Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post

If it's a POW campaign, they as a company (non-profit?) need to pull their heads out of their ass and realize that they aren't going to recruit many people to their cause (that aren't already "with" them) by showing pro athletes leading hedonistic lifestyles meanwhile telling people what to do. It comes across as fundamentally disingenuous and the people are going to pick up on that.
    The problem is, from my perspective, is that you are completely missing POW's message, goals, and what they want people to do, and that's on you.

Ok, but as someone who also actively lobbies for policy changes to curb carbon emissions, both of those posts cause me to react negatively to the message.

Sorry if I came across as too harsh or whatever as I do really support POW's message and goals, but it just seems like there are ways to present the same message without causing people to react so viscerally. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Don't care much about Caroline Gleich, although if she is honest she got where she is because she is a pretty woman,
    1) IMO she is not good looking enough for that to matter much in advancing her career. Never really got that dig(?) at her.

2) She skis better than +99% of this forum, and has worked her ass off while having the balls to try and make her dream work. Her ability to sell herself, her sponsors product, envision-sell-plan-execute successful highly complex and dangerous trips and media projects while sacrificing quite a lot in the process is why she is where she is. I bet your the guy who goes to an interview, bombs, and the claims that the other guy got the job because his suit was nicer. dumbass.

100 companies are the source of over 70% of our greenhouse gas emissions since 1998. She's making the point that lobbying governments and corporations is probably going to have a larger net effect than scolding your friend for using a plastic straw. I have a hard time seeing why this is such a controversial idea.

Caroline Gleich Harrassment Story

I'd love to see some more pro skiers talk about the renewed pebble mine proposal and encourage followers to write their representatives about that. per CG's post, I'm probably better off sending lots of DMs to pros who film in Alaska and encouraging them to make advocacy posts about the threat of the pebble mine rather than bitching about the shallowness of most social media activism.

she's a great skier. she's a great brand promoter and it's impressive how she sets her personal goals and achieves them. nevertheless, I'm skeptical that americans or humanity in general are really willing to make the sacrifices required to put a dent in climate change, and they'd be upset if the government forced drastic change on them. if you drive 400 miles or more every weekend to ski, no need to feel guilty about the fact that roughly 1/3 of emissions come directly from planes, cars, trucks, etc, not to mention all the industrial activity related to transportation. if you fly to japan, good for you. that's life, and we clearly aren't going to stop. if climate change activism contributes to your personal brand and bottom line, good for you. I certainly don't care enough to hate her, brody leven, or whoever else, but I'll generally tune out the message.

is Mike D's 200,000 pro skiers to 1 coal power plant a real stat? a useful stat?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I look at it as she’s going to do the climbing anyway, why not use the attention it gets her to promote something that’s important to her?

If she didn’t climb or if she climbed but didn’t promote her cause, I don’t see where that would help her cause at all. She’s drawing people's attention to what she sees as a worthy cause, except for crusty farts looking for reasons to bitch on the internet. Some people seem to think that if you don’t kill yourself anonymously to keep from using the earth’s resources then you can’t call yourself an environmentalist.
    Recent thread on a Facebook among my dirtbag tele friends a rightwingnut guy is claiming we can't legitimately advocate for action on climate change if we are using our cell phones because of their emissions proving our hypocrisy and lack of standing to say fuck all. There is no end to people trying to shut down any mention of climate change for any and all reasons. This line of attack is just more the same. CG talking about AGW is like a fly to shit for those with denialist and misogynist tendancies.

We live in a society built on petro. You can't step foot on a concrete sidewalk without have a carbon footprint. So let's all just shut up about anything that matters. Especially the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    1) IMO she is not good looking enough for that to matter much in advancing her career. Never really got that dig(?) at her.

2) She skis better than +99% of this forum, and has worked her ass off while having the balls to try and make her dream work. Her ability to sell herself, her sponsors product, envision-sell-plan-execute successful highly complex and dangerous trips and media projects while sacrificing quite a lot in the process is why she is where she is. I bet your the guy who goes to an interview, bombs, and the claims that the other guy got the job because his suit was nicer. dumbass.
    I guess we see her differently, but I think a big part of her marketing is her look

Agree on pretty much everything in the second point except you missed wide right with the dart at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    she's a great skier. she's a great brand promoter and it's impressive how she sets her personal goals and achieves them. nevertheless, I'm skeptical that americans or humanity in general are really willing to make the sacrifices required to put a dent in climate change, and they'd be upset if the government forced drastic change on them. if you drive 400 miles or more every weekend to ski, no need to feel guilty about the fact that roughly 1/3 of emissions come directly from planes, cars, trucks, etc, not to mention all the industrial activity related to transportation. if you fly to japan, good for you. that's life, and we clearly aren't going to stop. if climate change activism contributes to your personal brand and bottom line, good for you. I certainly don't care enough to hate her, brody leven, or whoever else, but I'll generally tune out the message.
    I'd like to drive or ride to my ski areas with less carbon intensive methods but half of the dipshits in this country are advocating against any measure that changes the status quo that would make that possible. Fighting the good fight for the old money that doesn't need their help but stlll they feel obligated because libs are the enemy. I have to shut up now since I walk outside every morning and step onto the carbon intensive concrete on my front step.

lots of people (all of us ?) are driving cars, flying in airplanes, using stuff brought by ship from china, using skis and bikes made of plastic and walking on shoes with plastic soles which is not going to change

but i wonder what that has to do with hating CG, what good it will do and I was never really sure why we hated her

When is it time for this thread to die ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If what I said was taken as CG hate, it was not meant that way. Like I said I don't really care about her.

I saw the Mike Douglas post on FB page before this thread and commented there. Read this thread and commented here.

Way I see it, since we are posting on a ski forum we are all living near the pinnacle of civilization. Just gets under my skin,, and that's my thing, when these brand ambassadors promote save the planet aBesnd their products do too, but what they are really promoting (don't you want to do all the great adventures we do while using all the products we do) is moving in another direction. Little more ownership on their part. Besides it's summer eh

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    100 companies are the source of over 70% of our greenhouse gas emissions since 1998. She's making the point that lobbying governments and corporations is probably going to have a larger net effect than scolding your friend for using a plastic straw. I have a hard time seeing why this is such a controversial idea.
    Pretty much this.

Nobody is a perfect environmentalist, so shaming people for their specific choices which don't match your specific choices is both counter-productive and super fucking douchey.

The only way we are going to solve it is to get massive collective action from our governments and others. Every skier could stop driving to the hill, or flying to ski, and it wouldn't make a dent.

well the 29 pages of CG hate what ... is she killing kittens ?

If you can read this you probably live > almost all the rest of the planet and everything in western society is connected to everything else, so if Greg Hill or CG promote greener living thats not a bad thing,

I am thinking that you and I must define Hate very differently.

Is it Hate to disagree with someones delivery of a message?

Anyone who can haul their ass to 29K' is a badass, I don't care how much support they receive unless they were fucking carried.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I'm with you. You wanna be a climate activist, lead by example. Maybe don't take that money from goRVing.com because your message gets drown out when your actions don't match your words.
    I wish i would not have checked out that go rving site. Now i have to hate brody levens,some treadway and a bunch of people i never heard of. That is some sorry shit right there.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I wish i would not have checked out that go rving site. Now i have to hate brody levens,some treadway and a bunch of people i never heard of. That is some sorry shit right there.
    Seriously: how do you consider yourself an environmental activist at all while getting paid by goRVing.com?

They could use their platform to inspire us Joe's to reduce our own footprints. Carpool to the hill, ski tour instead of heli/snowmobile, explore deeper into the local regions instead of flying around the world. Make it cool to rip around the local ski hill rather than constantly chasing the pow.

Coal miners and oil drillers jobs will lose jobs unless they can get work putting up wind turbines, solar panels, and transmission lines. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that pros will have to look at their income sources and change accordingly.

I like her, and IMO what she’s doing works, as here we are talking about her, (and her message).
    My family does some almost silly stuff to reduce waste and especially reduce water usage, (when warming the water before a shower, we catch that water in a bucket to put in the compost, for example), yet 80% of the US water goes to agriculture. Essentially we have no effect.
    I agree with her, in that our efforts would be better spent going after the major users/abusers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This is a stupid argument on the "sponsored" enviros end. These huge companies only emit what they do because a shit load of us buy and use their products. The companies aren't the issue, consumption overall is.

Regardless of their argument to try and shift blame, these adventure athletes have fucking gigantic carbon footprints and are solely able to do what they do because they are promoting the consumption of products that further harm the environment. Whether that is goRVing.com or Patagucci is irrelevant. Their entire existence is based upon promoting more consumption. It is massively hypocritical of them, and pretty much everyone sees through it, no one believes you went and hiked Everest for any other reason than you thought it would be (and no doubt is) awesome.

This isn't exclusive to CG, but does seem somewhat exclusive to the outdoor industry. Notably skiers/snowboarders who are "refusing" to get heli drops but will still take a plane to some far remote pristine landscape. At least climbers are broke as fuck mostly and can't consume much.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    They could use their platform to inspire us Joe's to reduce our own footprints. Carpool to the hill, ski tour instead of heli/snowmobile, explore deeper into the local regions instead of flying around the world. Make it cool to rip around the local ski hill rather than constantly chasing the pow.
    But if they practiced what they preached they wouldn't be pro skiers anymore. They'd just be ski bums. The only reason they're sponsored is because the companies supporting them are betting that by doing more product will be sold.

I can't blame the Pros for taking the money. By doing so they're able to fund their chosen way of life. Take the money and run.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    This is a stupid argument on the "sponsored" enviros end. These huge companies only emit what they do because a shit load of us buy and use their products. The companies aren't the issue, consumption overall is.

Regardless of their argument to try and shift blame, these adventure athletes have fucking gigantic carbon footprints and are solely able to do what they do because they are promoting the consumption of products that further harm the environment. Whether that is goRVing.com or Patagucci is irrelevant. Their entire existence is based upon promoting more consumption. It is massively hypocritical of them, and pretty much everyone sees through it, no one believes you went and hiked Everest for any other reason than you thought it would be (and no doubt is) awesome.

This isn't exclusive to CG, but does seem somewhat exclusive to the outdoor industry. Notably skiers/snowboarders who are "refusing" to get heli drops but will still take a plane to some far remote pristine landscape. At least climbers are broke as fuck mostly and can't consume much.
    QFT

Caroline Gleich Harrassment Story

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

QFT x2

And I’ve heard certain people (for one, Sierra Quitiquit) saying their influence outweighs their carbon footprint, when criticized for traveling nonstop. They say if they continue to reach people and spread a social movement to the masses, change consumer habits and leverage the movement to work with corporations to change their products it will be much more impactful than the carbon footprint they have.

However, IMO, their influence is a lot smaller than they think. Most of these people are followed by fellow outdoorspeople who think the same/similar way. They’re not influencing or changing the minds of millions of consumers out there that aren’t in our bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post

However, IMO, their influence is a lot smaller than they think. Most of these people are followed by fellow outdoorspeople who think the same/similar way. They’re not influencing or changing the minds of millions of consumers out there that aren’t in our bubble.
    Thank you. This is what I was getting at with my critique of POW earlier. Ok, great you got someone to go email their representative or vote (and seriously, great, not being facetious). But if we are trying to enact change at a broader scale (i.e. outside the winter sports / outdoor industry), I think the manner in which these messages are delivered -- and I am NOT disagreeing with the message itself -- is counterproductive to changing the minds of those who are skeptical or opposed to change. If the purpose of these posts is getting a pat on the back from those who are already on board, then by all means just carry on and I'll go back to my bitter little corner of the internet.

https://www.outsideonline.com/239956...-ascent-denali

Talk about the low/no footprint, SLC to Denali entirely human powered cuz they " wanted to earn it "

I had a few beers with these guys when they rolled thru and another buddy fed/put them up,

Cody told me he got time off from DPS but that was about it for spancership

we did tell them there would be no food up there so they stocked up but still ran out so it sounds like the highway thru narthern BC was the crux move

Cody tells me he still has the lotus 120 molds but he was unaware what a cult classic the ski is ... I told him to build it and skiers will buy it

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.outsideonline.com/239956...-ascent-denali

Talk about the low/no footprint, SLC to Denali entirely human powered cuz they " wanted to earn it "

I had a few beers with these guys when they rolled thru and another buddy fed/put them up,

Cody told me he got time off from DPS but that was about it for spancership

we did tell them there would be no food up there so they stocked up but still ran out so it sounds like the highway thru narthern BC was the crux move

Cody tells me he still has the lotus 120 molds but he was unaware what a cult classic the ski is ... I told him to build it and skiers will buy it
    That article has some reaaaaal tiny print at the end that implies they just took a plane home, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of the endeavor.

I mean, it is still a sweet trip, but the whole writeup in Outside, taking a plane back, bringing literally the better part of 10k minimum of gear that was made around the world. All of that has a cost, and an impact, and it just seems like fake altruism. Just make the trip because its cool and say so, people will still think it is rad without the fake environmentalism.
    Live Free or Die