WTB: first trail bike

The snow has pretty much melted in New England and I'm looking to join the dark side this offseason. Rode a handful of natural trails and DH days over the past year and am starting to get ready to pull the trigger on my first bike.

I want a do-everything bike that will let me enjoy some XC, a few days of lift-accessed DH, and help me generally get better at riding. I've enjoyed flowy trails, starting to take air and drops, and consider myself a beginner in terms of technical riding.

Been looking at the Bronsen, Troy, and Patrol. 5'10", 165lb, 31ish inseam, so I'm leaning towards a large. Trying keep the budget under $2k if possible and save a bit of cash for small upgrades. No strong preference for carbon, expecting pretty entry level components, but also don't want to outgrow the bike in a year.

I've been watching pink bike but wanted to see if any local maggots in the northeast might be selling. Any leads would be appreciated. I'll also be trying to unload some skis on gear swap soon, so cash + trades might be possible.

https://2ndtracks.com/2016-intense-s...bike-blue.html

I have a members email that can bring it down below 2k. Pm me if your interested.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

WTB: first trail bike

http://www.earlsbikes.com/bike-swap/

I believe this is the biggest bike swap on the East Coast, but could be wrong. Benefit is you get to try out a bunch of bikes for fit, because whatever you get it has to fit you right. Sizing is just one factor in the equation. The swap is jammed, too, so get there early!

And regarding which bike, you really can't go wrong these days

FWIW I'd buy an alloy frame with good components vs. a carbon frame with shitty parts.

Giant Trances and Reigns can be found cheaper than a lot of bling-brand bikes and are great frames.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    FWIW I'd buy an alloy frame with good components vs. a carbon frame with shitty parts.
    This for sure. It's a total waste to get a premium frame with budget components, suspension especially.

Friend of mine is considering selling his Rocky Mountain altitude. Its alloy, in your budget (unsure what he'd ask for it) and in Somerville, MA. I can put you in touch if wanted.

Thanks for these notes. Good feedback, and I'll definitely check out earls swap if I'm still looking then.
    Valuing components over a carbon frame, for sure. I've seen a few Trances and Troys in my range, with decent components (I think...), which are getting a close look.

Reading these notes from blister has also helped me think about the tradeoffs a bit. But can someone help level-set in ski terms how subtle these differences are? Would it be a decent analogy to say the 5010 to Bronson is like a Wailer99 to 112? Or is it more like a 99 to lotus 120?... * Based on what I've read, I think I'm pretty set on a 27.5 with ~140-160mm travel, 2014 or newer, and slightly prioritizing uphill capability given my expected riding this year. But if someone told me I could get a good deal on sweet bike with 5" travel and still have fun riding NE trails and occasional lift-accessed downhill.... I'd probably listen.

Other thoughts:
    How much does my resale value differ from a new $3k bike vs a used $2k bike? Is it a similar investment with just a different upfront?
    Anyone around NE know of good demo days coming up?
    1x11 is appealing, but should I care?
    How much value should I expect to gain from buying at my LBS vs used on pinkbike/craigslist? Is that potentially a few hundred saved over the long term?

*(as an aside: do I have the right impression that SC bikes are bit like DPS skis? maybe I'm too self-conscious, but I'm not quite a dentist and probably don't want to be the equivalent of this guy, riding perhaps a bit more bike than I can appreciate.... The bikes are really sexy though.)

I think SC bikes are very mainstream and not all "DPS like". Good bikes. They sell a shit ton of them.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I have a Transition Patrol, and have really enjoyed it. Evo has a 2016 in their outlet section, slightly more than 2k though

There's a NEMBA event coming up on May 6th at the Fells, I think there were some demos last year: http://www.nemba.org/events/kona-bic...iddlesex-fells

Check for other events on the main pages, most of them have at least one company demoing bikes usually.

I have a 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt of this variety: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...8/DSCF1324.JPG that I will probably be getting rid of in a month or so.

It's not at all stock: Rock Shox Pike up front, Stans Flow wheels, set up 1x with raceface cranks, XO shifting, carbon bars. Basically my version of the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC edition.

Would be mid $2k.

I like it. What's the consensus on the sweet spot for travel length for northeast riding? Started considering the thunderbolt BC and 5010 but wondering if they're a bit undergunned. I also don't intend on really charging downhill -- probably prefer something that really performs well at moderate speed but would enable me to start feeling more comfortable going fast. Overthinking the suspension?

I think those two are great, hit the sweet spot of good balance. You could lug around more travel and feel a little more comfortable but maybe suffer a bit on pedaling and slower steering input.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    I like it. What's the consensus on the sweet spot for travel length for northeast riding? Started considering the thunderbolt BC and 5010 but wondering if they're a bit undergunned. I also don't intend on really charging downhill -- probably prefer something that really performs well at moderate speed but would enable me to start feeling more comfortable going fast. Overthinking the suspension?
    Good question...reasonable concern I'd say. Funny, I was in between the 5010 and the Thunderbolt. Rode a Thunderbolt and it was game over for me. I really like that bike. We have very similar biking here to what you'd find in the Northeast...maybe even a bit more demanding depending on what your basis for comparison is. My personal opinion is that the move toward 160/150, and even some 140 bikes is only worthwhile for full on enduro dudes. The Thunderbolt hits the sweetspot for me and I have never felt under gunned on the suspension. I do not huck anything too big, but I do ride freeride trails that require some time in the air. And yes, we have plenty of rocks, roots, and jagged shit that requires a monster truck. The Tbolt just zips right through. Pick it and send it.

The reality for me, though, is that 95% of my riding is really variable; flow trails, DH trails, technical singletrack, etc....and this bike is pedals very well. And clocks in at like 26 pounds....so I've done a couple of 60 mile singletrack days on it. If you're gonna have one bike I have a hard time thinking that you can do better than a Thunderbolt/5010 kind of bike.

I guess what I'm saying is, I can't imagine carrying around much more than 140mm of travel for pretty much anything short of a LOT of enduro racing or getting more serious about freeriding/dh riding. If you're gonna do "some" enduro racing, "some" freeriding...but mostly looking for a bike that can do everything I don't think it's worth it to go over 140mm with today's excellent geometry. And for me, the Thunderbolt is unbelievably fun, snappy, flickable, and capable.

My two cents.

Other thigns: 1x drivetrain is worth it to me and it is nice to have at least 11 gears if not 12. I like the simplicity.
    Resale value is totally dependent on the deal you get. Used bikes do ok within a few years of their release but much older than that they tend to lose their value. That said, new bikes are SO FUCKING expensive that used bikes are holding up OK right now. My thunderbolt is probably a $6k retail bike and I think it'll hold it's value for a few more years within a few hundred.
    Buying at your LBS is great to do if you can afford it. Reality is you get a shitload more bike for a lot less money on the interwebs. Walk in and buy a Thunderbolt (which hasn't changed that much in the last year or two) and you'll pay 3x what you can buy them for on the market. At least 2x for sure.

Tough decisions because it's a lot of money! If you want pics of my bike or more info, let me know. It's been my dream bike.