Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Hell yeah her good looks have a lot to do with her getting spansered. Hell yeah her athletic ability has a lot to do with here getting spansered at skiing. Hell yeah her personality has a lot to do with her getting spansered.

I never understand why people view being good looking like its an impediment in the sports world. If the athlete is halfway intelligent he/she will leverage their looks into more funding for stuff they want to do and power when it comes to negotiating contracts and trips.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Pretty good summary of what out society is becoming.
    Yeah, and not just men. Woman and children are also buried in there phones all day long, everywhere. The car, the market, the sidewalk, the trails. Even while skiing

It's pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Hell yeah her good looks have a lot to do with her getting spansered. Hell yeah her athletic ability has a lot to do with here getting spansered at skiing. Hell yeah her personality has a lot to do with her getting spansered.

I never understand why people view being good looking like its an impediment in the sports world. If the athlete is halfway intelligent he/she will leverage their looks into more funding for stuff they want to do and power when it comes to negotiating contracts and trips.
    Because people generally only talk about women being good looking getting them spansered. No one is saying John Collinson is sponsored because he's good looking (no offence to John just the first dude who came to mind + he is fucking ripped). That's why people get uncomfortable with the notion, granted I can't refute that looks never take a part in spanserships.

Quote Originally Posted by sickturd View Post
    Good article.

Maybe I should spend more time on backcountry magazine?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Because people generally only talk about women being good looking getting them spansered. No one is saying John Collinson is sponsored because he's good looking (no offence to John just the first dude who came to mind + he is fucking ripped). That's why people get uncomfortable with the notion, granted I can't refute that looks never take a part in spanserships.
    2 things.

1) Plenty of dudes get contracts based upon looks and image... Companies love not having to hire models for a spring/summer lookbook. Not to mention, good looking people are generally better at sales because people are unconsciously drawn to good looking people. they just don't get overt credit for their good looks because...

2) pretty much without exception, male athletics are at a much higher level than female. the gnarliness and impressiveness of the athleticism in pro womens sports is crazy when compared to a normal dude, but typically pales when compared to a male professional in the same sport (Angel Collison seems to be getting into some pretty rarified air though). Therefore, traits outside of just plain athletic talent are more coveted for females whether that is personality or looks or outside interests (Sarah Burke seemed to embody the whole damn package being tops in every category). these other traits are used to draw attention, because the actual feats accomplished are generally not that impressive to the person who has been desensitized by seeing LeBron james dunking, Ian Mac skiing mach chicken and stomping 70+ footers, or DJ hitting 400 yd drives. The WOW factor is what sells extreme sports, and women very rarely produce WOW moments that compare to the moments captured by their male compatriots.

What? You jerk off to Collinson's Instagram?

First impressions and looks can have a lot of impact on someones success, it's not everything but it has an effect. That shit is human and people need to fucking deal with it.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It's only gay if you actually kiss.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What you don't?

And I totally agree with everything californiagrowin said in response to me, I just think the discussion is typically more often about girls looks cause let's be honest most of the demographic of extreme sports is dude's and dude's like to talk about hot girls. (And occasionally we talk about John Collinson's looks too)

What you don't?

And I totally agree with everything californiagrowin said in response to me, I just think the discussion is typically more often about girls looks cause let's be honest most of the demographic of extreme sports is dude's and dude's like to talk about hot girls. (And occasionally we talk about John Collinson's looks too)
    Also, Jon Olson, the original male blonde bombshell.

What you don't?

More importantly, Do you see yourself kissing John Collinson while self pleasuring yourself?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

What you don't?

and, gleich was often the cute skier girl smiling in the sun in ski shoots before she transitioned to more substantial ski pursuits so the glove actually fits a little here

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    More importantly, Do you see yourself kissing John Collinson while self pleasuring yourself?
    FFS, I ain't got no crush on John... Angel... well maybe, she's super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I've stopped skiing with some partners because of their need to constantly stop for selfies or group shots. It's annoying.
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by sickturd View Post
    Hey look it's Jon Olsson!

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Good article.

Maybe I should spend more time on backcountry magazine?
    I hear they can hook you up with gear from awesome companies

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    I hear they can hook you up with gear from awesome companies
    Lol... maybe some sweet RMU's!!!

But seriously, they backed it up - unlike RMU - and BC is a great magazine.

Stalker Profile (guess):

- a 2006 U of U graduate
    - Filmed one day with Level 1 in LCC (but got the shot)
    - Made the credits in one film and the crash reel
    - got sixth place at a comp at Park City
    - tried to compete in the FWT one season, but couldn't afford all the stops
    - crashed out in the Snowbird comp
    - got turned down by Caroline's ugly friend at the bar back in '06 and has been pissed off ever since
    - currently works at an outdoor retailer back home in Michigan while living in his parent's basement
    - drives a 2001 Chevy Envoy

^ hahahaha dead the fuck on

Too bad that's like 25% of any Tram ride at Snowbird

Now that I have heard of her, should I pronounce the "ch" in Gleich like germans do?

Click play on all of these at once if you are bored http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ujf/blog/German_ch.html

ps, in general, girl pros could consider less trying to send-it and charge-hard blah blah blah like guys do. Let guys kill themselves for sponsors and ego and 'progressing the sport'. Girls are better than that.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    2 things.

1) Plenty of dudes get contracts based upon looks and image... Companies love not having to hire models for a spring/summer lookbook. Not to mention, good looking people are generally better at sales because people are unconsciously drawn to good looking people. they just don't get overt credit for their good looks because...

2) pretty much without exception, male athletics are at a much higher level than female. the gnarliness and impressiveness of the athleticism in pro womens sports is crazy when compared to a normal dude, but typically pales when compared to a male professional in the same sport (Angel Collison seems to be getting into some pretty rarified air though). Therefore, traits outside of just plain athletic talent are more coveted for females whether that is personality or looks or outside interests (Sarah Burke seemed to embody the whole damn package being tops in every category). these other traits are used to draw attention, because the actual feats accomplished are generally not that impressive to the person who has been desensitized by seeing LeBron james dunking, Ian Mac skiing mach chicken and stomping 70+ footers, or DJ hitting 400 yd drives. The WOW factor is what sells extreme sports, and women very rarely produce WOW moments that compare to the moments captured by their male compatriots.
    1: Yes, male athletes also sometimes profit from their looks. However, the "ski model" type thing is much more common for women. Caroline Gleich seems to have started off that way and progressed to something else. For men, looks are an added benefit, while for women they are very often front and center to their athletic career, at least if you define athletic careers in terms of sponsorship deals. Arguably, the idea of what is considered good looking is also far more diverse for men than for women in sports.

2: Yes, women by and large produce less extreme gnarliness of the kind you mention (big hucks, high speed, etc). If you were to measure badassery by different parameters, perhaps the result of the comparison would change. Either way, both the fact that female looks sell and that female athletic performance seemingly does not produce enough "WOW factor" are deeply tied to the fact that the extreme and action sports industry, and really the sports industry as a whole, are geared towards male participants, male viewers and male buyers of the stuff companies are trying to sell.

It is bullshit that world class female surfers who do not fit into the single available mold of how to look and how to be cannot get sponsorships. It is bullshit that the same thing happens in many other sports. To me, a woman, the WOW factor produced by female pro athletes in action sports is not about the size of their huck compared to the size of the huck of a male athlete. It is about the size of their huck/their story/their accomplishments, period. Angel Collinson is not pretty good for a woman. She is just pretty good. Female athletic accomplishments can stand on their own and to the women watching, it is completely irrelevant what the men are doing. Having female pro athletes is about representation and giving little girls role models, and showcasing their achievements. There is no good reason why female pro athletes should have to cater to male aesthetic tastes in order to get better sponsorship deals or for any other reason.

Re the original story: Drew Tabke wrote a great comment on the facebook post, which says it all.
    "When a woman in the public sphere stands up against troll/stalker/rape culture, it 100% guarantees continued harassment from the same pathetic ilk of mouth-breathing chauvinist keyboard jockeys that she is speaking out against in the first place. Kudos to Caroline Gleich for being a person smart enough to know the consequences of raising her voice, but principled and courageous enough to do it anyway."
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Stalker Profile (guess):

- a 2006 U of U graduate
    - Filmed one day with Level 1 in LCC (but got the shot)
    - Made the credits in one film and the crash reel
    - got sixth place at a comp at Park City
    - tried to compete in the FWT one season, but couldn't afford all the stops
    - crashed out in the Snowbird comp
    - got turned down by Caroline's ugly friend at the bar back in '06 and has been pissed off ever since
    - currently works at an outdoor retailer back home in Michigan while living in his parent's basement
    - drives a 2001 Chevy Envoy
    Just spit coffee at my computer
    Maybe he was trying to be TJ BURKE and never made it......from Michigan
    always forward but never straight