Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bumping this because I got absolutely fried last weekend and hit up searchjong to figure out how not to make that mistake again. I stupidly took a Burt's Bees stick with me that I didn't realize offers no sun protection. Now three days after getting home my lips are tore the hell up. The rest of my face isn't so bad but...it's not good either.

Ordered the AKBruin pro model sun shirt and am going to get some lip sunblock with zinc.

Also, I've heard from several sources that a lot of pro surfers swear by Shiseido sunblock. It's expensive but I may finally give it a shot.

A lot of domestic sunscreens are effective for UVB but less so for UVA. UVB causes sunburn, UVA causes photoaging and cancer. Even zinc and titanium dioxide don't block all UVA wavelengths.

The best thing to do, per all the suggestions, is cover up. The next best thing is sunscreens made with mexoryl SX and XL from La Roche Posay. Mexoryl SX and XL are also photostable which means they keep working as long as the sunscreen isn't rubbed off even if you don't reapply

I use Anthelios Dermo-Pediatric SPF50+ Lotion 250ml (PPD 38). It's kind of spendy but the tube is large so it lasts a long time. It will also make you look like a ghost so skipping the pediatric version and going with Anthelios SPF50+Comfort Lotion 250ml (PPD 27) will cast off some of the pallor.

The downside is you have to import it to get the mexoryl SX and XL compounds because the stuff you can buy in stores does not contain the better sunblocking ingredients. Search for "French cosmetics for less" and then search the site for "Anthelios."

High Alpine Sun-Protection Gear/Sunblock/Strategies?

that neutrogena spf 100 is legit... and I’m pale af

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    A lot of domestic sunscreens are effective for UVB but less so for UVA. UVB causes sunburn, UVA causes photoaging and cancer. Even zinc and titanium dioxide don't block all UVA wavelengths.

The best thing to do, per all the suggestions, is cover up. The next best thing is sunscreens made with mexoryl SX and XL from La Roche Posay. Mexoryl SX and XL are also photostable which means they keep working as long as the sunscreen isn't rubbed off even if you don't reapply

I use Anthelios Dermo-Pediatric SPF50+ Lotion 250ml (PPD 38). It's kind of spendy but the tube is large so it lasts a long time. It will also make you look like a ghost so skipping the pediatric version and going with Anthelios SPF50+Comfort Lotion 250ml (PPD 27) will cast off some of the pallor.

The downside is you have to import it to get the mexoryl SX and XL compounds because the stuff you can buy in stores does not contain the better sunblocking ingredients. Search for "French cosmetics for less" and then search the site for "Anthelios."
    That's what I use

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

MV, thanks for the informed response. I just ordered a tube of the Comfort Lotion to try out.

Any idea if it’s reef safe? I assume not? Obviously doesn’t matter for the mountains but I could also use it surfing in places with coral reef. It would be great if there’s something that’s healthy for both me and the ocean.

I would guess no to reef safe because my limited understanding is that reef safe means non-chemical sunscreens like zink etc. There is, FWIW, a gel version of the Anthelios that is designed to work with wet skin.

Had good luck with the Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap so far, the bill isn't too big, it's really lightweight and packable, and doesn't catch the wind like a full-circumference brim hat. The "cape" is easily removed. Think I'll try to find a face mask that works with it.

Hadn't seen this Ddyoutdoor™ 07-281 Sun Protection Cap before, has a perforated face mask, is cheap and gets good reviews. Even comes in hot pink. Wouldn't be too good in the wind though.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    that neutrogena spf 100 is legit... and I’m pale af
    I used to hear that anything over 50 SPF was just marketing bullshit. Is that still the case?

I imagine that sweat would wash it all away before it stopped working at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    MV, thanks for the informed response. I just ordered a tube of the Comfort Lotion to try out.

Any idea if it’s reef safe? I assume not? Obviously doesn’t matter for the mountains but I could also use it surfing in places with coral reef. It would be great if there’s something that’s healthy for both me and the ocean.
    Rubber Ducky sunscreen is reef safe and works great.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm still swearing by SOLRX. I'm a pale developer as well, blue eyes, blond hair etc. I find that with SOLRX I can go the whole day with applying once, even when glacier skiing in the summer. For safety I tend to apply at least twice, but I haven't actually been burned when forgetting it. (Disclaimer: I take zero responsibility if you get a burn by doing this, I'm simply reporting my experience)

Just recently I tried Dermalogica Sport SPF 50 which is supposed to be some high end product. And while that feels nice and goes on really easy, I find that it doesn't last as long as SOLRX and needs to be reapplied during the day. That said, it feels great. Zero grease on the skin and it has a matte finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I used to hear that anything over 50 SPF was just marketing bullshit. Is that still the case?

I imagine that sweat would wash it all away before it stopped working at some point.
    That was probably never true in the way you'd think from the headlines. The reports of "there's no difference" that I saw were all based on some study of actually letting people apply different sunscreens and then checking results. That's a neat idea, but it introduces enough variability to guarantee that the differences will be smaller than the threshold for statistical significance, so the conclusion of "no significant difference" was known before they started.

SPF-50 allows 2% of light through and SPF-100 lets 1% through, so the difference is smaller than the variation between application technique, quantity, skin type, solar intensity, sweat, re-application frequency... Control for those as best you can and they're still going to result in more than a 1% variation.

YRMV, but I find higher numbers generally last longer between re-applications so 50-70 or even 100 may get my money, and I never bother with less than 50 even though 30 is almost as good--at least if forgetting altogether is the baseline.

Thanks. That makes sense. I figured it was more about application procedure and human factors that caused the difference.

More of a food for thought or an FYI, different sunscreen compounds block different UV wavelengths and some compounds are photostable and some are not. It's possible to apply a sunscreen that protects against sunburn/skin darkening but not protect against UVA which is the worst of both worlds because you then loose the melanin response which otherwise helps protect against aging and cancer while also spending more time in the sun without that crucial protection.

does anyone know where i can pick up one of those cool nose hats?
    Or do people just make those on their own? you know what I'm talking about, the nose protector that I see people wearing on glaciers, looks like they attach to the bridge of your sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    does anyone know where i can pick up one of those cool nose hats?
    Or do people just make those on their own? you know what I'm talking about, the nose protector that I see people wearing on glaciers, looks like they attach to the bridge of your sunglasses.
    https://bekogear.com/nose-guards/
    julbo has some, dunno if they work with other glasses
    https://www.julbo.com/en_us/julbo-spare-parts

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    https://bekogear.com/nose-guards/
    julbo has some, dunno if they work with other glasses
    https://www.julbo.com/en_us/julbo-spare-parts
    thanks mang! can't wait to rock the nose hat

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Had good luck with the Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap so far, the bill isn't too big, it's really lightweight and packable, and doesn't catch the wind like a full-circumference brim hat. The "cape" is easily removed.
    That's the most popular hat among my mountain friends. I have a big head (7-3/4+ shaved) and the OR fits fine. ExOfficio makes a similar cape hat. Patagonia makes a similar one with a bigger (IMO too big) bill. DIY permethrin treat of cape and bill keeps the bugs way, very nice for breaks, at camp and high lakes fishing.
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 04-27-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Cetaphil Daylong Sunscreen SPF50 is my favourite. I use it for skiing and windsurfing. Odourless and stays on in the water. It covers the full spectrum of damaging rays.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Agree that covering up is the way to go.

I've been digging the OR Sun Runner caped sun hat for spring skiing. I wear it all day. It fits under my climbing helmet (BD Vapor) for the down. It can get a little hot at times, but I think the protection is worth it.

I used to go T-shirt most spring days, but lately I've been wearing a paper thin long sleeve shirt to cover my arms. Patagonia capilene lightweight. It's super thin and breathable and works well for me. The Patagonia hooded sun shirt (Tropic comfort hoody) also works well, but I prefer the caped hat over the hood.

Neutrogena broad spectrum 55 sunscreen works well for me. Affordable enough and easy to find, but high quality IMO. I always apply to the face and neck at the start of the day, and then reapply every 1-2 hours throughout the day to exposed skin (face, neck, and ears), even wearing the sun cap. If I remember I'll still apply some to my arms and shoulders before putting the long sleeve shirt on, but I'm definitely not reapplying here under a shirt throughout the day.

I keep SPF 15 lip balm in my pocket and reapply liberally. At least every hour. I hit the bottom of my nose with the lip balm when I use it.

Whatever you do, cover up as much as possible and reapply sunscreen & lip balm often.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    Cetaphil Daylong Sunscreen SPF50 is my favourite. I use it for skiing and windsurfing. Odourless and stays on in the water. It covers the full spectrum of damaging rays.
    Is this it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Had good luck with the Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap
    x3.

My recommendation:
    https://phamix.com/product/ombrelle-face-stick-spf-60/
    Like many such products, can rub it on to your face with gloves on, fingers stay clean and warm. However the mix itself is boutique quality with a combination of physical blockers (titanium dioxide) and the chemical absorbers (Mexoryl, Octo, Avo) with excellent water resistance. No taste on the lips either.

I've toured in a Barmah bush hat for many years. They have the best sun protection to weight and ventilation ratio I've found yet.

They make a million variations, but my favorite version has the mesh top for ventilation. The "Foldaway" or "Squashy" versions do better with being stuffed inside packs. Most of them look something like this:

Name:  1068BarmahFoldawaySuedeCooler_2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  53.7 KB

As far as sunscreen, I do fine even on spring tours so long as I use it, and I don't need to worry too much about what kind - though zinc oxide seems safest, as every few years we seem to learn that the last one caused cancer and we should switch. Going Paleo helped a lot: I can still burn, but not as quickly or easily. (I think minimizing PUFA and maximizing SFA is the key here.)

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Is this it?
    That’s the manufacturer. It’s this one.
    https://www.skinsafeproducts.com/day...spf-50-100ml-0

I usually buy it in Europe or the ME where it’s half the price that it is on Amazon. I haven’t found anything that works as well. It doesn’t run and it works well on my lips. I usually put on two coats where one can see that I’m coated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums