn the undying emnity of a large number of active and passionate skiers if 18 years of valuable historical content dies on Thursday. It's a huge PR nightmare for which you could be torched on social media but should be easily preventable if someone steps up and exercises some common sense here.

Tony Crocker

bestsnow.net

What a crocker
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Seems the people who would migrate from Epic Ski to TGR are already here, and have been for years.

I always felt a feeling of desperation to monetize Epic Ski. It creeped me out a bit. It seemed forced. The ski experience being promoted by those in power was just not my cup of tea.
    But there were a good number of solid ski enthusiasts there.

RIP. - I made a few Ski buddies there.
    I am in this Photo
    I left just before that photo was taken. I didn't ski with most of those people but having 4ster show us around Snow Basin for free was a big bonus. We had a sub-group that rented a house and I still ski with those guys to this day. The guy on the far right in that photo almost died coming off Baldy into Peruvian Gulch on that trip. Guy on the far left rips (Goniff) despite the fartbag he was wearing back then. No insurance salesmen in our group but we did have a lawyer and a dentist; neither are overwieght and both rip.

I have gotten many deals in the Epic Ski gear swap because all those dentists would buy shit they didn't need and then unload it, unused, for a killer price. I just picked up my "skinny" (86 underfoot) skis from Epic Gear Swap for $200 shipped. There was not a mark on them...I fixed that at Killington on Saturday. Another time, I got a pair of Barons for $25 shipped. I'm going to miss taking gear off their hands.

I stopped posting on Epic once they started banning people that were the funny, edgy folks over there. I had been lurking on TGR under a different name for years. I have been in touch with Phil and Sierra Jim for advice on skis because the dudes know their shit. Solid citizens, too.

Epic was in a downward spiral...I would look every now and then when the weather was shitty and I didn't have anything better to do; it became the stereotype that the maggots thought it was all along...and maybe worse. I'm not sad..it was what it was and it imploded. Maybe Vail helped it along but it was dying a slow death anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    In less politically correct times, I would have just said, how fucking gay.
    Is there any footage of him falling off the chair?

Snowbasin. Wtf
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Snowbasin. Wtf
    Says the guy who lives in MN....