Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Keep covered up and reapply the sunscreen and chapstick. Seems like some of the sunscreen stuff is really gross if it gets in your mouth and I wonder if sometimes it's made me sick so I'm really trying to cover up more but still using the sunscreen.

I have one of those Buff sun masks. Thinks it's called the UVX mask. It stays up better and breaths better than my regular ones so it's easier to leave on longer. Masks and buffs get gross kinda fast so if you are lucky you can flip it inside out and get two days but not always.

Bumping this up to 2021.

Any thoughts on Skinnies Sunscreen? This Outside article made it sound kinda intriguing, especially because it's so concentrated. Curious what the mags are using for the summer adventures.

The big selling point with Skinnies, which was launched in New Zealand in 2010, is that you do not need very much of it. The product is, in essence, sunblock in concentrated form: the company claims that a mere “pea-sized blob” is sufficient to protect your face, neck, and ears. (I usually go with a marble-sized dollop; after my misspent youth, I’m hedging my bets.) Unlike your traditional SPF lotions, which tend to be white and runny, Skinnies has a firmer, paste-like consistency and goes on clear.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Bumping this up to 2021.

Any thoughts on Skinnies Sunscreen? This Outside article made it sound kinda intriguing, especially because it's so concentrated. Curious what the mags are using for the summer adventures.
    I've never had a problem running out of sunscreen even on extended alpine trips. Nothing beats the combination of a 100spf lotion and a zinc stick - truth be told, I don't even know if the 100spf lotion is necessary but I am too old for burnt skin.

this is the 100spf I use. It's cheap and excellent:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005IHTP...ing=UTF8&psc=1

for a zinc stick, I've had trader joes sticks for a minute and they work great. nothing special, I just buy my stoner snacks before a trip there and I always end up with one of those sticks too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Zinc oxide is my preferred sunscreen for heavy duty use as it provides a physical block and is typically very resistant to sweat and water. I use a spray 50 SPF chemical block for moderate exposure.

That said the best sunscreen is a clothing block. Long pants, sleeves and Tilley hat FTW.

I wear pretty much exclusively sun hoodies when in the alpine regardless of how hot it is. Then hat with my hood up over the hat to protect my neck, sunglasses, and lots of sunscreen and chapstick. Works great for backpacking, trail running, touring, etc. I'm a pasty guy and usually can make it out okay with that setup
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I've been using this stuff while rafting this summer - it's a zinc spray. A week with fair-headed children on a Utah desert river and no sunburn, so seems to work pretty darn well.

I've been using Zealios for the last few years with success. It was supposedly developed specifically for sweaty, athletic endeavors. I also use a buff or hood a lot more.

FWIW, I've read that anything over ~35 spf gives very little extra protection. So, for example, a 70 spf sunblock doesn't give you twice as much protection as a 35 spf. But it might give 2% more protection. Anyhow, much more important than a huge spf is regular reapplication, in my experience.

I like Original Ski Balm. AKA Ski Naked.

https://originalskibalm.com/collecti.../black-diamond

The fairhaired kids and me spent 6 days out of 7 on Palmer this summer. Only day they got burnt was when they forgot to put it on. They had one more day after turning themselves into pandas, and they were sure to reapply, their burn went away pretty quickly and Ski Balm didn’t irritate them any further. I wear it year around and it is just good for windy ad cold days as it is sunny and bright.
    "Let's be careful out there."

If you are going to be so fucking white

thats your problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

hey, guys...

kudos to all of you who are protecting yourselves against the damage of sunburn -
    completely foreign to my youth...

the only thing I have to add is the op wrote of wearing a helmet -

dabrim.com has a line of brims - many 360° that attach to helmets
    ( I see the earlier post about line of sight, and to each their own. . . ) -

I appreciate that those in this thread are taking steps to protect from UV !
    ... keep it up !

Carry On... ! skiJ