Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Anyone use these Hestra work gloves? Hestra 73160 Kobolt Czone Winter Work Gloves, Medium, Black For only $18, they have goatskin palms and have a waterproof/breathable membrane, seems like a lot for the money.

I've been keeping a pair of the "Fermium Czone" model (discontinued) in the truck for emergencies, they have no leather, are waterproof, thinly insulated, super lightweight, and would probably be great for spring tours. Tossed them in the pack this weekend, will try them next time I'm out. The "Palladium Czone" looks like the Fermium's replacement.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-25-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Spring = Wet snow
    Spring = Lots of snow and melt interaction (boot packing steeps, ice axe, handling skis)
    Leather = Essentially dehydrated skin, just looking for liquid to re-hydrate.

So no.

Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Very interesting...

I've been keeping a pair of the Palladium Czone in the truck for emergencies, they're thinly insulated, super lightweight, and would probably be great for spring tours. Tossed them in the pack this weekend, will try them next time I'm out.
    Be sure to post back.

Seth

Anyone use these Hestra work gloves? Hestra 73160 Kobolt Czone Winter Work Gloves, Medium, Black For only $18, they have goatskin palms and have a waterproof/breathable membrane, seems like a lot for the money.
    Bought a pair of those Hestras and they arrived today. Looks like the same, high quality build of all other Hestra gloves. Ordered a large and "size 9" is printed on the label, which works for me. Very lightly insulated, with the microfleece lining sewn to the exterior at the cuff. If your hands get wet or sweaty while wearing and then take them off, the lining can pull out of the glove... which may be a hassle.

Looking forward to using these in colder weather, stoked about the waterproof aspect.

Thanks for the heads up 1000-oaks.

^ Good to hear, you could hit the goatskin with SnoSeal. I've been using a pair of North Face spring gloves, but they soak through it you even brush wet snow so they kind of suck.

Realized the waterproof PU-palm Hestra's I have are the "Fermium Czone" model (discontinued), which were replaced by the $30 "Palladium Czone".
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-28-2017 at 01:09 PM.

I just got a pair of the Rab VRs. Will report back.

SnoSeal is for snow, not water.

Water, aka spring skiing, and leather are a bad combo.

If you don't want water in your gloves and don't want to use rubber gloves, buy gloves with OutDry. It's magic.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I just got a pair of the Rab VRs. Will report back.
    stoked on mine... haven't treated the palms yet but used them a few days in very warm Utah-in-May conditions without issue. curious how cold they'll be comfortable in.

My vote is for these. Amazing dexterity, great combination of weather protection, breath-ability. I cut all the red bits off as they really don't do much.
    http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx...Alpha-SL-Glove

Those Hestras are too cheap not to try.

Anyone have any recommendations for mid-winter touring gloves meeting the following criteria:

Must haves:
    - dextrous (if you can't easily unzip your fly and take your dick out to piss, not dextrous enough), I want to wear them all day
    - fairly durable. these will grab rocks when scrambling, hold axes/whippets, fiddle with tech bindings, snap dead branches, assemble and disassemble shovels and probes, etc and will see 100+ days/year. I'd like them to last a whole season if possible...
    - waterproof or waterproofable at least on palms/fingers
    - wind resistant or windproof
    - NO invertable/prolapsable liner, major deal breaker for me
    - touchscreen compatible on at least one finger, so I can leave them on to look at GPS, take a picture, etc etc
    - warm enough for mid-winter (eg warmer than say, Rab VR Tour or just a liner glove; don't need to be resort-warm though)
    Nice-to-haves:
    - soft bit on the thumb or somewhere to wipe your nose or glasses with
    - non-gauntlet
    - integrated overmitt of some sort
    - reasonably breathable

So far the best gloves for this are Ski Trab Maximo gloves, but they're expensive as hell and not terribly durable. I also like the OR ExtraVerts, but they don't have touchscreen compatibility, so I find myself wearing my beat-to-shit Maximos a lot more.

I have disliked Camp G-Hot Dry, Rab VR Tour (both prolapsed liners), Kincos/BD Guide (nowhere near dextrous enough). I have found the BD "medium softshell" ok just extremely non-durable. I've tried dozens of others and can't really keep them all straight to be honest.

Are there any other gloves out there that I'm overlooking? Ideally under $100? or more, if they're durable enough to last being used daily over a 100+ day season...

Ticks most of your needs, FTP Spring glove.

BD do an ice climbing glove with a waterproof insert that ticks all of these except the touchscreen compatible fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for mid-winter touring gloves meeting the following criteria:

Must haves:
    - dextrous (if you can't easily unzip your fly and take your dick out to piss, not dextrous enough), I want to wear them all day
    - fairly durable. these will grab rocks when scrambling, hold axes/whippets, fiddle with tech bindings, snap dead branches, assemble and disassemble shovels and probes, etc and will see 100+ days/year. I'd like them to last a whole season if possible...
    - touchscreen compatible on at least one finger, so I can leave them on to look at GPS, take a picture, etc etc
    - warm enough for mid-winter (eg warmer than say, Rab VR Tour or just a liner glove; don't need to be resort-warm though)
    Nice-to-haves:
    - non-gauntlet
    - reasonably breathable

So far the best gloves for this are Ski Trab Maximo gloves, but they're expensive as hell and not terribly durable. I also like the OR ExtraVerts, but they don't have touchscreen compatibility, so I find myself wearing my beat-to-shit Maximos a lot more.

I have disliked Camp G-Hot Dry, Rab VR Tour (both prolapsed liners), Kincos/BD Guide (nowhere near dextrous enough). I have found the BD "medium softshell" ok just extremely non-durable. I've tried dozens of others and can't really keep them all straight to be honest.

Are there any other gloves out there that I'm overlooking? Ideally under $100? or more, if they're durable enough to last being used daily over a 100+ day season...
    Maybe just keep the ORs and put a touchscreen patch on the right thumb. Would be a <$10 fix.
    Kincos make a non gauntlet full leather spring glove that is daf. Maybe not warm enough.
    Just saw a pair of Trab skimp gloves with an attached mitten hood. Sounds weird but after trying it on I can see how people would like it. Likely not very durable.

military pilot gloves
    watch out for snakes

I’m pretty stoked on OR stormtrackers. I’ve had decent luck with touchscreen ops, no integrated overmitt though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I have the hestra ergo grip active gloves. I think they check pretty much all of your boxes except they don't have an overmitt.

I've only had them for this season, so can't really comment on durability, but so far, so good. They're definitely dexterous as fuck.

Must haves:
    Nice-to-haves:
    - non-gauntlet
    - reasonably breathable

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have the hestra ergo grip active gloves. I think they check pretty much all of your boxes except they don't have an overmitt.

I've only had them for this season, so can't really comment on durability, but so far, so good. They're definitely dexterous as fuck.
    Just came here to post this too.

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gl...active/861700/

I have them too. Only a couple if tours so far, it's been cold as fuck here. Looking forward to getting some more time in them as it warms up and we roll into spring touring. Checks a lot of the boxes. Dexterous AF.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Are those Hestras touchscreen compatible? I feel like a geek because of it, but that has become an important feature to me... I passed on the Extraverts due to that. I got OR Storm trackers which are nice except the lining, particularly in the fingers, gets out of place and they can be hard to get on, especially when hands are wet...

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Are those Hestras touchscreen compatible? I feel like a geek because of it, but that has become an important feature to me... I passed on the Extraverts due to that. I got OR Storm trackers which are nice except the lining, particularly in the fingers, gets out of place and they can be hard to get on, especially when hands are wet...
    My phone is off when touring. They are not touchscreen compatible, but you can buy a 5 cent sticker patch and add that to the gloves so you can get the perfect Instagram shot of you living your best life.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

For the record, my desire for touchscreen has nothing to do with Instagram or other such nonsense, I have never, and will never, had an instagram account. However I do have two young kids in school, need to be able to answer texts and the phone in case something is going on with them. And sometimes use a Wasatch backcountry map app...

I've used a pair of those Hestras for about 80 days. Good product. Storm Trackers are probably a bit more durable (the do a decent job of standing up to rock and ropes for suck a light glove) but also absorb water more. The Hestras are lighter and fit into small pockets better. Call it a wash. Given the price I'll definitely buy another pair when these wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    For the record, my desire for touchscreen has nothing to do with Instagram or other such nonsense, I have never, and will never, had an instagram account. However I do have two young kids in school, need to be able to answer texts and the phone in case something is going on with them. And sometimes use a Wasatch backcountry map app...
    Smart headphones like Chips with Siri or Google Assistant support can do the first part without even taking your phone out of its warm n cozy spot. Love them for inbounds or sidecountry. I go off the grid for the backcountry.

oh geez, we need to get into a discussion about why you might want to look at your phone in the backcountry? It has my topo maps, gps, inclinometer, and a bunch of beta/route/views from across the canyon photos to help make sure i’m skiing the shot that i think i’m skiing. Its also my camera. I have analog backups for maps, compass and inclinomter, but having all that stuff quickly accessible in my pocket is incredibly useful and convenient. And I usually leave it in airplane mode to save battery and prevent interruptions.

back to gloves, the built in overmitt limits your options. I have a lightweight OR mitten shell, stashes in my pocket. Super quick to put on and extends the waterproof, windproof and temperature range of any glove that you wear it over. The best glove in my quiver, by far. Use it all year hiking and backpacking, as an extra layer over a light liner when needed.

Underneath i usually have the midweight BD softshell glove, but have the same concerns with durability as the OP. I think im going back to a basic kinco.

I havent had the best luck with touchscreen compatibility, usually just bite the bullet and go bare handed. Less likely to drop my phone that way, too.