Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What ski for me?

Alright Mags, help me out here.

Looking forward to next season and wanting to get a new resort ski. For those of you who are out there and have skied most of new 2016-17 gear what's the best thing out there now from your perspective and why

Currently skiing on 2013 - 186 - Blizzard GunSmokes

What I like: Hard Charging ski that has a very high speed limit (if at all), tails release in the trees when I need them to, plenty of floatation, but still will carve well when laid on edge
    What I don't like: heavy and at 114mm underfoot when I am in tighter areas (i.e. west turbo/some of the alleys at Abasin) I feel a touch clumsy.

I plan to keep them as a ski for the deeper days but want a everyday resort charger.

My stats
    200lbs
    6ft

Skier type
    Aggressive, comfortable anywhere on the mountain, like to let the skis run on an edge vs scrubbing speed, do not seek out bumps to ski, like tree runs and natural hips and starting to edge my way into dropping smaller cliffs.

What cha got for suggestions
    Thanks guys for any advice

Are you trying to get on some 2018 gear, or do you want to save some money getting this past seasons gear?
    Do you want a significant amount of tail rocker on your next ski, or a flatter tail?

If you like the gunsmoke, I would guess that you'd like the peacemaker or regulator. If you want to try something new, Moment PB&J. If you want less tail rocker, try the pinnacle 105.

Have you checked out Praxis or On3p skis?

Yes, saving money is preferred as I am a broke med school student

As far as flat vs tail rocker I am stumped here, normally I go for a twin-tip ski with a decent amount of tail rocker but the more I ski the more I realize how much I like engaging the tail through the end of a turn.

A bit of background on me, grew up snowboarding Baker and when I came to Seattle for undergrad I switched to skiing and have not looked back. Now I have about 6 years of skiing under my belt and realize that I never ski switch and in all reality do not need a twin tip ski.

My backcountry setup is a pair of praxis backcountry 180. Given they are mounted with Radicals with a horrid ramp angle (I need to skim them) I have not skied them much inbounds, but from the 25 or so tours I have done on them I have not missed having a twin tip or much tail rocker.

Hope that helps.

What from Praxis would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    ...Currently skiing on 2013 - 186 - Blizzard GunSmokes...
    What I don't like: heavy and at 114mm underfoot when I am in tighter areas (i.e. west turbo/some of the alleys at Abasin) I feel a touch clumsy. ...
    Blizzard Peacemaker 186cm precisely addresses your "What I don't like" issues about Gunsmokes 186cm.

Peacemaker is 9% lighter weight, 9% skinnier (and also has a slightly shorter turning radius)---but other than that, it is pretty much the same ski design.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

You definitely want the red ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Blizzard Peacemaker 186cm precisely addresses your "What I don't like" issues about Gunsmokes 186cm.

Peacemaker is 9% lighter weight, 9% skinnier (and also has a slightly shorter turning radius)---but other than that, it is pretty much the same ski design.

What I am concerned about is that with the shorter turning radius I might loose the charging nature of the ski and it might become a bit squirrelly at speed?

Not that i have skied them but next years rustler 10s sound like a great fit

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Not that i have skied them but next years rustler 10s sound like a great fit

• Turn Radius: 17.5 m at 180 cm Length

That terrifies me, my wife's ski has a longer turn radius

Has anyone skied them?

• Turn Radius: 17.5 m at 180 cm Length

That terrifies me, my wife's ski has a longer turn radius

Has anyone skied them?
    I think the 188 is around 19M, only 2m shorter than the gunsmokes. but again I havent skied them. Hopefully they ski long

What I am concerned about is that with the shorter turning radius [of the Peacemaker, compared to the Gunsmoke] I might lose the charging nature of the ski and it might become a bit squirrelly at speed?
    I agree about that effect of shorter turning radius, but keep in mind that one of your other stated objectives of reduced weight will also contribute to loss of charging nature and being more squirrelly at speed. When there are trade-offs within your objectives, it's best to try to demo many skis so you can feel where a ski lies between trade-offs (e.g. lightweight vs. stability at speed, power vs. agility, etc.).

Last edited by Vitamin I; 04-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

OG Bodacious (the old and next years one) in 186 if you don't like speed limits.

What ski for me?

That was set up perfectly

Get a skinny Rx

I have a pair of the og Bodacious with the green topsheet in a 186cm I could sell you for a good price.

If OP thinks the 186 Gunsmoke is heavy and clumsy, the Bodacious (any year) is not the answer.

186 Kartel 98 or 184 Wren 98, depending on your preference of mount point.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    If OP thinks the 186 Gunsmoke is heavy and clumsy, the Bodacious (any year) is not the answer.
    Skip the "heavy and clumsy" part and the OP describes the OG Bodacious. For a physically good trained medical student who wants to get into hard charging and hucking, the Bodacious is a thing of beauty.
    And you can get it for truly cheap, if you look a bit around.

I'd look for a closeout or used pair of Q Labs or Invictus 108s. Pretty much what you're describing.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I'd look for a closeout or used pair of Q Labs or Invictus 108s. Pretty much what you're describing.
    I have to disagree somewhat. The QLab is heavy as shit and that tail doesn't release "easily". The 20m turn radius makes them fun in trees as long as you are on top of them, carvy not slarvy. It does meet the rest of the OP's requirements: high speed limit, flotation, great edges for carving. Super stiff tails make for confident landings.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I have to disagree somewhat. The QLab is heavy as shit and that tail doesn't release "easily". The 20m turn radius makes them fun in trees as long as you are on top of them, carvy not slarvy. It does meet the rest of the OP's requirements: high speed limit, flotation, great edges for carving. Super stiff tails make for confident landings.
    I thought your Q labs were easy to ski. OP said he wanted something somewhat carvy and that he prefers to ride the edge rather than scrub speed. The Invictus might be a bit more playful but they're in the same vein with the exception of having a longer turn radius. I don't find either overly demanding while still remaining very stable and "chargy". I'd probably give the nod to the Q Lab for tighter trees.

Just wanted the OP to be aware that the two skis you mentioned are not going to release and slarve like a rockered tail, nor are they light. If you ask me, locked and heavy are good traits for variable conditions in bounds.
    Last edited by kai_ski; 04-24-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    . . . the Bodacious is a thing of beauty . . .
    No argument there, the Titanal-infused Bodacious is my ski of choice many days. However the 186 Gunsmoke is my "light and maneuverable" choice and I only weigh around 170.

What ski for me?

OP wants a lighter, thinner ski for all mtn..

Idk how we are onto the Bodacious now lol

Get a Moment PBJ.. its edgy and locked in like the gunsmokes (for a rocker/camber/rocker) but thinner, lighter and stiffer than the peacemaker. It will perform medium-long radius turns well, and you can easily manhandle it into shorter radius turns in chutes and trees. Its surprisingly stable, like the gunsmoke and peacemaker.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 04-24-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Go with the W :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBear View Post
    Go with the W :-)
    Fuck off, troll.

That said, and back to OP's question.

Also, guys I ski on a 196 Bodacious everyday and this is NOT the ski op wants. Yah yah I know the 186 is more maneuverable, but still he said lighter than gunsmokes, and ya'll are suggesting a ski that defines stomp and go, but definitely doesn't like anything other than to charge.

I'd say Rustler 10 might be a good fit, was just eyeing them in the shop today and they seem to have a nice bit of rocker in the tail to make them playful (though you said you might want a flat tail), but a nice construction that was stiff but not beat you up stiff. The blizzard rep was telling me that you can definitely go a few cm behind the recommended on the rustler's if you're looking for something that skis a little more traditionally.

That said Praxis Rx as other's have said sounds like a good fit as well.

You're definitely going to have tradeoff stability at mach-silly if you want lighter weight.

Lmfao