Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Must not be much of a trust fund.

-When you’re not skiing, and you’re trying to make ends meet, Hustle. Pick up odd jobs. Organize and run yard sales for your friends and families to make some extra skrilla. You’d be amazed at how much you can make for piles of stuff people want to get rid of. Get a food sponsor. You gotta eat.
    https://carolinegleich.com/how-to-be...nd-your-dream/

This thread is all time!

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What if McLean used guides when he did the project....gasp
    No guide who values his life wouldn't touch McLean with a 10 foot pole. Everyone who comes in contact with that guy ends up dead.
    Surprised Caroline is still alive.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    No guide who values his life wouldn't touch McLean with a 10 foot pole. Everyone who comes in contact with that guy ends up dead.
    Surprised Caroline is still alive.
    I realize that you’re no more than a full-on idiot and a useless troll, but maybe you should probably let people like Noah Howell and the IceAxe expeditions folks know what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Couch surf and ski a lot, then boom. All the money in the world. Tell that to the TGR athletes I’ve seen tending bar.

It’s great and all but what happens after the fun, when you’re 45, no nest egg and no sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I realize that you’re no more than a full-on idiot and a useless troll, but maybe you should probably let people like Noah Howell and the IceAxe expeditions folks know what you know.
    All they gotta do is just ask him.
    He told me about all the people who died in his presence.
    Seemed to me he was kinda bragging about it.
    You should hang out with him as much as you can.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Mike Basich spent his money on an old lift, 40 acres, and an off grid stone hut. I think he did alright.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I would guess as long as she stays relevant. She's into the whole environment deal, going to DC to lobby, etc. That's Patagonias mission statement basically. She will have a good run I bet.
    Agreed, as long she doesn't fuck up somehow or get involved in some scandal. She seems more calculated than that, but I guess you never know what can happen. Steph Davis lost her Patagonia sponsorship just because she was connected to Dean. Between the two of them they went from 100k a year to zero overnight, and the resulting financial stress contributed to the demise of their marriage. Anyway, OT.

I will say I don't think CG is doing her sponsorship prospects any favors with this latest kerfuffle. I keep waiting for the avy 3 instructor who failed her to go public with an explanation. Depending on the credibility of the instructor, that could be pretty damning. But maybe their policy is to just stay silent about these disputes.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Steph Davis lost her Patagonia sponsorship just because she was connected to Dean. Between the two of them they went from 100k a year to zero overnight, and the resulting financial stress contributed to the demise of their marriage. Anyway, OT.
    That's an interesting story. It sounds like they were doomed from the beginning though. Maybe the birdhunter is going to suggest next that Meadowskipper start base jumping with Steph Davis.

I tried to copy and paste Steph Davis's Wiki page in here but it's not working. You kooks no your way around the interwebs good enough on your own anyways.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    So maybe we should be judging people on what they actually do, instead of what they have? And FWIW, I'm going to represent with the people that had to work really hard to get what I have.
    Legit point. My post apparently was WAY too broad of a stroke but I've experienced enough from some people to have formed that opinion but you can't stereotype everyone obviously.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I have other people to feel sorry for, she needs to hulk up and learn to ignore stupid people.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Couch surf and ski a lot, then boom. All the money in the world. Tell that to the TGR athletes I’ve seen tending bar.

It’s great and all but what happens after the fun, when you’re 45, no nest egg and no sponsors.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...alarming-rate/

Ha! Now we are going there?

I can attest, it's not that much fun to be a 40 something year old ski bum that doesn't have anything else going on or something that you're working towards. Maybe there are some people that are happy to be that guy for ever but it sure ain't me.

Skiing is awesome but it's not everything. Life is filled with varied and unique experiences, I'd hate to spend my whole life doing the same or same couple of things all of the time.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

delete
    Last edited by core2; 06-11-2018 at 04:00 PM.

very strange to me that slc (where < 20% of people do any snowsports) is included alongside places like telluride. interesting read though

delete
    Last edited by core2; 06-11-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I tried to copy and paste Steph Davis's Wiki page in here but it's not working. You kooks no your way around the interwebs good enough on your own anyways.
    She writes about it in her books High Infatuation and Learning to Fly. Both great reads IMO. I always thought Patagonia handled that poorly. Isn't it sexist or something to axe the wife just because of the husband's misdeeds? I mean it's hard for me to imagine a better ambassador for a brand like Patagonia than Steph Davis. She's cool af.

On the other hand, none of these athletes are indispensable to these companies. CG attacking the credibility of mountain professionals who are supposedly just doing their jobs isn't really a look Patagonia wants to embrace. I bet there's some handwringing at headquarters over the whole thing. I'm guessing they view their continuing popularity among the outdoor instructors/guides of the world to be worth a lot more than the services of one Caroline Gleich. Plenty of other credible female skiers out there who could take her place.

Not saying she doesn't have a point--the instructor never should have let his personal feelings about her professional life and social media presence enter into the evaluation. He should have stuck to the specifics of her performance in the course. That said, as somebody who taught high school for a couple years, kids complaining about their grades rings a bit hollow to me. I occasionally raised a grade if a kid came and made a well reasoned argument, but if they came into the discussion trying to blame me for their grade, that was a nonstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    CG attacking the credibility of mountain professionals who are supposedly just doing their jobs isn't really a look Patagonia wants to embrace. I bet there's some handwringing at headquarters over the whole thing. I'm guessing they view their continuing popularity among the outdoor instructors/guides of the world to be worth a lot more than the services of one Caroline Gleich. Plenty of other credible female skiers out there who could take her place.
    Patagonia sells a lot more to suburban and urban women than they do to guides, and lots of those women pay retail and buy new gear every year or two rather than buying pro form and wearing it for 10+ years. I bet a lot of those women can identify with CG's comments about being dismissed and patronized in a male dominated field.

And those who say "she should shut up and ski" are missing the point - at least with respect to sponsors (especially Patagonia). Sponsors want press and exposure, they don't get anything out of someone who just quietly does stuff. And Patagonia is basically the archetype of an activist company that pushes for social and environmental causes - why wouldn't they want their athlete representatives doing the same? (As long as the causes are aligned, but I think they are here.)

McLean is a subversive agent employed by a shadowy Intermountain West ski industry crime group! He has defrauded the skiers of the world, making them believe there are actually steep snow slopes in the Wasatch! WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

The real tragedy is that CG definitely has received some creepy/weird texts that would be hilarious if made public but I'm sure her sponsors would not be happy if she were to humiliate potential customers.

It could always be more annoying:
    https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...ng-popularity/

".. it’s also about challenging the values of the dominant outdoors culture. For instance, it’s common for outdoorspeople to share stories of “conquering” a mountain or “crushing” a boulder problem — language that makes Bruso uncomfortable. “We’re talking about the land like it’s our playground, but people were displaced for it,” she said...."
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

^ lol

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    The real tragedy is that CG definitely has received some creepy/weird texts that would be hilarious if made public but I'm sure her sponsors would not be happy if she were to humiliate potential customers.
    She should make them public. Just out the fuckers on social media, like Sasha D did to Joe Kinder. That guy got exactly what he deserved. I mean who posts or sends shit like that? It's pretty twisted. Not to mention stupid in this day and age to think you can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Off topic but please tell me more about these 3k vert runs in the 'satch, I have yet to find one that's not interrupted by 3 flat benches...
    Basically every south facing ski line in lcc from superior to lisa falls + y couloir.

Sent from my LG-H871 using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    in case any you wanna be pros missed it
    the important
    sniff other pros farts and give them props for there fragrance lessons in the comments
    i do give him credit for the book
    and the us against them
    mentality of the satch
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno