Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Blue Lizard sunscreen. Has zinc oxide and titanium but rubs in (mostly). Not greasy. Rated to something like 4 hours in the water in Australia (where it's from).

Don't fuss with hats under your helmet any longer, get the best of both worlds with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Walmart Equate SPF50 is consistently the CR Best Buy.
    I lather ^ on every day. In the alpine in Spring I use a hood (Icebreaker One Sheep Suit) and visor.

Parasol

I have a buff but have been interested in blackstrap, which has a product with a chin shape...seems less restrictive

Bsbrand.com

On topic, I find challenge when dealing with both sunscreen and insect repellent. Classic late spring/early summer skiing in the high Sierra, ime, involves strolling through bogs and a peaking skeeter hatch, who tend to stick around even when one is a thousand feet up on the snowy bowls. Strategies?

I've been doing 7-to-9 day alpine traverses each summer for years, lots of summer glacier travel. Here's what works for me:

Sun shirt, woven non-stretch fabric, e.g., Ex Officio, Columbia. Woven fabric does not stretch and helps stabilize your backpack at lumbar area. Woven also dries faster and is cooler. Knit fabric introduces a shearing layer and allows the backpack to slide down the small of your back. Woven shirt when carrying multi-day pack in hot weather is tied for my #1 piece of advice re summer mountain travel (see note below re permethrin-treated clothing for other #1).

Caped sun hat, e.g., Ex Offico, Patagonia. I cut down the brim, finish by sewing on bias binding tape (industrial machine required) because full brim impedes my vertical line of sight when ascending steeper stuff. Big issue for me since I had brain surgery and right inner ear removed. Get a caped sun hat that fits under your hard hat.

Full-length pants for extended travel on snow and glacier. No brainer.

Coppertone Sport 30 SPF and Banana Boat Sport 30 SPF are my current favorite lotion-based sunblocks cuz they don't sweat off. IME Bullfrog sweats off in half the time. Maybe it's a matter of different sweat chemistry. I sometimes use the liquid spray-on stuff, which applies easy and fast, but doesn't last as long.

SFP 15 or better chapstick for lips and nostrils: Use whatever works for you. Keep it handy and apply often. On snow and glacier, work the stuff up into your nostrils to avoid sunburn inside nostrils. Smells bad but better than sunburned nostrils.

Avoid walking with mouth agape on snow and glacier ice lest you might get sunburned roof of mouth, which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    On topic, I find challenge when dealing with both sunscreen and insect repellent. Classic late spring/early summer skiing in the high Sierra, ime, involves strolling through bogs and a peaking skeeter hatch, who tend to stick around even when one is a thousand feet up on the snowy bowls. Strategies?
    I treat all my summer hiking/climbing shirts, pants, hats, buffs and one pair of camp sox with permethrin for bugs. (I think there's a thread about that. If not, ask me about cost-effective permethrin treatment.) Since I've been doing that I've used close to zero DEET. IME, permethrin-treated clothing is the #1 summer backcountry travel technological leap in the past 10-15 years, a game changer for black fly season, mosquito peak, noseeums, etc. Great for high lakes fishing and ticks at lower elevation.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 04-22-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    I treat all my summer hiking/climbing shirts, pants, hats, buffs and one pair of camp sox with permethrin for bugs. (I think there's a thread about that. If not, ask me about cost-effective permethrin treatment.) Since I've been doing that I've used close to zero DEET. IME, permethrin-treated clothing is the #1 summer backcountry travel technological leap in the past 10-15 years, a game changer for black fly season, mosquito peak, noseeums, etc. Great for high lakes fishing and ticks at lower elevation.
    Thanks for the reminder. I've read the permethrin discussions on here before and have been very intrigued. If I remember right, it is toxic to cats? That's always been a bit of concern to me as we have cats. Are there general disposal issues, too? I'm on well and septic.

If I remember right, it is toxic to cats? That's always been a bit of concern to me as we have cats. Are there general disposal issues, too? I'm on well and septic.
    You should do research on that. I've read that it's toxic to cats in liquid form but safe after it dries on your clothing. I usually treat with a pump spray bottle (inexpensive agricultural stuff diluted with water to 1% solution) outside in still wind and stored the liquid permethrin and spray bottle away from the cat. As a precaution, we kept our permethrin-treated clothing in a separate drawer where our cat couldn't get to it.

We currently don't have cats. If we did, I'd find a place to treat away from my home.

I've never had a need to dispose any of my solution. I dilute it then store in a pump spray bottle. I treat clean dry garments, but don't saturate so there's little or no dripping. A couple times I have treated a bunch of clothing via dipping, thoroughly wringing out (wearing rubber gloves) and hang drying, always pouring the solution back into a container for future use.

Note that shit loads of permethrin are used for agricultural use, e.g., washing horses, dipping sheep, and pest control, e.g. spraying around house foundations, in concentrations much higher than 1% and huge volumes. Lots of permethrin is introduced into the aquifer in agricultural regions. Garment spraying would represent some tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of that.

I've also read that it's not good for fish, so I would never treat near a stream, river or lake.

^^^Thanks for the details!

Very useful thread. This wasn't an issue for me on the East coast. I've been getting fried in CO recently. Going to try covering up more on runs/ski tours.

Good stuff as always, Steve.

High Alpine Sun-Protection Gear/Sunblock/Strategies?

I'm a big fan of my ex officio shirt. I've had it for nearly two decades and use it often from ski touring, to days at the beach/river, to long days paddling, to warm and sunny days doing yard, tree work, or other outdoor projects at home. For such a lightweight fabric, it's held up remarkably well.

To clarify, I'm generally fine 90% of the time. The problem is that one-little fuck up is all it takes this time of year.

I like these for all seasons.
    Name:  009GY__15251.1491420781.500.500.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  28.0 KB

I was reading this Friday and was thinking "Really? Sunburned nostrils?"

Guess what I got on Saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I was reading this Friday and was thinking "Really? Sunburned nostrils?"

Guess what I got on Saturday...
    Heh, it's one of those things that sounds implausible until it happens to you. Hurts, doesn't it? Don't get too discouraged: sunburned roof of mouth is worse.

So, I managed to seven ski biggish touring days in the high Sierra without getting fried this time around. Here's what I did:

(1) I wore either a buff to my chin or a sunshirt zipped to just under my chin along with a baseball cap nearly the entire time. I took the hat off for descents. I was not afraid to look like a dork.

(2) I put on sunblock and chapstick at least once every two hours. Often when I'm touring, I won't let myself take a break until I reach certain landmarks. This time I tried not to do that.

(3) I put on a layer of this psuedo-fancy french sunblock (Andre Lorent) with some zinc in the mornings.* It's easily absorbed by the skin and doesn't leave any residue. Unfortunately, someone associated with company will email you several times to ask about your purchase of their sunblock, which is annoying. The bottle was a little too big and heavy to bring with me on tours.

(4) So I brought a smaller bottle of this Nuetrogena 70 spf stuff with me on tours and, as mentioned above, applied it liberally.

(5) I used this Banana Boat 50 spf chapstick, which somebody here recommended, liberally on my lips. I also put some under my nose for good measure.

*Bonus: According to the item description, it contains an ingredient that reverses the aging process of the skin. So not only did I not get burned, I Benjamin Buttoned at the same time. Good value, that.

I started using Sawyer sunscreen a couple years ago-base of the red cap 50 spf in the morning and re-up through out the day with the yellow cap 30 spf. The 50 has titanium dioxide and is a bit of weird texture but it works really well.

Buff in the pack but I don't like wearing them much. I have a bushy beard which isn't that comfortable under a buff. Usually go with a loose fitting sun shirt with a hood over a ball cap and good sunglasses-Sierra Trading has some good deals on Patagonia and Simms versions I've used. If the wind picks up, the cap goes over the hood and it works fine.

This is for anything in high UV places-fishing, raft trips, alpine hiking, hunting (usually lay off a ton of sunscreen and go with light hooded wool shirt from First Lite, mag works there BTW), touring, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I'm super mega white and I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Spray when I'm at home and up in the hills. Shit is spf 100 so it's rated for use by vampires, albinos, and web developers. It goes on surprisingly clean and, when properly and thoroughly applied, lasts me up to 5 hours without needing to reapply.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/ul...ortby=ourPicks
    This just came from Amazon today. Stoked to try it out.

I only use the products from SolRx. I have no affiliation with them, its just the best sunscreens I have found. I generally use the SPF 50 zinc oxide and the regular SPF 30. They are both awesome. The SPF 50 Zinc Oxide lasts for a long time. I find that I can go ski touring for a whole day without reapplying it and without getting any hint of burn. I have blond hair, blue eyes and pale nordic skin.

anybody else get fogged glasses when wearing a buff?
    catcrap works so-so, slide my glasses down my nose a bit,
    suggestions? (first-world problems, i know ....)
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Friend of mine runs this company in Portland, ME. Not getting burned is their bag. http://www.12wt.com

I find it doesn't matter what I use as long as I remember to reapply regularly which... doesn't always happen. A tilly hat or baseball cap helps. I can't stand anything over my mouth or nose for any reason, but I imagine that if you can a buff or similar would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I'm super mega white and I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Spray when I'm at home and up in the hills. Shit is spf 100 so it's rated for use by vampires, albinos, and web developers. It goes on surprisingly clean and, when properly and thoroughly applied, lasts me up to 5 hours without needing to reapply.
    http://www.neutrogena.com/product/ul...ortby=ourPicks
    As an albino web developer myself I can confirm that this shit is the real deal.