Kingpins w/ QK's on 2 skis or mount G3 Ion LT?

So, picked up some of last year's BMT 94's on closeout. Looking at either putting in some Quiver Killers (myself) on the pair with the Kingpins already mounted, and on the BMTs... OR: moving over some Ion LT 12s off of older skis as a straight (non-QK) mount. The thing is that I was originally thinking of selling the skis that the Ions are currently on to finance the BMTs. The BMTs will be really only used for touring, and they'll be my skinnier set. Been happy with Ions so far (2 seasons, about 30 days), but they're on some Nunataqs that just see powder. The tradeoff would be ~200g (going brakeless with just the AFD pad) for more downhill performance and (from what I hear) better durability/reliability with the Kingpins. The BMTs will really just be for touring only. I'll probably be swapping the bindings 5-10 times per season. I noted that for my bsl, the rear-most heel mounting screws are under the heel unit, so I'd have to be moving the heel unit each time to get to the screws, then back out again. Boots are Vulcans.

Just looking for thoughts on anyone with experiences on both (haven't actually skied the Kingpins yet, have kinda been going a little crazy with end-of-year closeouts ) as well as with QKs, both installing and with swapping bindings from ski to ski. I'd have a shop drill the pattern for the Kingpins, then I'd install the QKs (drill out to QK diameter, tap, epoxy and do inserts; I'm a QK virgin, but have been doing a little research). I enjoyed using the Ions and the way snow doesn't get packed up while skinning, but was looking forward to increased performance of the Kingpins in icy/chundery conditions with the better heel connection. Weight is moderately important to me, but ~200g is acceptable. If I had another $650 I'd get another pair of Kingpins, but alas...

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!
    Last edited by dub_xion; 04-23-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Kingpins w/ QK's on 2 skis or mount G3 Ion LT?

Speaking from QK experience, you might find it pretty annoying moving bindings back and forth like that. I started out doing what you were proposing, but that fizzled quickly. For example: it was a hassle to swap bindings last minute because a storm dropped more or less snow than predicted. I now use QKs in such a way that any given binding swap really only happens once a year:
    rock skis -> nice skis
    midwinter touring -> spring touring

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Speaking from QK experience, you might find it pretty annoying moving bindings back and forth like that. I started out doing what you were proposing, but that fizzled quickly. I now use QKs in such a way that any given binding swap really only happens once a year:
    rock skis -> nice skis

I'll second this. The idea that you can easily swap bindings are nice and all. It's just that, unless you truly enjoy spending your evening with a screw driver and a bottle of loctite, it starts to feel like a pain really quick. I also started out using QK in the same way and ended up doing something similar to Lindahl.

Oh, and you also might find you like the BMT 94s in powder just as much as your Nunataqs, at least for touring (depends on length I guess).

Thanks, this is exactly what I was wondering. Ion LTs it is for the BMTs. It's Kingpins on some Katanas for front pow/side/crushing bc, so it would've been a be a pretty regular swap from lift-serviced one day on the Katanas to maybe a long tour/lots of vert the next on the BMTs. Selling the Nunataqs, as fun as they were.

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Last edited by dub_xion; 04-24-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    better durability/reliability with the Kingpins.
    Questionable... I've seen 3 pairs or so go through warranty first hand from my group of friends (I'm not on kingpins). Obviously not the already existing standard problems.

That said, sounds like you got it all figured out, but I'd agree with what's said here, swapping sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Speaking from QK experience, you might find it pretty annoying moving bindings back and forth like that. I started out doing what you were proposing, but that fizzled quickly. For example: it was a hassle to swap bindings last minute because a storm dropped more or less snow than predicted. I now use QKs in such a way that any given binding swap really only happens once a year:
    rock skis -> nice skis
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    I'll second this. The idea that you can easily swap bindings are nice and all. It's just that, unless you truly enjoy spending your evening with a screw driver and a bottle of loctite, it starts to feel like a pain really quick. I also started out using QK in the same way and ended up doing something similar to Lindahl.
    It's funny, I said this about QK/BF inserts a couple years ago here and people got all defensive about it. It's a pain in the ass, good concept not that practical in reality. I stopped using them.

Same here regarding inserts - seasonal/infrequent swaps are fine (once or twice/season), frequent ones are not so good. I wouldn't call them a non-starter, but they're not a change on the fly sort of thing.

I'm also not sure I'd call the Ions less durable than Kingpins, mainly from experience of Ions, however.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

B&D needs to come up with an adapter plate to be able to mount Dynafits to the V-werks H-mount area....

Lighter skis than the V-werks don't have a minimalist binding mount, they need to quit using that fucking ridiculous H-mount binding

I don't use quiver killers because I know from swapable alpine/AT boot soles I don't wana do that exercise more than once a season and if i do need to swap more than that ... I should probably have a dedicated setup
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For the VTA 88's this year Volkl made the H thicker towards the middle to to allow for other bindings. Guess they realized no one was going to mount Kingpins on a 1kg light touring ski. No reason other than marketing to do the same for the other models.