Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Bump...some jems in here.
    Obsess much?

Can we have a Caroline Sub-forum please????
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Are women not allowed to write in the first person anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    She's welcome to write in the first person, I just find it odd that an op-ed that's ostensibly about empowering women is really just a manifesto of personal awesomeness.
    You know that was a post on her personal blog that Outside re-published, right?

I’m just glad we have 2 threads dedicated to this important subject.

TODAY'S HOT-TAKE: Maybe it's the fact that I didn't read the whole article, but something seems to be eluding Ms. Gleich. Regardless of gender, people of relative success will always have a target on their back. In every society, every gender, on every continent. Managing the nonsensical jealousy and fear etc. is part of being an adult. The petty games she's continually faced with are part of being human, and interacting with an intherently competitive and sometimes evil species.
    Just posted something similar in the other thread, but this is true to a point, all public figures do "have a target on their back." But you seem to be saying that the target exists regardless of gender, and that people shoot at the targets (so to speak) at the same rate, with the same vehemence and inappropriateness, regardless of gender. And that is just absurdly wrong. If I misunderstand that to be part of what you're saying, please clarify.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I’m just glad we have 2 threads dedicated to this important subject.
    TGR: gun violence, used car braggadocio, caroline gleich

The posts above are directed towards her recent experience (guides in SL valley questioning her chops), not the sicko stuff. The former is standard. The latter absolutely happens to dude celebrities, maybe in a less offensive manner? Serious threats of physical violence, unprovoked assasination, white crime predation, everyone's your friend with a $mall problem, etc. In the mix of things celebrities face, I think this recent tale is a joke. A dullard's plight to craft a narrative from choss.

This compulsion to identify with metoo by sloppily framing the vagaries of life in terms of gender seems problematic to me for a few reasons... 1-accuracy and 2-cultural reinforcment of idiocy. Does Caroline face more celebrity externalities than prominent athletes in other games? I'm not a sociocologist, but it seems to me that public roles are intensely challenging. And that the nature of the challenge is less important than the approach one takes in addressing them.
    Hey--you can joke about grabbing women by the pussy and get elected president, so I guess anything goes these days.

There was a study last year that revealed that an article written by a woman will receive nearly 5 times as many critical / disparaging comments as the exact same article published under a man's name. Same deal for social media posts. I suspect that ratio is similar in other walks of life, i.e. celebrity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hey--you can joke about grabbing women by the pussy and get elected president, so I guess anything goes these days.
    You left out a couple words.

"They will let you" You seem to have a very thick filter on your rose colored glasses.

And no idea what this would have to do with Caroline Gleich
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    You left out a couple words.

"They will let you" You seem to have a very thick filter on your rose colored glasses.

Given the power differential between someone like Trump and a random low-level woman in an administrative position, "let" isn't the same thing as "I don't have the power to counter this disgusting pervert."

But go ahead and keep viewing things through your privilege if it makes you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There was a study last year that revealed that an article written by a woman will receive nearly 5 times as many critical / disparaging comments as the exact same article published under a man's name. Same deal for social media posts. I suspect that ratio is similar in other walks of life, i.e. celebrity, etc.
    I am sure that is the case, though people here want to ignore that under the rubric of "all celebrities get shit". There was also this: https://medium.com/@nickyknacks/work...e-59a5de3ad266 which merely confirms the same thing. And this article, referencing that post, has this gem of a quote that seems to apply here:
    The overwhelming majority of responses have been positive and supportive, she says, but still some men have tried to find “non-sexist” reasons for the outcome of the experiment or doubting the veracity of the story.

“One thing I really would want to emphasize,” she says, is “that a lot of guys just don’t want to believe this is true and will make excuses and find justifications and reasons why this doesn’t exist,” she adds.
    Anecdotally, there are always exceptions to everything, but while I have no opinion on her as an athlete or celebrity or activist, her writings comport with what we know or should know to exist.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Precisely how does that change my critique of the content? She's obsessed with CG, which is odd considering she is CG.

Nothing dignified about whining on the interwebs about meanie rumors spoken by nameless nobodies. It's far-too-typical vacuous bullshit.
    You must not know many committed athletes, this is par for the course. Highly motivated and competitive and want to be know and recognized for their accomplishments. It's a common personality trait for people this committed.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

TODAY'S HOT-TAKE: Maybe it's the fact that I didn't read the whole article, but something seems to be eluding Ms. Gleich. Regardless of gender, people of relative success will always have a target on their back. In every society, every gender, on every continent. Managing the nonsensical jealousy and fear etc. is part of being an adult. The petty games she's continually faced with are part of being human, and interacting with an intherently competitive and sometimes evil species.
    Yes. Most of these wealthy 20 something year old jet setter kids seem to me like they could use a healthy dose of reality soup. Everybody is so sensitive these days it's like we are all walking on eggshells just to be human.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I don't. In my professional experience, stewing over perceived injustices is a great way to lose focus, not accelerate ones career.
    It does seem to be getting her a lot of media attention. Pulling the victim card over and over again will probably only go so far though.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

And that right there is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    It does seem to be getting her a lot of media attention. Pulling the victim card over and over again will probably only go so far though.
    To her credit, I would have no fucking clue who she was if it wasn't for this whole debacle.

It's been an excellent career move. She should really be thanking the trolls.

(That's sarcasm, for those of you who think most of the people in here are hyper-masculine cyber rapists.)

I don't. In my professional experience, stewing over perceived injustices is a great way to lose focus, not accelerate ones career.
    I don’t know, it seems to work for a lot of athletes. MJ used to look for slights to help motivate him. And in that vein, CG posted something earlier today about a lack of female skier emojis.

Female skier emojis?

These don't look female or male.

Also, what constitutes a female skier emoji?

Pink clothes?

Big boobs?

Long hair?

Isn't that just as sexist and assuming?

Or maybe CG is pulling the victim card, sullying the movement for people who actually experience sexism and/or harassment #meetoo, and is absolutely full of shit in order to make up for a personality quirk?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

Female skier emojis?

These don't look female or male.

Also, what constitutes a female skier emoji?

Pink clothes?

Big boobs?

Long hair?

Isn't that just as sexist and assuming?

Or maybe CG is pulling the victim card, sullying the movement for people who actually experience sexism and/or harassment #meetoo, and is absolutely full of shit in order to make up for a personality quirk?
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 06-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.

While we're at it, can we please get a trans skier emoji?

Oh, also, we will need a skier emoji for each of the specific:

L
    G
    B
    Q
    A
    2S
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

When I was younger people would ask me how (insert name here) got ahead in the ski industry while they couldn’t. There are a lot of very good skiers. The people who know people, are beautiful, have a gimmick to stand out, etc., have an advantage. The same prick that was upset that xxxxx was getting ahead is now mad at her for the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    When I was younger people would ask me how (insert name here) got ahead in the ski industry while they couldn’t. There are a lot of very good skiers. The people who know people, are beautiful, have a gimmick to stand out, etc., have an advantage. The same prick that was upset that xxxxx was getting ahead is now mad at her for the same.
    Having a mohawk helps.

A trust fund, some natural talent or talent gained since there isn't anything else to be worried about and nothing better to do helps more than a hair style. This shit sure isn't for poor people or regular hard working ski bums. Does the latter still exist?

I'm really tired of hearing about these so called problems from rich kid instagram pros. You want problems? Try figuring out how to pay for the semester of school on your own while being a father and still trying to maintain being a skier, yeah cry me a fucking river. Jesus, these kids might be able to ski some shit but gawd they are pussies.

So her feelings were hurt by an insecure douche bag during a avi course? Wahhh. Shut up.

I was in support of her efforts before but now, nah. Go jetsetting and spare me the victim cries. I've got some real problems to deal with......
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 06-08-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    A trust fund...
    [/THREAD]