Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    eh maybe.... the levels of domestic abuse against women is pretty staggering... i'd put it at epidemic levels though I don't have any statistics pre 2000 to meet your incorrect definition of epidemic.

that's a pretty fucked up statistic if you ask me and our pussy grabbing president probably isn't going to reduce that stat over the next four years.

It's time domestic abuse is taken seriously.

source: http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...1-deaths-atta/
    I think we are just getting a view of what has always has been the horrible hidden truth.
    My though it s that it used to be even worse! Now, I guess you have a fair point that is supposition on my part.

It is good that we are noticing this demon as a society and turning to face it.

I do think the problem is getting better. However, that shouldn't be construed as "things are OK" because things are fucked and we have a long way to go as a society.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

that's a pretty fucked up statistic if you ask me and our pussy grabbing president probably isn't going to reduce that stat over the next four years.

That stat is sickening.

And yes, in trump's wee little brain, he is superior to all women...and men for that matter.

Lightbulb

Anybody else notice a certain special someone in the comments thread? You know...the kind of special someone who was legally banned from posting on a ski site because his harassment was so over the top.
    You want big air kid? Pull my finger.

source: http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...1-deaths-atta/
    How about this: "One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives. 46.4% lesbians, 74.9% bisexual women and 43.3% heterosexual women reported sexual violence other than rape during their lifetimes, while 40.2% gay men, 47.4% bisexual men and 20.8% heterosexual men reported sexual violence other than rape during their lifetimes."

http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/f...violence_0.pdf

Fucking crazy.

Summit: As an adjective "epidemic" is broadly recognized as being synonymous with "rampant" "widespread" and "pervasive" and that's clearly the case in this context. Let's not split hairs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Johnson View Post
    Anybody else notice a certain special someone in the comments thread? You know...the kind of special someone who was legally banned from posting on a ski site because his harassment was so over the top.
    Scott Abraham was the first person I thought about when I read this. What a fucking tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    How about this: "One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives.
    In the opening part of that executive summary of the CDC study they reference, they state that the nearly 1 in 5 number (18.3% precisely) includes "attempted rape" and "alcohol/drug facilitated completed penetration" as well as "forced penetration."

Now if you ask me, it bothers me when groups have to leave out details... it is manipulative.

Is it not horrific enough to say "nearly 1 in 8?" That is FUCKED UP! Is that not headline worthy?

https://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePreventi...port2010-a.pdf go to page 28 if you want the data breakdown of the quoted stat

46.4% lesbians, 74.9% bisexual women and 43.3% heterosexual women reported sexual violence other than rape during their lifetimes, while 40.2% gay men, 47.4% bisexual men and 20.8% heterosexual men reported sexual violence other than rape during their lifetimes."[/I]
    https://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePreventi...SOfindings.pdf
    is the source for those numbers... this one is worth the read... some of their definitions are so broad as to include meanings different than what the public might think (a girl who is creeped out by some weird fucker going "hey baby how you doin?" on a NYC street would be counted as a victim of sexual violence in the percentages quoted above)... but it is really widespread and there is some fascinating/horrifying data in there.

Summit: As an adjective "epidemic" is broadly recognized as being synonymous with "rampant" "widespread" and "pervasive" and that's clearly the case in this context. Let's not split hairs here.
    You have a point, but I deal with epidemiology so I'm used to specific terms... terms which are used in the epidemiological studies which are the sources those statistics on the journalist fact sheet you linked to. When I hear epidemic I think "above normal, outbreak, sudden increase, etc" because that is what it actually means in healthcare/public health/mental health/preventative health, as opposed to how journalists abuse the term. I get how you see it as splitting hairs, but I hope you get how I don't think it is splitting hairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

that Ciochetti’s Ribbon...sketcharoo. I think I'd have saved that one for last too. God damn.

I have had many great partners, but I never had a mentor, and I had to save up all of my own money to buy avy gear and take avy courses. I worked at REI—it was my first job in the outdoor industry—when I was 18, and I got a discount on my first avy beacon. I then took Avy I, and a few years later took Avy II, and took my Avy III this year. But I was always very conservative about how I wanted to approach the backcountry.

When I was 18 or 19, I looked at the Chuting Gallery, and was like, “I want to ski all these lines in the Wasatch.” I was on a lift around this time with another pro skier when I mentioned this, and he just laughed at me and said, “Well, that would take a lifetime.” And because of that, I decided not to talk about this goal for a while. I didn’t want to hear what other people thought about what I wanted to do.
    she really got all of this silver spooned to her, huh?

A few days before all this broke I noticed Caroline's personal Facebook had the first letters of her first and last name reversed Garoline cliech. I wondered why? Maybe the keep her pro page separate? Well it was obviously because of this tool.
    Then a week later, a couple days after she completed the chuting gallery (Note she did the ribbon in the top part of devil's castle. For those that don't know this is a pretty nutty line), I saw her over at the supreme lift at Alta. Now I've met her a few times, FB friends, etc., So I shout out "hey Caroline, great job on the chuting gallery". She responded in a fashion I don't ever recall seemed very cold, reserved. Come to find out via other chats with her that it was all due to this stalker shit. She was being guarded. That sucks...She's so friendly and for her to not be herself because of harassment was just gross. Hope she pushes this as far as she can to prove a point. Internet comments are one thing, but to call her personal #? Wtf #freak

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I got hit there by a baseball last week and that shit really hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Why did you have a giant erect penis at a baseball game?
    Sometimes you gotta bunt?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Sometimes you gotta bunt?
    A real man would swing at it.

Making contact is the easy part.
    It's the running to the base afterward that separates the men from the boys.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

^^^That's a great interview with her about the chuting gallery. I like her perspective on learning about the mountains and progression. She seems far more realistic and reasonable than most dudes out there in pursuit of "the dream". Fuck, I think she'd make a great ski partner.

It sucks that the butthurt of the world have to make a sport of shitting on people who have the balls (ovaries?) and the tenacity to make their dreams happen. I think she's sick, and last I checked we need more cool smart chicks in the liftline. (They're always hot by default anyways.) Hope she gets a bunch more followers cause of this.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    A few days before all this broke I noticed Caroline's personal Facebook had the first letters of her first and last name reversed Garoline cliech. I wondered why? Maybe the keep her pro page separate? Well it was obviously because of this tool.
    Then a week later, a couple days after she completed the chuting gallery (Note she did the ribbon in the top part of devil's castle. For those that don't know this is a pretty nutty line), I saw her over at the supreme lift at Alta. Now I've met her a few times, FB friends, etc., So I shout out "hey Caroline, great job on the chuting gallery". She responded in a fashion I don't ever recall seemed very cold, reserved. Come to find out via other chats with her that it was all due to this stalker shit. She was being guarded. That sucks...She's so friendly and for her to not be herself because of harassment was just gross. Hope she pushes this as far as she can to prove a point. Internet comments are one thing, but to call her personal #? Wtf #freak
    "When once a man has made celebrity necessary to his happiness, he has put it in the power of the weakest and most timorous malignity, if not to take away his satisfaction, at least to withhold it. His enemies may indulge their pride by airy negligen." - Samuel Johnson.

Props to Caroline for standing up to this bullshit!! Seriously, bringing up the death of a close friend...how sad and pathetic is this person's existence? Seems like a lot of this is jealously and misogyny and inadequacy issues. If you look at what Caroline's doing, she constantly puts in the work and is doing badass stuff these days (chuting gallery) and doing alot to get out the word on Climate Change and Avy Education and engage on social media in ways that's more than just self-promotion, but educates a little and promotes the sport rather than just herself. Many "pro" skiers can't really say this.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I went out to eat sometime ago on a friday night, a family sat at table nearby, father mother and 2 or 3 daughters, I pictured the family up in the mtns for a weekend from some suburban denver town (littleton?). Dad was so disengaged at the table it was frightening, said nothing to his family, you could see that he worked hard, some middle management tech job maybe, the whole time they sat at the table he was buried in his phone. His daughters and wife talked with themselves while he ordered shitty beer and whiskey on the rocks pounding both drinks at the same time. It was sad to watch.

We have created a society of men like himself, detached, unwilling to help themselves, they disengage from real life and obsess about a made up life where they can be the superhero they are not in real life. It's pretty easy, I'm sure his facebook page looked like a stellar weekend in the mountains and mentioned how much fun he was having. Yet he never put his phone down once, never fully engaged his family or his surroundings.

It's so easy to be everything you are not online. People act and say things online that they would never do in real life. So people become obsessed with some girl who loves what she does and then they shit all over her, because what she accomplishes is all their broken dreams that they cannot fathom doing from behind a computer screen, alone in their house they lash out until on becomes so obsessed that they push the limits.
    Pretty good summary of what out society is becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    No its not.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Seen plenty of harassing of women here over the years.
    I had to wonder if it wasn't one of our misguided mags still seeking an outlet for their mommy issues.
    I wish TGR would have taken a tougher stance on that shit.

we used to have a solid percentage of women here. They were driven away by a few really creepy fuckers.

It's interesting to see how this site and the internet "In general" has devolved

Lets electronically track these shit stains down and deal with them "In Real Life"
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Hell yeah her good looks have a lot to do with her getting spansered. Hell yeah her athletic ability has a lot to do with here getting spansered at skiing. Hell yeah her personality has a lot to do with her getting spansered.

I never understand why people view being good looking like its an impediment in the sports world. If the athlete is halfway intelligent he/she will leverage their looks into more funding for stuff they want to do and power when it comes to negotiating contracts and trips.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Yeah, and not just men. Woman and children are also buried in there phones all day long, everywhere. The car, the market, the sidewalk, the trails. Even while skiing

It's pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Hell yeah her good looks have a lot to do with her getting spansered. Hell yeah her athletic ability has a lot to do with here getting spansered at skiing. Hell yeah her personality has a lot to do with her getting spansered.

I never understand why people view being good looking like its an impediment in the sports world. If the athlete is halfway intelligent he/she will leverage their looks into more funding for stuff they want to do and power when it comes to negotiating contracts and trips.
    Because people generally only talk about women being good looking getting them spansered. No one is saying John Collinson is sponsored because he's good looking (no offence to John just the first dude who came to mind + he is fucking ripped). That's why people get uncomfortable with the notion, granted I can't refute that looks never take a part in spanserships.

Quote Originally Posted by sickturd View Post
    Good article.

Maybe I should spend more time on backcountry magazine?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Because people generally only talk about women being good looking getting them spansered. No one is saying John Collinson is sponsored because he's good looking (no offence to John just the first dude who came to mind + he is fucking ripped). That's why people get uncomfortable with the notion, granted I can't refute that looks never take a part in spanserships.
    2 things.

1) Plenty of dudes get contracts based upon looks and image... Companies love not having to hire models for a spring/summer lookbook. Not to mention, good looking people are generally better at sales because people are unconsciously drawn to good looking people. they just don't get overt credit for their good looks because...

2) pretty much without exception, male athletics are at a much higher level than female. the gnarliness and impressiveness of the athleticism in pro womens sports is crazy when compared to a normal dude, but typically pales when compared to a male professional in the same sport (Angel Collison seems to be getting into some pretty rarified air though). Therefore, traits outside of just plain athletic talent are more coveted for females whether that is personality or looks or outside interests (Sarah Burke seemed to embody the whole damn package being tops in every category). these other traits are used to draw attention, because the actual feats accomplished are generally not that impressive to the person who has been desensitized by seeing LeBron james dunking, Ian Mac skiing mach chicken and stomping 70+ footers, or DJ hitting 400 yd drives. The WOW factor is what sells extreme sports, and women very rarely produce WOW moments that compare to the moments captured by their male compatriots.