Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Because people generally only talk about women being good looking getting them spansered. No one is saying John Collinson is sponsored because he's good looking (no offence to John just the first dude who came to mind + he is fucking ripped). That's why people get uncomfortable with the notion, granted I can't refute that looks never take a part in spanserships.
    What? You jerk off to Collinson's Instagram?

First impressions and looks can have a lot of impact on someones success, it's not everything but it has an effect. That shit is human and people need to fucking deal with it.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It's only gay if you actually kiss.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What you don't?

And I totally agree with everything californiagrowin said in response to me, I just think the discussion is typically more often about girls looks cause let's be honest most of the demographic of extreme sports is dude's and dude's like to talk about hot girls. (And occasionally we talk about John Collinson's looks too)

What you don't?

And I totally agree with everything californiagrowin said in response to me, I just think the discussion is typically more often about girls looks cause let's be honest most of the demographic of extreme sports is dude's and dude's like to talk about hot girls. (And occasionally we talk about John Collinson's looks too)
    Also, Jon Olson, the original male blonde bombshell.

What you don't?

More importantly, Do you see yourself kissing John Collinson while self pleasuring yourself?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

What you don't?

and, gleich was often the cute skier girl smiling in the sun in ski shoots before she transitioned to more substantial ski pursuits so the glove actually fits a little here

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    More importantly, Do you see yourself kissing John Collinson while self pleasuring yourself?
    FFS, I ain't got no crush on John... Angel... well maybe, she's super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I've stopped skiing with some partners because of their need to constantly stop for selfies or group shots. It's annoying.
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by sickturd View Post
    Hey look it's Jon Olsson!

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Good article.

Maybe I should spend more time on backcountry magazine?
    I hear they can hook you up with gear from awesome companies

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    I hear they can hook you up with gear from awesome companies
    Lol... maybe some sweet RMU's!!!

But seriously, they backed it up - unlike RMU - and BC is a great magazine.

Stalker Profile (guess):

- a 2006 U of U graduate
    - Filmed one day with Level 1 in LCC (but got the shot)
    - Made the credits in one film and the crash reel
    - got sixth place at a comp at Park City
    - tried to compete in the FWT one season, but couldn't afford all the stops
    - crashed out in the Snowbird comp
    - got turned down by Caroline's ugly friend at the bar back in '06 and has been pissed off ever since
    - currently works at an outdoor retailer back home in Michigan while living in his parent's basement
    - drives a 2001 Chevy Envoy

^ hahahaha dead the fuck on

Too bad that's like 25% of any Tram ride at Snowbird

Now that I have heard of her, should I pronounce the "ch" in Gleich like germans do?

Click play on all of these at once if you are bored http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ujf/blog/German_ch.html

ps, in general, girl pros could consider less trying to send-it and charge-hard blah blah blah like guys do. Let guys kill themselves for sponsors and ego and 'progressing the sport'. Girls are better than that.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    2 things.

1) Plenty of dudes get contracts based upon looks and image... Companies love not having to hire models for a spring/summer lookbook. Not to mention, good looking people are generally better at sales because people are unconsciously drawn to good looking people. they just don't get overt credit for their good looks because...

2) pretty much without exception, male athletics are at a much higher level than female. the gnarliness and impressiveness of the athleticism in pro womens sports is crazy when compared to a normal dude, but typically pales when compared to a male professional in the same sport (Angel Collison seems to be getting into some pretty rarified air though). Therefore, traits outside of just plain athletic talent are more coveted for females whether that is personality or looks or outside interests (Sarah Burke seemed to embody the whole damn package being tops in every category). these other traits are used to draw attention, because the actual feats accomplished are generally not that impressive to the person who has been desensitized by seeing LeBron james dunking, Ian Mac skiing mach chicken and stomping 70+ footers, or DJ hitting 400 yd drives. The WOW factor is what sells extreme sports, and women very rarely produce WOW moments that compare to the moments captured by their male compatriots.
    1: Yes, male athletes also sometimes profit from their looks. However, the "ski model" type thing is much more common for women. Caroline Gleich seems to have started off that way and progressed to something else. For men, looks are an added benefit, while for women they are very often front and center to their athletic career, at least if you define athletic careers in terms of sponsorship deals. Arguably, the idea of what is considered good looking is also far more diverse for men than for women in sports.

2: Yes, women by and large produce less extreme gnarliness of the kind you mention (big hucks, high speed, etc). If you were to measure badassery by different parameters, perhaps the result of the comparison would change. Either way, both the fact that female looks sell and that female athletic performance seemingly does not produce enough "WOW factor" are deeply tied to the fact that the extreme and action sports industry, and really the sports industry as a whole, are geared towards male participants, male viewers and male buyers of the stuff companies are trying to sell.

It is bullshit that world class female surfers who do not fit into the single available mold of how to look and how to be cannot get sponsorships. It is bullshit that the same thing happens in many other sports. To me, a woman, the WOW factor produced by female pro athletes in action sports is not about the size of their huck compared to the size of the huck of a male athlete. It is about the size of their huck/their story/their accomplishments, period. Angel Collinson is not pretty good for a woman. She is just pretty good. Female athletic accomplishments can stand on their own and to the women watching, it is completely irrelevant what the men are doing. Having female pro athletes is about representation and giving little girls role models, and showcasing their achievements. There is no good reason why female pro athletes should have to cater to male aesthetic tastes in order to get better sponsorship deals or for any other reason.

Re the original story: Drew Tabke wrote a great comment on the facebook post, which says it all.
    "When a woman in the public sphere stands up against troll/stalker/rape culture, it 100% guarantees continued harassment from the same pathetic ilk of mouth-breathing chauvinist keyboard jockeys that she is speaking out against in the first place. Kudos to Caroline Gleich for being a person smart enough to know the consequences of raising her voice, but principled and courageous enough to do it anyway."
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Stalker Profile (guess):

- a 2006 U of U graduate
    - Filmed one day with Level 1 in LCC (but got the shot)
    - Made the credits in one film and the crash reel
    - got sixth place at a comp at Park City
    - tried to compete in the FWT one season, but couldn't afford all the stops
    - crashed out in the Snowbird comp
    - got turned down by Caroline's ugly friend at the bar back in '06 and has been pissed off ever since
    - currently works at an outdoor retailer back home in Michigan while living in his parent's basement
    - drives a 2001 Chevy Envoy
    Just spit coffee at my computer
    Maybe he was trying to be TJ BURKE and never made it......from Michigan
    always forward but never straight

Klar nailed it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    1: Yes, male athletes also sometimes profit from their looks. However, the "ski model" type thing is much more common for women. Caroline Gleich seems to have started off that way and progressed to something else. For men, looks are an added benefit, while for women they are very often front and center to their athletic career, at least if you define athletic careers in terms of sponsorship deals. Arguably, the idea of what is considered good looking is also far more diverse for men than for women in sports.

2: Yes, women by and large produce less extreme gnarliness of the kind you mention (big hucks, high speed, etc). If you were to measure badassery by different parameters, perhaps the result of the comparison would change. Either way, both the fact that female looks sell and that female athletic performance seemingly does not produce enough "WOW factor" are deeply tied to the fact that the extreme and action sports industry, and really the sports industry as a whole, are geared towards male participants, male viewers and male buyers of the stuff companies are trying to sell.

It is bullshit that world class female surfers who do not fit into the single available mold of how to look and how to be cannot get sponsorships. It is bullshit that the same thing happens in many other sports. To me, a woman, the WOW factor produced by female pro athletes in action sports is not about the size of their huck compared to the size of the huck of a male athlete. It is about the size of their huck/their story/their accomplishments, period. Angel Collinson is not pretty good for a woman. She is just pretty good. Female athletic accomplishments can stand on their own and to the women watching, it is completely irrelevant what the men are doing. Having female pro athletes is about representation and giving little girls role models, and showcasing their achievements. There is no good reason why female pro athletes should have to cater to male aesthetic tastes in order to get better sponsorship deals or for any other reason.

Re the original story: Drew Tabke wrote a great comment on the facebook post, which says it all.
    "When a woman in the public sphere stands up against troll/stalker/rape culture, it 100% guarantees continued harassment from the same pathetic ilk of mouth-breathing chauvinist keyboard jockeys that she is speaking out against in the first place. Kudos to Caroline Gleich for being a person smart enough to know the consequences of raising her voice, but principled and courageous enough to do it anyway."
    1) I can agree with that... though I have always been a terrible judge of male looks. Brad Pitt is nothing special, but I can see why Tom cruise is good looking for example.

2) I agree with the part about Angel, that is what I was trying to say... every once in a blue moon a lady comes along that has the kind of freak athleticism to keep up with the boys at the highest level and be a full equal.

If you care more about the story behind the athlete, and the personal interest stories then that's awesome. Go forth to support and enjoy. But for me personally and the other 95% of sports viewers, we watch sports to see the best athletes (regardless of gender) on earth compete and perform at superhuman levels. I don't give a shit about the person, just the athlete. Why do you think so many of the most popular athletes in the world are complete dicks yet still the most popular?

Also, I know a couple of ladies in another action sport who are about as good as me, yet have low level sponsorship deals. I am the worst rider by a good deal amongst the dudes that I ride with, and most of them do not have deals. The fact that dudes in general have to put so more on the line, and have to perform at such a higher level to get noticed can rub people the wrong way. IMO, it all comes down to numbers and the fact there are waaaaay fewer ladies in these kind of sports and shops/brands are trying to reach that demographic so they try to hook up anyone who could be viewed as a role model to other ladies. I view it as sales, but I can see how it rubs folks the wrong way.

But at the end of the day, how sad must someones life be that he needs to get his jollies by not only putting down someone else, but personally attacking and trying to inflict emotional harm on someone doing nothing but producing really cool media for your enjoyment? Like I said, social media trolling/hating is shitty but is part of the game... just like any other sport. Calling on a personal phone? That deserves a broken face and jail time IMO.

Harassment is wrong. Harassment of people, animals, plants, the planet, everything. Never bought into it not even in the terrible twos.

That being said, Caroline Gleich rubs many people wrong. It's not what she is doing and has done that gets under one's skin, it is how she has done it and continues. I think californiagrown has hit the nail on the head.

When she was transitioning from model to athlete she spent a great deal of time whining and being a victim. The media spent a lot of time portraying her as the "real deal" when she was only trying to become that, but was not, yet. At that same time, she was all "look at me, look at me." If I could have influenced / influence her it would be for her actions to speak for themselves, not oneself. Let others tell the world how great you are. Same as I influenced my own offspring. So, yeah, she has always been a target.

She finally has my begrudging respect because she is out there getting after it a lot. She has my full respect for spending her time and energy using the influence that she has for environmental protection purposes. Time and energy spent in this manner cannot be deducted from any of our lives, let alone the earth's. Kudos.

Won't even approach the "Shitting Gallery", Apostle McLean, and being an acolyte of him and his list. The Ribbon? The Great White Icicle? Ridiculous for many reasons. That, however, is another topic.

Caroline exhibits an abundance of lack. She still has the whiny tone. My wife walked in when I was listening to her Powder podcast and wanted to know who the whiny, victimy person being interviewed was.

So, yeah, until she womans up she will continue to be a target if she is going to continue to use social media to put bread on her table.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    If you care more about the story behind the athlete, and the personal interest stories then that's awesome. Go forth to support and enjoy. But for me personally and the other 95% of sports viewers, we watch sports to see the best athletes (regardless of gender) on earth compete and perform at superhuman levels. I don't give a shit about the person, just the athlete. Why do you think so many of the most popular athletes in the world are complete dicks yet still the most popular?

Also, I know a couple of ladies in another action sport who are about as good as me, yet have low level sponsorship deals. I am the worst rider by a good deal amongst the dudes that I ride with, and most of them do not have deals. The fact that dudes in general have to put so more on the line, and have to perform at such a higher level to get noticed can rub people the wrong way. IMO, it all comes down to numbers and the fact there are waaaaay fewer ladies in these kind of sports and shops/brands are trying to reach that demographic so they try to hook up anyone who could be viewed as a role model to other ladies. I view it as sales, but I can see how it rubs folks the wrong way.
    For some athletes I care about the backstory, for others I don't. For me that depends on the person, not so much the gender. Regarding who gets what kind of sponsorship deals for what kind for what kind of talent, I figure it doesn't make much sense to compare things strictly by gender and who is "better". I know women and men who I consider to be better than me at skiing who are not sponsored, and women and men who are. I also know women and men who I do not consider to be better than me at skiing who are sponsored in some form or other.

Men have it harder in some ways, women in others. It's not a competition of hardships. I care more about women specific issues because I am one and can relate to these issues more than to the issues men trying to go pro have to deal with. And simply because I would like to see more female pros and participants in action sports. That doesn't mean the men don't have valid problems. I'm just not as interested, much like you are probably not as interested in the women's issues for the same reasons. Since there are so few women, I feel that is important that those of us who are around speak up in these kind of discussions so that our interests are at least somewhat represented.

Obviously there are less women in action sports so sure, it makes sense that brands want to reach more men. That doesn't mean I can't wish there were more women doing these sports (why do you think there are so few, by the way?) and that brands would cater more to women, because I personally would benefit from that (e.g. in the form of better gear options).

As for wanting to watch the best athletes on the planet, I'll try to clarify the point I was trying to make: Skiing is my main sport and I enjoy watching the FWT live streams. I do not give a shit about the men's categories. I watch every single one of the women. I know some of them, I competed with some of them, these are my people. Saying I don't care at all about the achievements of the best male athletes on the planet (not that those are necessarily found on the fwt, but that's a whole other discussion) is an exaggeration, but I care so much more about the best female athletes on the planet. I suspect that this is true for many women who are active in some sport and follow that sport's pro circuit.

I'm going to advocate for what and whom I want to see and be entertained by. If women in sports do not ask for what they want (more sponsorship opportunities, better gear, more money for the pros, and so on and so forth), we will not get it. Men are naturally free to do the same and arguable much better at it.

About the OP Caroline Gleich thing, yup, I agree.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    The media spent a lot of time portraying her as the "real deal" when she was only trying to become that, but was not, yet. At that same time, she was all "look at me, look at me." If I could have influenced / influence her it would be for her actions to speak for themselves, not oneself. Let others tell the world how great you are. Same as I influenced my own offspring. So, yeah, she has always been a target.
    For an outdoorsy athlete, your social media presence and interview media is the same as a corporate job interview. You gotta sell yourself to raise your profile which will in-turn get you more funding. You need to be your strongest advocate. Maybe she did it in a way that turned a lot of people off? idk, I never followed her. But I could not disagree more with the statement to let your "actions speak for themselves, not oneself. Let others tell the world how great you are".

sitting around waiting for others to recognize your accomplishments is a real easy way to get overlooked... in terms of a pro skier, but especially in life.