Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Not surprising that guy with the handle Hacksaw is suggesting we carry a hacksaw in the BC.

That's right......
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

A large hose clamp will keep your boot on a ski with a busted binding. FYI you can fold these up to make them small.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

What to carry in the backcountry....

A 4/6 pack of safety candles and large black plastic bag. I use the safety candles for skin wax(cheap cheap at the $ store and it works well) and black plastic bag for melting snow in the sun. Both could be a good shettler for a night. I still have to refill my parachute/kite string supply. That shit is strong and static and has some sort of wax coating. It's ez to tie and keep tight. Skied a broken og diamir for 4 days with that string holding it together

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    As for RECCO, there have been a number of LIVE recoveries with it.
    In the backcountry? Or just in lift-access terrain?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Wasn't the pole repair kit a piece of thin gauge aluminum and a couple hose clamps? Wrap the aluminum, use hose clamps to keep in place. similar works for tent poles, if the tent design allows.

a binding buddy/hex driver with a supply of bits that fit your gear if you are going luxury. if nothing else for the car/gear bag.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    several live recoverys of off-piste skiers. parse that how you will. Not a party self-rescue tool, a tool for SAR (some euro choppers have it mounted) if only for body recovery in a short time

All mentioned: bothy bag, warm puffy, InReach for efficient 2-way comms. I also carry a very small inflatable mattress, about 3 feet long.

You need to pack for your specific environment, current conditions and proximity to help. For example, on many days for me, avalanches are actually a second order hazard v.s. serious injury from skiing into a hardwood tree. Other times/places it is cold (Canadian Rockies). Other times it is impossibility of egress due to terrain or weather magnifying a minor gear/injury issue.
    Last edited by neck beard; 04-25-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

They have been in and out of bounds and even in the backcountry too. Mainly in Europe.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

PLB or inReach

I would guess Lee tours enough to know all that.

Lee, I've never seen such a device. My guess is it's not made because the insulated thermos part would weigh too much for most people to carry.

Hose clamps are a good one — feel pretty dumb for not having thought of that given how often I use them around the lab.

OP: Recco reflector seems hardly worth mentioning, right? My understanding is they're pretty much useful for body recovery only...
    Thx rod and auvgeek. Seems there's not a product like that. Probably because a thermos with good insulation would be a poor cookpot for any stove

Btw - when i start a biggish day I start with hot water in the bottle so that i can melt snow in that bottle. And also if its hot enough a day to really need water I'll stick that bottle close to base layer which would then melt snow. Can get 2.5l out of a 1l bottle sometimes

Re hoseclamps. That's good for a kit but I have something like 5 voile straps! Overkill but light and good for fixing stuff

On the jetboil/emergency stove question, on longer tours I'll carry a Supercat, some alcohol to feed it, and a metal water bottle I can use to make hot drinks.

In the Wasatch a charged cell phone and a GPS app on it/knowing how to get your coordinates is huge (i.e compass on the iPhone) + generally knowing where the hell you are. I'm also a big fan of at least a basic first aid class, confidence when the shit hits the fan is huge. I usually try to think of my plan if something goes wrong before I leave the car (i.e. skiing the Wasatch is going to be different then a remote trip in Canada and require different things)
    Last edited by sfotex; 05-09-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    i've been thinking of a jetboil ever since a friend of mine was rescued from a 2m deep burial by another group of friends. He was in shock and the rescuers had a jetboil for fluids and warming. I'd like something that is like my thermos of tea but with a canister attached so you can boil up more water if need be. Obviously there's more weight and bulk but it seems like if I can find a Jetboil that doubles as a thermos that'd be ideal. IS there such a thing?

Also now carry a Bothy Bag for 2.
    Resurrecting this thread a bit, but I'm going through TGR learning about backcountry stuff. If you're still looking for a stove, I've used this one for a couple years now for backpacking/camping. It's pretty much the same as a whisper light but costs $8 so you can buy two and not worry about losing/breaking it. Works really well IMO. I've got absolutely no stake in this thing either

https://www.amazon.com/Icetek-Sports...70_&dpSrc=srch

MSR Reactor 1.0L or 1.7L FTW

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Oh and a 9mm for wolves and or 12 gauge slug gun for grizz or polar bears
    I was on a base camp trip last year north of Terrace, BC and ran into a grizzly that followed us for 15 min at 15-30m. For base camps and late spring missions I'm now going to take some bear bangers and bear spray(alcohol based as it doesn't freeze). It might seem overboard but last year there were more then a couple bear human incidents in our area.

The local conservation officer recommended bear spray and bangers over a gun.

Somebody gave me an Aquaheat chemical water heater. I threw it in the bottom of my pack and forgot about it. It boils a small amount of water, which you can then use to make a hot drink, or dump it in your water bottle and melt snow.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

These packs are getting awfully heavy. Already mentioned but i'll second (or third) duct tape in your pack. Anyone care to elucidate me on the use of hose clamps for emergency repairs; do you clamp your entire boot onto the binding or what?

Hose clamps and a beer can for pole repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Keep duct tape wrapped around each ski pole preferable closer to the handle so that swing weight isn't affected too much. A 1/4 inch thick of tape wrapped is good. I've repaired a snapped pole with duct tape and a stick that I carved down a bit and it worked perfect for the rest of a weeklong trip. I snapped the pole on day 2.

ACR RescueLink Beacon and an emergency whistle are both good ideas - the beacon is great for calling in the cavalry, while the whistle can alert nearby parties to your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    emergency whistle are both good ideas - the beacon is great for calling in the cavalry, while the whistle can alert nearby parties to your situation.
    A good fox whistle with a lanyard is a poor mans radio
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
    Keep duct tape wrapped around each ski pole preferable closer to the handle so that swing weight isn't affected too much. A 1/4 inch thick of tape wrapped is good. I've repaired a snapped pole with duct tape and a stick that I carved down a bit and it worked perfect for the rest of a weeklong trip. I snapped the pole on day 2.
    +1. Doesn't matter to me where you keep the duct tape, but the tape plus a stick inserted in the pole is a great way to salvage a pole.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    +1. Doesn't matter to me where you keep the duct tape, but the tape plus a stick inserted in the pole is a great way to salvage a pole.
    If in the alpine, two hose clamp and some kind of slpinting (like pastic sheet) though I've been meaining to try a wire mesh split or trimmed SAM split from a med kit.

Hafjell is a cool place!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I cut up an old beat to fuck pole, sliced it in half. Couple of those should be good splints for pole repair along with a hose clamp. Think I saw it in some Andrew McLean video.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I cut up an old beat to fuck pole, sliced it in half. Couple of those should be good splints for pole repair along with a hose clamp. Think I saw it in some Andrew McLean video.
    I must ask what else is in this backcountry kit of yours?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I must ask what else is in this backcountry kit of yours?
    Not much. I was just drinking beer watching McLean videos in the garage and it seemed like a good idea. To be clear, it's like 2 3" pieces of curved aluminium. The beer can mentioned by Koot probably works just as well.

- A few feet a bailing wire
    - 2 hose clamps (one big, one small)
    - Handful of Voile straps
    - Various screws
    - some length of paracord.
    - duct tape
    - multitool/knife.