Thread: Bike Festivals

Bike Festivals

Who's going to cool bike gatherings?

I'm going to wander into Sea Otter again on Sunday and I figure I can't be the only maggot dirtbag invading the pleasant confines of Monterey California. Anybody else around?

I rode the Zerode Taniwa yesterday and today another Pinion-equipped steed of somewhat more modest pedigree and price. The closer we get to a belt driven full squish the less bothered I am by wheel sizes. But I'm trying to see the downside.

Yikes! Interesting concept, but 10K and not even a complete build.

I'm looking for a new bike or two and will be visiting the Snowmass Demo in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Yikes! Interesting concept, but 10K and not even a complete build.

I'm looking for a new bike or two and will be visiting the Snowmass Demo in June.
    I was told $9k as-built at the show from Cycle Monkey. Build weighed in at 31 lbs with 170 front/160 rear travel. It's a sweet bike! Flies well, pedals quite respectably even with the shock set soft/open, and the shifting is different from a derailleur but substantially better as you get used to it.

It shifts instantly, so I found that following a guy on a 1x11 up a rolling climb I was running up the back of his tire when the pitch increased. Took a while to figure out that I was shifting up a gear or two on the flatter parts while he was (rightfully) staying in 1st rather than give up a revolution of the cranks for a fairly short flat spot. As the pitch steepened my extra momentum gave me plenty of time to shift back down. I hear the Pinion is draggier, but I won't be surprised if staying in the right gear makes up for it on climbs like that where frequent shifting is beneficial. I'd be interested to see a back to back comparison with a HRM or power meter, but I didn't notice a difference under higher output.

I can't justify $9k for a long travel enduro bike just now, but if I was in the market for that I think the Zerode would top my list. Annual oil change as the only maintenance? Yes please!