Bike Industry trying to kill itself - 20mm BOOST edition.

Thought this quote was insightful:

Pinkbike: Right now someone is reading this article and thinking to themselves. “Damn it. Damn it. Damn it! When is this going to stop?" I mean people don’t actually want innovation to stop—they want bikes to get better—but they also don’t want to keep buying wheels and forks and frames, and then find out that the latest standard has a shelf life of just three years. That’s what it seems like it’s come to now and people are pissed. And rightfully so.

Industry Tool: That’s what’s killing the bike industry right now. I think riders are so confused and worried that they don’t want to take a risk buying something new anymore. We went through so many changes. And now when the next change comes about, that $6,000 bike you just bought that you thought you could resell for maybe $4,500…that bike is suddenly worth $2,600. And that hurts the consumer.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/anothe...st-20x110.html

Meanwhile, Bontrager releases a line of cost effective wheels, only in BOOST spacing with 27.5 and 29 sizes.

No wonder road and mountain bike shipments are down 18% - nobody wants this new BS:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/studi...-first-quarter
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 04-24-2017 at 01:34 PM.

20mm thru axle! Reminds me of my 2000 Marzocchi Super T.

As much as I like new bike tech, this is getting a bit absurd. Just because you can make a wheel negligibly stiffer with new standard, doesn't mean its worth doing.

650b was the beginning of an unnecessary and very slippery slope.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

At least this hub standard is backwards compatible. 20 x 110 hubs have existed for years. All that'd be required to fit an old wheel would be some spacers on the rotor.

Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Looks good to me.

I feel like if the grips could just mount to the tops of the stanchions, then you could save weight by getting rid of the stem and bar.

New Standard! (Patent Pending).

Pick your axle size then be a dick about it.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    Pick your axle size, wheel size, tire width, bottom bracket size and fit, q factor, bar diameter, e-motor, ...then be a dick about it.
    FIFY.

Clearly the lowest common denominator of the mountain biking equation is being a dick.

Be Highway Star and be a dick all the time. Homeless people who spend all their beggings on 40s of malt liquor deal with change better than this guy. Smart move, backwards compatible is sometimes a good idea.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I really don't think different hub standards are the reason for lower bike sales. More like decent bikes have become absurdly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    At least this hub standard is backwards compatible. 20 x 110 hubs have existed for years. All that'd be required to fit an old wheel would be some spacers on the rotor.
    Yeah, I'm not getting the outrage here. Even 15 mm hubs will work with it. It's stupid that we had to go 20->15->20, but 15 mm was always dumb so going back to 20 mm is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yeah, I'm not getting the outrage here. Even 15 mm hubs will work with it. It's stupid that we had to go 20->15->20, but 15 mm was always dumb so going back to 20 mm is a good thing.
    Yeah, agreed. A backwards compatible 20mm axle with wider hub flanges in the front, paired with the "SuperBoost" thing (which is essentially just the same thing in the rear - 12x157 with wider flanges, and is backwards compatible) seems like the industry just correcting itself to what it should have done many years ago instead of going down the road towards 15mm axles, Boost, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, agreed. A backwards compatible 20mm axle with wider hub flanges in the front, paired with the "SuperBoost" thing (which is essentially just the same thing in the rear - 12x157 with wider flanges, and is backwards compatible) seems like the industry just correcting itself to what it should have done many years ago instead of going down the road towards 15mm axles, Boost, etc.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I really don't think different hub standards are the reason for lower bike sales. More like decent bikes have become absurdly expensive.
    More SKUs to build, stock, etc. = Higher prices across the board. In some ways, MTBs reaching Powersports vehicle prices (seriously, WTF) is a result of the wave of new standards.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    More SKUs to build, stock, etc. = Higher prices across the board. In some ways, MTBs reaching Powersports vehicle prices (seriously, WTF) is a result of the wave of new standards.
    What do you mean, reaching? You can get a nice dual sport, street legal 250cc Honda that you can take anywhere for $5k.

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/crf250l/offroad.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I feel like if the grips could just mount to the tops of the stanchions, then you could save weight by getting rid of the stem and bar.

New Standard! (Patent Pending).
    Already patented. They do this on some street bike motorcycles.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Already patented. They do this on some street bike motorcycles.
    I know. That's where I got the idea.

The patent will be that I use a 2.75 cm boost+ diameter. Which I will then make obsolete within 6 months by adding special flanges, which I will then make obsolete within 6 months by moving each flange outward by 1mm, which I will then make obsolete within 6 months by...

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I know. That's where I got the idea.

The patent will be that I use a 2.75 cm boost+ diameter. Which I will then make obsolete within 6 months by adding special flanges, which I will then make obsolete within 6 months by moving each flange outward by 1mm, which I will then make obsolete within 6 months by...
    So long as you describe each change as "disruptive" and "38% stiffer" and "game changing," the bike industry will love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So long as you describe each change as "disruptive" and "38% stiffer" and "game changing," the bike industry will love it.
    Which I will then make obsolete by calling it boostruptive and 38.632% stiffer and game evo-changing+1by...

I got the impression from the article that this 20mm boost was for DH bikes? Perhaps I misinterpreted... If it is just for DH bikes, I don't see the problem. Backwards compatible, and when you get new wheels you get an imaginary increase in performance thus "boosting" your ego.

Seriously though, the bike industry is a bit retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Seriously though, the bike industry has gone full-fucking-retard.

Everyboy knows you never go full retard.
    FIFY.