Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Those Hestras look good, though I haven't tried messing with applying my own touchscreen thing (that obviously opens options up a lot). Not to dredge this tired topic up, but I'm often solo in the dark before work. GPS - either the Wasatch bc map or Gaia - is really nice. While it's out, I can measure a slope angle, take a picture to check against when I get home, any number of things. Sure I have a standalone GPS, as well as a standalone compass, clinometer, and so forth. But I have my phone with me anyway, it's handier, it's really a quite nice gizmo. Anyway, I have no sewing skills so I haven't tried sewing in heat conducting thread or anything like that yet... if there were some super easy/reliable way to add touchscreen compat I'd just use my Trailbreakers.

Those Stormtrackers look quite good though. I've loved basically every OR product I've used so far, plus I can buy it through our local avalanche center's affiliate link and at least feel a little less bad about buying a 50th pair of gloves.

fwiw Overmitt is just a "nice to have" for me, though it is pretty nice.

I bought the montbell outdry gloves that neckbeard recommended (I think earlier in this thread/somewhere on tgr) and they are indeed awesome. Super lightweight and waterproof.

I wear them directly over skin in warmish weather and wear them over a thin liner when it’s a bit colder. I can often ski in them with the same setup but I ski in California. On the other hand I have shit circulation in my hands and they get cold easily.

They still don’t seem to sell them in the US though; I bought mine in japan.

Just a bump to say that these https://skimo.co/ski-trab-maximo-glove are the best I've used. I wore my first pair 100+ days and kinda destroyed them last season, bought a new pair and they've improved. Primaloft, wind mitt in the cuff, warm enough I haven't had to use my oh-shit-mitts except one day so far this winter. My hands sweat and get cold, I wear nitrile gloves under anything gloves when touring. Touchscreen, a spot for your watch if you like me need to keep an eye on the time. A little spendier than I'd like and a little less durable, but so far the best I've found.

Ordered some Stormtrackers though, so we'll see. I do love my ExtraVerts...

BD Helios, while nowhere near worth the price, are actually pretty sweet if you can get a deal on them. The liner glove is ok, doesn't fit my fingers great but it has touchscreen pads and some windproofing. The outer gloves are pretty nice, lightweight but plenty warm, still kinda dextrous. Not crazy waterproof but I nikwaxed them, we'll see how that works. The real winning combo for me has been some Arcteryx Rivet softshell/fleece gloves as the liner, which fit my hands PERFECTLY and are warm enough on their own for the up until I get into the wind, with the Helio outers. I keep the Helio liners (as well as Arcteryx Ventas and OR Extraverts and oh-shit-mitts) in my pack just in case, but so far that combo has been pretty bomber.

Anyway $200 for a pair of gloves is completely stupid but if you can get them more than 50% off you get 1 decent and 1 good pair of gloves. ymmv. The Arcteryx rivet for $60 is awesome, touchscreen which is nice, just get a little damp if you do much messing in the snow with them (or if it is warm).

The Maximos continue to disappoint in the durability department (but are otherwise perfect), and are hard to get late season, so as my current pair is on life support the quest for the glove holy grail continues...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    BD Helios, while nowhere near worth the price, are actually pretty sweet if you can get a deal on them. The liner glove is ok, doesn't fit my fingers great but it has touchscreen pads and some windproofing. The outer gloves are pretty nice, lightweight but plenty warm, still kinda dextrous. Not crazy waterproof but I nikwaxed them, we'll see how that works. The real winning combo for me has been some Arcteryx Rivet softshell/fleece gloves as the liner, which fit my hands PERFECTLY and are warm enough on their own for the up until I get into the wind, with the Helio outers. I keep the Helio liners (as well as Arcteryx Ventas and OR Extraverts and oh-shit-mitts) in my pack just in case, but so far that combo has been pretty bomber.

Anyway $200 for a pair of gloves is completely stupid but if you can get them more than 50% off you get 1 decent and 1 good pair of gloves. ymmv...
    I don’t know if it would apply to the current discount, but the Helios are listed for $157 on BD’s website right now and I have some codes for 30% off at BD. PM me if you want to give it a try.
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...01423_cfg.html

Recommend me a lightweight touring glove

I have a pair of swix gloves that breathe quite well...no idea on product name

But posting to suggest looking at XC glove options for the up...

OR Storm Trackers on sale for $56 with free shipping:
    https://www.ebags.com/product/outdoo...-gloves/377164

Mine work quite well, but I haven't used them with ropes, or other high wear use cases (just basic skinning & skiing). They're almost as warm as my FTP Spring gloves and quite a bit more dexterous.

On the topic of touch screen gloves, has anyone done a mod that doesn't employ conductive thread? I don't like the idea of poking a mess of holes in my gloves.

I found a product called "Any Glove" - mixed reviews on Amazon. Other sites say it takes 3 days to dry. I found two other products (Nanotips and Glovetacts) but I can't see any of them holding up to use in the field.

Maybe I'll just continue to freeze my fingers until I wear my OR & FTP gloves out ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-21-2020 at 12:16 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Upping this thread.
    Probably in the US this brand is not popular: REUSCH
    i am now thinking to one of these:

https://www.reusch.com/int/en/shop/w...ty-skitouring/

(maybe not the Kavik model as it seems too hot),
    or a less specific softshell model like:

https://www.reusch.com/int/en/shop/w...700&size=6%2C5

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    Upping this thread.
    Probably in the US this brand is not popular: REUSCH
    i am now thinking to one of these:

https://www.reusch.com/int/en/shop/w...ty-skitouring/

(maybe not the Kavik model as it seems too hot),
    or a less specific softshell model like:

https://www.reusch.com/int/en/shop/w...700&size=6%2C5
    Those would be lucky to last me a couple of weeks (but at least I’d have touch screen capability for fuck knows what). Seriously, for non-disposable gloves, I’ve had repeated success with Free the Powder and Flylow.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Those would be lucky to last me a couple of weeks (but at least I’d have touch screen capability for fuck knows what). Seriously, for non-disposable gloves, I’ve had repeated success with Free the Powder and Flylow.
    why do you think is that? any lack of material/characteristic in particular? the two brands you mention are not available where i live

Haglofs Touring Glove. Fit is quite strange (as all of the Haglofs), but durable and comfortable, breathe very well.

Lost one glove, going to buy a replacement pair after throwing away shitty Arc Venta

why do you think is that? any lack of material/characteristic in particular? the two brands you mention are not available where i live
    Regular ski touring is tough on gloves. Contact points with one’s poles, bindings and skins create wear and tear points through inappropriately placed seams and materials. I’ve had gloves fall apart on their first outing, and most don’t last through a winter. In my experience, gloves for ski touring require at minimum high quality, heavy grade leather at all contact points. These are comfortable, work well, are widely available, and are perfectly adequate for occasional use:

https://www.hestragloves.eu/ergo-gri...-natural-brown

I seek out Free the Powder and Flylow gloves, because I use my gloves hard (skiing, touring, snow blowing, shovelling, sledding etc) every day and they the utilize heavier and and particularly durable cow hide leather (which also holds more waterproofing wax), and add a leather patch/yoke across the highest wear area. Other workwear style gloves can be equivalently durable, but lack sophistication in fit and features.

https://www.freethepowder.com/collec...ducts/bc-glove

https://flylowgear.com/collections/m...ducts/db-glove

Recommend me a lightweight touring glove

The Flylow DB Glove is the perfect weight & the leather is burly enough to handle the abuse.
    The liner unfortunately sticks to sweaty hands. So, beware taking the glove off & expecting to slide back in. Not sure what fabric that really should be, but the current one is unfortunate.
    That said, if you’re not a sweaty hand sort, then they check all the boxes, including eminently affordable.

I haven’t used the Free The Powder BC glove, but, if that liner is the same stuff as their alpine gloves (I have several pair that I do love), I’d expect the same issue.

I use mountain bike gloves for touring. They dry very quickly.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I use mountain bike gloves for touring. They dry very quickly.
    I second this - im usually using an older mountain bike glove that I no longer use to ride with, or a cheap work glove from amazon.

Unless I'm doing a bunch of hand shears or digging a pit, my hands dont get too cold - but I'm also in the cascades where the temps rarely dip below 20F.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I use Japanese fisherman gloves a lot:

https://www.go2marine.com/showa-282-...kaArq4EALw_wcB

They're warm enough (especially with liners), great for digging in the snow, grippy, durable as hell, and cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I've become a fan of bd torque gloves until it gets surprisingly cold. Mine were on sale for 20-30 bucks, guess they're for ice climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Spring = Wet snow
    Spring = Lots of snow and melt interaction (boot packing steeps, ice axe, handling skis)
    Leather = Essentially dehydrated skin, just looking for liquid to re-hydrate.

So no.

according to this sentence it is silly to use leather on the palm of gloves? or am i misreading it?

on a different note: i never treated my gloves with leather wax, but wondering if doing so will impact breathability? if you make it waterproof, then it doesnt breathe anymore?

according to this sentence it is silly to use leather on the palm of gloves? or am i misreading it?

on a different note: i never treated my gloves with leather wax, but wondering if doing so will impact breathability? if you make it waterproof, then it doesnt breathe anymore?
    I'd doubt you notice. Saturated leather gloves breathe even worse. Treated gloves still breathe a lot better than gloves that have waterproof "breatheable" inserts. Note with no-insert leather gloves you might perceive a very slight air permeation. They're a bit colder as a result. Kinda reminds me of eVent jackets.

IME I can at least double the life of mtnbike or ski gloves with liquid ureathane (AQS, freesole, shoogoo) , it will stick permenantly to the wear spots on the cloth or leather of a glove and its best to do it before you have a hole worn thru

IME a lot of the gloves mentioned like the gloves with rubber palms, mtn bike gloves, are just not warm enough for me, so they are useless for me, a lot of the time I'm using lighter ski gloves with a full cuff

I usualy take at least 2 pair on a tour

I definatly treat gloves with a boot wax
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know