Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    We have raised our daughter to emulate Angel Collinson.
    That woman raises awareness in many ways without whining "me, too".
    Oh, and she lets her actions speak for themselves.
    Just look at the difference in their instagrams.
    Where cg is saying "poor me", ac is saying "lucky me".
    About the same trials and tribulations.

btw supermoon, I would be poking at a member of either sex for conducting themselves the way cg does.
    She is not climbing for equality, she is climbing for sympathy.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Nobody is saying you all aren't good dudes in general, but that also doesn't mean what you are saying here isn't just repeating some of the most classic sexist language that gets repeated about almost ANY woman who becomes successful in their field.

Constant tone police, constantly diminishing what they've accomplished (like saying CG is "camping" not climbing fucking Everest), saying they are "whiny" or "bitchy," asking why they can't be like [insert other person here]. It's fucked up and frankly sort of boring. If you don't think you are sexist, but you say this stuff then maybe you should exam how you speak. Maybe do some reading about implicit bias as well.

TFW I think it's awesome that your girls have a great role model in Angel. I have zero issues with that. BUT when you say that they shouldn't be like CG who is successful in a different way and has different priorities I think is wrong.

When you look at male athletes there are a lot who just want to shred, but there are lots that want success beyond just their skiing, or want to advocate for causes, or just want attention. On this board there is some critique of men doing this stuff, but the amount of ire and hate that women get is way out of proportion. That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Nobody is saying you all aren't good dudes in general, but that also doesn't mean what you are saying here isn't just repeating some of the most classic sexist language that gets repeated about almost ANY woman who becomes successful in their field.

Constant tone police, constantly diminishing what they've accomplished (like saying CG is "camping" not climbing fucking Everest), saying they are "whiny" or "bitchy," asking why they can't be like [insert other person here]. It's fucked up and frankly sort of boring. If you don't think you are sexist, but you say this stuff then maybe you should exam how you speak. Maybe do some reading about implicit bias as well.

TFW I think it's awesome that your girls have a great role model in Angel. I have zero issues with that. BUT when you say that they shouldn't be like CG who is successful in a different way and has different priorities I think is wrong.

When you look at male athletes there are a lot who just want to shred, but there are lots that want success beyond just their skiing, or want to advocate for causes, or just want attention. On this board there is some critique of men doing this stuff, but the amount of ire and hate that women get is way out of proportion. That's the problem.
    You bring up some good points.
    CG has my respect for some of the ways she is using her notoriety.
    And she has accomplished many things she has set out to do.
    However, a role model for me and mine is someone who's cup is half full, not half empty.
    Has nothing to do with what gender they are.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Hope this expedition has a happy ending....

Seems like attempting to climb Everest with a torn acl and a flu is an ill advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Seems like attempting to climb Everest with a torn acl and a flu is an ill advised strategy
    Miscommunications! I'm home, attempting to poop with no acl and the common cold.

This Caroline lady though...really growing on me!

I retract all those voicemails me and iceman left.

Ugh....in all seriousness though. I hope she gets through all this safe and sound.

Caroline Gleich Harrassment Story

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Ugh....in all seriousness though. I hope she gets through all this safe and sound.
    Me too! Is she still planning on skiing it or climbing back down? I assume the later?

What does a guy do if he puts every ounce of energy into raising an Angel but she ends up being a Caroline?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Me too! Is she still planning on skiing it or climbing back down? I assume the later?
    She says she is still planning on skiing it but "we'll see how it goes" or something like that. I think she'd be psyched just to make the summit at this point, with no ACL and all. She'll probably get over this illness and be able to give it a shot. They do use oxygen so that should help. But Everest is still Everest and no giveaway. I hope she at least is able to get up there and make an attempt at the summit.

I've been raising my daughter to be like a Sofia Goggia but so far she is more Eddie the Eagle. I blame the wife for the non stop BBC stream on the way to race practice.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    whatever bro you stick to the internet
    youre crushin it
    and ill just hang here and irl with my #friendsnotfollowers
    including the blatent sexist one who managed to meet an awesome woman and raise a couple rippin skiers despite it or perhaps without it
    the female one has some skills but theyre most proud of the people they've become
    and i tend to concure
    Judging by your 10,000+ post count you seem to be crushing the internet too. For not liking CG, you and TFW seem to really like to post about her...

Caroline Gleich Harrassment Story

I’m not a CG hater and have defended her in this thread, but I have to admit when I saw the climbing for equality thing my eyes rolled so hard they almost spun completely around. That isn’t going to raise awareness for anything and plenty of women have summited Everest.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

what happens to the equality awareness if she doesnt make it to the top?

Does that just rile up the sexist males to say "i told you so?", and "Everest is no place for a woman" ???

Or is it simply enough "awareness" that she made it there? Pretty sure plenty of women climb everest each season.

I wouldn't be surprised if the electric blanket was provided by the expedition company. A buddy of mine has been guiding Everest the past few seasons and he said there is pretty substantial "arms race" between the companies over who can have the most gourmet food, and streaming movies and most comfortable beds at basecamp. Guess that shit matters when most of the clients are the ultra-wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    My good friend Crazy Terry and his girlfriend were in Nepal this fall on a self guided trek to 18k plus and they both had a virus/altitude sickness and they talked about how they were soooooo cold even with rented rooms in tea houses until they acclimated and worked through the virus. This couple heats their house with wood and keep it at like 50 in the winter at best and they laugh at me if I pull a blanket over me when I stay with them.

I think we can give CG a pass for rocking an electric blanket no? You wouldn't?
    I guess if your bringing a generator why not a few electric blankets. I have an old friend in his 60's guiding the north side at this time. I am following on facebook. His group is using a different style. He has been in the himalaya. Since April 3 trekking to acclimate.

if we're knocking people for being warm in the mountains I hope none of you ever sees how many pairs of gloves I bring with me on a ski tour lol

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

Does that just rile up the sexist males to say "i told you so?", and "Everest is no place for a woman" ???

Or is it simply enough "awareness" that she made it there? Pretty sure plenty of women climb everest each season.

She either makes it to the top or Bobby Riggs wins it all......

Name:  B6B60F48-EFA6-4369-AA40-89FFA448CE44.jpeg
Views: 1154
Size:  32.5 KB

"Equality Awareness"

It is about CG creating "awareness" that CG is "equal" to the nearly 5000 people who have already summited (nearly 600 being women).

CG is not old. A 76 year old lady, Tamae Watanabe, made the summit in 2012. First female summitted in 1975 over 10 years before CG was born.

Maybe she can claim a "first" relating to her ACL? Hope she she climbs safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Somewhere on her web page she says she intends to ski the North Col. That’s where Camp 1 is on the North side, at 7200 meters. So, not the same as skiing from the summit. More like skiing ON Mt Everest than skiing Mt Everest. A badass goal nevertheless.

But, will have to see if she even makes it that high given her injury and illness. Seems to me altitude sickness has similar symptoms to the flu. There’s a doctor on the team who will hopefully make the correct call to avoid a fatal decision in time. $85K is a lot of money, but not worth anyone’s life.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

according to the company website the lead guide is a women who climbed Everest without oxygen.
    off your knees Louie

Ha, it would be funny if a guy was guiding her to her goal of equality.....

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’m not a CG hater and have defended her in this thread, but I have to admit when I saw the climbing for equality thing my eyes rolled so hard they almost spun completely around. That isn’t going to raise awareness for anything and plenty of women have summited Everest.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Ha, it would be funny if a guy was guiding her to her goal of equality.....
    my guess is whatever sherpa she has "assigned" to her is for sure male.

Good luck telling people, fam or not, who should be their role models. My father thought John Wayne was a hero and the VietNam war was a good idea, and my parents thought Negores should probably have more rights, but they should just be patient.

My parents being nice well-meaning people who demanded as much as possible I believe the same way they did didn't have the effect they desired. I suspect such parental admonitions don't work much better in other peopel's families, either.
    Last edited by ms ann thrope; 04-29-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: general incompetence

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    Good luck telling people, fam or not, who should be their role models. My father thought John Wayne was a hero and the VietNam war was a good idea, and my parents thought Negores should probably have more rights, but they should just be patient.

My parents being nice well-meaning people who demanded as much as possible I believe the same way they did didn't have the effect they desired. I suspect such parental admonitions don't work much better in other peopel's families, either.
    I am not giving up that easily. More Vasco Rossi and less BBC on tap next season.