Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Recommend me a lightweight touring glove

I typically use the Ninja Ice gloves for lightweight one day tours, but the gloves get pretty wet (and cold) by the end of a day. I'm about to head out on a multi-day trip and would like to find a glove that won't soak up a bunch of moisture.

I run hot when I'm active, so it doesn't need to be that warm. I'll use it in conjunction with BD guides and Mercury Mitts as things get colder.

Lightweight, durable, and water resistant/proof would be great.

Thanks,

Seth

I've used OR Verts as my lightest ski touring glove option for years. You just need to keep up the on leather proofing (snoseal), and they won't wet-out too badly, and dry quickly. The thin leather is key, and they're reasonably durable (replaceable on warranty).

Camp makes a bunch of awesome gloves for this sort of thing. I have the G Hot Dry (too warm for what you're describing) and the G Comp Warm (might be perfect; has an integrated mitten in the cuff), and I'd look at the G Tech Dry. All stupid names but great gloves.

Im a big fan of OR stormtracker gloves for alot of touring days and conditions.
    Softshell windstopper with leather palms and fingers.
    Claimed water resistant but certainly not water proof and they will definitely soak up water if you're sticking your hands in spring slush though.

For spring/summer touring and summer mountaineering: After shredding too many OR and Patagucci gloves in too little time, I now go to a hardware store and get leather-palmed fabric-backed work gloves. Fraction of the price and last longer.

If it's wet and cold I wear nitrile VB liners inside or use neoprene paddling gloves or Glacier Gloves.

Winter tours: lots of ski touring glove/mitt options.

I also like OR Stormtrackers for their incredible dexterity. I use something much cheaper if ropes are involved.

I run hot too so I usually I wear a pair of Simms Solarflex Guide gloves on the uphill. Light weight, padded leather palm, breathable, fingertip less for great dexterity and keeps the skin protected from the sun and wind. https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/so...ide-glove.html

Just toss on your favorite pair of gloves/mitts at the changeover for the down.

BTDT; MTB gloves FTW.....

For what you're talking about, OP, I had good luck with OR Verts. I did a review on them some years back:
    http://www.gearinstitute.com/skiing/...-research-vert

My OR Verts lasted less than half of a spring/summer touring season. Ice axe use and scrambling tore them to shreds.

^Hardware store gloves for you then. My Verts have lasted since I reviewed them, but I pull out the leather hardware store gloves for rocky routes. Tools in and of themselves haven't trashed mine. I think we're talking skiing here, right? I was focusing on the water-resistant part too - a weak point of hardware store gloves.

Some people are hard on their toys. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I think we're talking skiing here, right?
    I use an ice axe on lots of ski tours

If it's warm I'll use a thin bike glove. I have a pair from POC that I've used for 3-4 years, while also using them for trails in the summer. I always bring something warmer in my pack as a back-up anyhow, and if they get wet they dry out easily
    http://www.pocsports.com/eu/resistan...%20MTB#start=1

For colder and/or windy conditions I got a pair of Arc'teryx Alpha SLs this years. Great fit for me, seems solid, probably not great if it's rain or sleet, but dries pretty easily.
    http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx...Alpha-SL-Glove

Specialty-made spring ski gloves seems overpriced to me.

Personally, I love cheap nitrile work gloves sold at hardware stores for $2 - $9. I keep them on all the time from about 20 degrees to hellfire hot. When it gets super cold, I can also wear them under my gloves/mittens as a kind of quasi-vapor barrier. My hands may get a little clammy on the hottest days, but nothing too bad (because the top part is breathable). Can't beat the dexterity, weight, and price.

I've tried MTB gloves and they soak up a ton of water.

Rab VR Tour are the best touring glove I've used.

I have a beat up holy old pair of dakines covered in AQS for touring and if your gloves get wet ... carry a couple extra pair
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

any glove I wear in late spring/summer needs to be white or another light color.
    dark/black gloves get too hot, no matter how lightweight.

these have been great, $14 right now, might buy another spare:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_...4WHITMD_1.html

light enough that they dry fairly fast
    unexpected cold I put on an overmitt or change gloves, but I got 'em specifically for the hot /sunny days

Water resistant is definitely a big consideration for me in buying these. I have used the hardware store/mtb gloves for touring and, well, mountain biking, and I love just about everything except their propensity for soaking up water from snow, sweat, etc. For that reason, some of the water resistant options above are compelling.

The Atlas gloves pictured above look almost exactly like my Ninja ice. Those things are awesome until they get saturated with water.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to head to my local ski shop this week and poke around a bit.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    The Atlas gloves pictured above look almost exactly like my Ninja ice. Those things are awesome until they get saturated with water.
    Huh. The ones I've used hardly absorb any water. The palms are rubberized and the backs are stretchy nylon that doesn't really absorb water (or insulate for that matter). And I've used them a shit ton in sweaty and mushy snow conditions. That said, when I'm using an ice axe to climb something steeper and have my hands constantly in the snow, I'll usually put my OR mitten shells over the nitrile gloves for a little extra warmth/dryness.

Interesting. He ninja ice has several layers of what feels like woven thread. It takes a while to soak them out, but there's no turning back once they are. Takes a day or two to dry out in my house. Maybe the atlas gloves are less water absorbing?

I just bought a pair of these at the hardware store - http://www.wellslamont.com/catalog/p...?categories=13
    They're pretty awesome and dexterous as fuck. I have a pair of their all leather, insulated Hydrahyde gloves for snow shoveling in the winter and the leather is remarkably water resistant/repellant.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    The Atlas gloves pictured above look almost exactly like my Ninja ice.
    They may look the similar but they are as different as night and day. As AKB says, those cheap Atlas work gloves dry fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I just bought a pair of these at the hardware store - http://www.wellslamont.com/catalog/p...?categories=13 They're pretty awesome and dexterous as fuck.
    I've used those. Work great for the ups mid-winter, for all day spring touring and for general mountain travel. Pretty tough and durable too. My current pair doesn't have a label, might be the same glove.

I used to have a nearly identical pair but they weren't "HydraHyde". The leather on these is really nice.

A few months ago Costco had a deal on a more insulated version made by Wells Lamont with HydraHyde leather

My OR Stormtrackers have lasted through at least 200 hundred days, including plenty of ice axe/tool use and an occasional belay or rappel. I've avoided using them when I anticipate rope work since reading a comment by Steve about how his fell apart (maybe Steve's were Verts, but that is what I remember) . I worn them hundreds more times around town because they fit so well I never need to take them off for things like fiddling with keys or a dog leash. A couple little holes have formed recently and the softshell part look pretty gross. Will get another pair soon as they are one of the best pieces of gear I've owned. They are not particularly waterproof and never were.