Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Hafjell is a cool place!
    Yes. I worked there for a season after college. Cool valley and close enough to Oslo.

duct tape is soooo 20th century ...... get Gorilla Tape;
    superior in all ways, especially when wet and cold;
    and yes, im spancered .......
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

This year I've added an emergency sleeping bag that doubles as a sled/shelter. Bought a Spot for myself as a Christmas gift to my family. Separated my first aid kit into a "Oh Shit" and "Oh F*CK" bags and clearly labeled everything so that if I'm down someone can hopefully figure shit out. Added a complete dyna toe plus epoxy and a ratcheting screwdriver. Bailing wire has its definite uses. 30ft length of 6mm rope and a few lockers.

I have the parts in my BC shovel to make a rescue sled out of my skis, but I'm stupidly hesitant about drilling holes for it into the nice new pairs skis I'm running. Soon.

After skinning long distances has become my new norm, it is humbling to try and go 200 m without skis in deep snow. You are on a smaller boat in a vastly bigger sea than you assume just a few miles out from your car, should something go wrong. Guy I was learning from tonight in a course had a good adage - They say your pack gets heavier the older you get because you eventually start carrying the shit you actually need after enough rough learning experiences.

What is the pack weight up to now? 30 lbs or so? I carry 1/2 z rest pad. Former wilderness medicine doc and ski partner of mine (until I lost him to Grandfatherhood) said that hypothermia is usually significant problem with bc injuries. Pad is also helpful if you have to bivy. Weighs nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    MSR Reactor 1.0L or 1.7L FTW
    That's a good idea, lighter than carrying extra water

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Anyone have success with bringing a cat that can be deployed after a slide to get help?

Name:  9xm6xwluj4a21.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  62.9 KB

The 10 essentials
    Map
    Compass
    Sunglasses and sunscreen
    Extra clothing
    Headlamp or flashlight
    First-aid supplies
    Firestarter
    Matches
    Knife
    Extra food

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Anyone have success with bringing a cat that can be deployed after a slide to get help?

Name:  9xm6xwluj4a21.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  62.9 KB
    lol that rules

Just emptied out my pack to check everything for upcoming year. Weighs in at 4120 grams. Here it goes:
    Altitude, Compass, Inclinometer, UAC apps on phone. Missing: Leatherman, which us usually in my pocket. Gorilla tape and metal wire (to clear boot inserts) wrapped on poles, Screwdriver has Phillips Poze 2 and 3, star and hex in handle)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	347179
    What's in your pack?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Extra socks always, extra gloves usually
    Stick-on toe warmers... to keep phone alive in cold
    And I just wrote the contents on the outside of my fix kit and med kit... 1) so I know whats in there before pulling everything out and 2) checklist on what needs to be replaced/refreshed
    Inevitably I'd pull apart my kit bag, then realize oh shit its in my pack brain - and vice versa