Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low range Torque Wrench

So in re-installing my crank pre-load bolt today, I stripped out the allen key hole...my fu*king torque wrench must be out of calibration, or it doesn't work well on the low end of the range (it's a larger automotive use style, was trying to dial up 1.2 Nm).

Currently waiting on epoxy to dry on a bolt I set in there to try and extract this damn thing.

So - I may be in need of a torque wrench that can do the low range bike stuff (like the FSA ML140 0.7-1.5 Nm crank preload bolt).

What do you guys use to do low range torque specs? I know there are bike tool brand torque wrenches, but anyone have a suggestion on something more generic and cheaper?

I'm assuming setting pre-load on crank bolt not goof to do by hand? I can already tell it's overtightened, as crank is grabby on rotation right now...
    Last edited by ADKmike; 04-22-2017 at 06:13 PM.

I have the Pedros ... small and low in/lb. Came when a bunch of useful bits as well.

for such low torque you wanna have a beam wrench not a click one, I have an old park but some other brands make the same like gearwrench and craftsman, but I think craftsman only has the 3/8 not the smaller 1/4 version

9point8 has one but only 4mm hex, kind of a bummer

Harbor Freight has an inch pound torque wrench that is cheap. I use it (with a conversion table to figure out newton meters) on bike stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Harbor Freight has an inch pound torque wrench that is cheap. I use it (with a conversion table to figure out newton meters) on bike stuff.
    I checked this - but I believe it starts at 20 in-lb, when I need around 1 Nm which is approx. 8.8 in-lb. Seems like most of the small torque wrenches start at 20 in-lb

How does the average bike wrencher adjust the pre-load on this bolt properly?

Quote Originally Posted by ADKmike View Post

How does the average bike wrencher adjust the pre-load on this bolt properly?

German standard.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    German standard.
    Went over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Cheaper than the bike brand options (see above). I may pick one of those up. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Cheaper than the bike brand options (see above). I may pick one of those up. Thanks.
    While you're at it, pick up one of these for me too.

https://silca.cc/collections/the-new...-richard-sachs
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Went over my head...
    Gudentighte !

Buy a CDI torque wrench. They are the best and are pretty reasonably priced. They actually make most the of brands torque products, I.E. Snapon, Park, etc.

What Gunder said.

I prefer the CDI 2502MRMH It has the low torque you want but also has a 3/8 head so you probably already have sockets that fit it. I have one at home and at the shop.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

If some bike components have such low torque values, why do most of the bike brand torque wrenches start off above these values, i.e. 3/4/5 Nm +?

The only bike stuff I worry about for torque tightness are where carbon is involved -- seatpost, handlebar, fork steerer -- and those seem to be 5 or 6 Nm, which is in the usable range of the cheapy Harbor Freight torque wrench I suggested.

The crank preload (the bottom bracket bearing side load) at 1 Nm is finger tight. I mostly have Shimano cranks, which used to come with this little plastic tool:
    https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Hollo.../dp/B000F5JOT8

I like the tight enough wrench.

You want a 0-80 in-lb 1/4" beam wrench. I have one from Park but they discontinued them for some reason (switched to ratchets which aren't as reliable especially at low torque). You can find them pretty easily from non-bike sources though - e.g. here's one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XKIIKOM

If some bike components have such low torque values, why do most of the bike brand torque wrenches start off above these values, i.e. 3/4/5 Nm +?
    Bontrager makes a series of "torque keys" that are preset tools for a specific bit and preset Nm.
    for example: 4mm hex @ 5Nm for stem bolts. They're cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The only bike stuff I worry about for torque tightness are where carbon is involved -- seatpost, handlebar, fork steerer -- and those seem to be 5 or 6 Nm, which is in the usable range of the cheapy Harbor Freight torque wrench I suggested.

The crank preload (the bottom bracket bearing side load) at 1 Nm is finger tight. I mostly have Shimano cranks, which used to come with this little plastic tool:
    https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Hollo.../dp/B000F5JOT8
    Yeh I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother. Already own three larger torque wrenches...don't really need to spend all this money to tighten one frikin bolt.

This, frequently on sale around $11:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ench-2696.html

Really don't trust the harbor freight click style especially at low values. Use the ritchey/bontrager pre set one for stem/seatpost instead. Will probably try a beam style next

Posted this a few posts back - but this looks like a really good deal. Made in Taiwan too, not China...to me that's an upgrade based on some other Taiwan tools I own. 1.1Nm low end is much lower than a lot of the other wrenches I've seen, even bike specific.

Just can't see spending $120 on the CDI one...too much dough for my infrequent needs...

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-TRQ211.../dp/B01M12284X

The beam wrench I posted is half that price, more reliable, and doesn't require calibration (you guys with click wrenches have them calibrated every year, right?). But pick whichever one you want.