Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    I think they were been pretty fucked up by the end, I don't know if it was about environmentalism or just about earning it cuz they didnt sound all that enviro when I was drinking beer with them I would say their trip was about the challenge

Goran Kropp biked from Sweden soloed Everest with no support or oxygen and biked back to Sweden

another climber Eurden Eruc did seattle to Denali and home riding a bike in 2003

I got buddy who rode across Canada down the eastern USA, and on thru the Americas to Tierra Del Fuego, sometimes they took boat trips, I don't know if there is even a road thru the Darien gap but last month after 4 years and 55000 kms he rolled back into town and we drank some beer, funnily enough he said once he crossed the USA/Mex border and was down amongst them murderers/ thieves/ rapists and drug dealers he felt way safer than the SE USA
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Outside article has literally zero mention of an environmental motive for their mission to Denali. Neither does this: https://www.dpsskis.com/en/blog/from-utah-to-alaska/ But, hey don't let that stop you from finding shit to be outraged about AdironRider.

Outraged isn't the word. They aren't mutilating kittens or something here, I could conceivably care less but the level of caring is minimal here on a base level. They made a big to do about doing this via human power for a reason. Challenge maybe, but literally thousands of people have done individual harder feats, like biking further, or hiking further, or doing more bc so the writeup and publicity angle does seem to be packaged around this altruistic assumption that doing it by human power is somehow better.

Ultimately, it is just funny to read an entire article about doing something with no motors, then immediately jumping on a jet plane for the 2nd half of the trip. This is basically why a lot of us are calling out CG and other outdoor athletes as hypocrites, it is all just bullshit to sell stuff, like DPS skis, which is ultimately a net loss to the environment.
    Live Free or Die

so more hate to add to the other 29 pages written by people who didnt do anything

I bet in real life AdironRider asks to speak to a manager all the time

Last I checked my name wasn't Karen.

Come on man, you gotta admit it is kinda funny to read a whole article about doing something human powered (they specifically say not like everyone else by plane and car), only to read at the end they just took a plane home.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Last I checked my name wasn't Karen.

Come on man, you gotta admit it is kinda funny to read a whole article about doing something human powered (they specifically say not like everyone else by plane and car), only to read at the end they just took a plane home.
    even a leg less in a plane is worthwhile at a time when every newb with an epic pass is gonna get that jaPOW trip in.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

no

are you going to start a seperate hate cody & clay thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    no

I’m gonna start a hate them thread unless we get those damn lotus 120s.

buddy was totally unaware of the cult following the 120 has, in any case at least we know those molds still exist, perhaps a " bring back the lotus 120 " petition would be a more positive thing than all this hate aimed at people who actualy get out and get at it

agree very much with adiron's first comment RE: consumerism/corporations, although I don't see anything to nitpick with the human powered dudes, as I didn't read an environmental message in their human-powered denali journey. just struck me as a remarkable personal challenge and it's a cool story. after 85 days, I think anybody would fly home, so as long as they aren't pretending to feel guilty about it, oh well. sweet that XXX ran into them.

the big corporations are emitting to provide our lifestyles and we can't just conveniently say "oh we could stop climate change but these evil emitters keep screwing us over". people love making inconsequential adjustments to their personal lifestyle to feel better about themselves, and they love blaming external powers for the state of the climate, but no one wants to feel the pain of doing what it takes to actually stop or limit climate change. there's no cabal of evil men stopping you from finding a carbon-neutral way to live your modern life while throwing in some skiing too. it just doesn't exist. nothing wrong with general environmentalism or reducing impacts where we can, but the climate is fucked. meanwhile, there are countless other environmental issues where we CAN make an impact that do not have enough feelgood IG activism behind them.

not sure that every criticism of CG and many others like her should be dismissed as hate. this thread has her name on it and many people find her advocacy schtick disingenuous, comment on it, and then move on with their lives not thinking about her. Me, I'm about to go burn some gas on my way to fly fish after work.

...so the writeup and publicity angle does seem to be packaged around this altruistic assumption that doing it by human power is somehow better.

Ultimately, it is just funny to read an entire article about doing something with no motors, then immediately jumping on a jet plane for the 2nd half of the trip. This is basically why a lot of us are calling out CG and other outdoor athletes as hypocrites, it is all just bullshit to sell stuff, like DPS skis, which is ultimately a net loss to the environment.
    Talk about making the perfect the enemy of the good. I'm reminded of the "But Did You Really Climb It" semi-rad post. You can always take ideological purity one step further. "Sure it was human powered but not the whole thing! And their clothes were made from oil! Should have been made by hand-woven grasses! Should have stayed home, that would have had a smaller carbon footprint! Should have killed themselves, then they wouldn't consume any resources at all."

It's exhausting.

#HYPEBEAST ,is killing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    T And their clothes were made from oil! Should have been made by hand-woven grasses!

It's exhausting.
    woven by druid virgins

woven by druid virgins

Name:  0157B800-1B32-4C26-8F68-E23F2B143931.gif
Views: 624
Size:  648.2 KB

Talk about making the perfect the enemy of the good. I'm reminded of the "But Did You Really Climb It" semi-rad post. You can always take ideological purity one step further. "Sure it was human powered but not the whole thing! And their clothes were made from oil! Should have been made by hand-woven grasses! Should have stayed home, that would have had a smaller carbon footprint! Should have killed themselves, then they wouldn't consume any resources at all."

It's exhausting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ... Some people seem to think that if you don’t kill yourself anonymously to keep from using the earth’s resources then you can’t call yourself an environmentalist.
    Right?

no

I just responded to you as I assume you brought them up as an example of what I was talking about with CG. I really think that trip sounds awesome in general as a trip itself .

It's exhausting.
    No they definitely climbed it. I just find it silly to do the whole "look at me thing" in general, but notably when the whole article is framed about doing something specifically without a plane, but then using a plane for half of it anyway. I think that is a notable difference, the article could have easily been framed differently and still conveyed the awesomeness of the trip.

Either way, not trying to pooh pah anyones good time, I thought this was an extension of pros saying they care about one thing then doing another to sell stuff. That is what the thread is about right?
    Live Free or Die

Either way, not trying to pooh pah anyones good time, I thought this was an extension of pros saying they care about one thing then doing another to sell stuff. That is what the thread is about right?
    No, I thought it is about people hating them for doing that.

https://www.dpsskis.com/en/blog/from-utah-to-alaska/ so we've established there was no environmental motive. Now let's go back and read again and establish that in no part of the mission does it say the goal was to bike home. It does say they were going to packraft to Talkeetna if all goes well, but if you read the Outside article it states one guy had a fucked up foot so they called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    https://www.dpsskis.com/en/blog/from-utah-to-alaska/ so we've established there was no environmental motive. Now let's go back and read again and establish that in no part of the mission does it say the goal was to bike home. It does say they were going to packraft to Talkeetna if all goes well, but if you read the Outside article it states one guy had a fucked up foot so they called it a day.
    You seem a little invested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    not sure that every criticism of CG and many others like her should be dismissed as hate. this thread has her name on it and many people find her advocacy schtick disingenuous, comment on it, and then move on with their lives not thinking about her. Me, I'm about to go burn some gas on my way to fly fish after work.
    Truth.
    Live Free or Die

Regardless of their argument to try and shift blame, these adventure athletes have fucking gigantic carbon footprints and are solely able to do what they do because they are promoting the consumption of products that further harm the environment. Whether that is goRVing.com or Patagucci is irrelevant. Their entire existence is based upon promoting more consumption. It is massively hypocritical of them, and pretty much everyone sees through it, no one believes you went and hiked Everest for any other reason than you thought it would be (and no doubt is) awesome.
    Well put...

What irks me, is the hypocrisy of using "environmentalism" to sell products. Just go back to Mike Douglas's IG post mentioned earlier. Of course he couldn't post that without tagging Salomon in the text. My challenge to people like him, is to use the same boots, skis, poles, jackets, pants, gloves, helmet, and goggles for three seasons, and promote this type of consumerism to their followers.

^^^ This, It is not CG or Douglas or skiing. It is the cadre of instagram "stars" promoting themselves and their Brands related to every sport/lifestyle.

If I sound jealous, I am not.

Just getting old, jaded and crotchety I suppose.

The pro's could take that ^^ free gear and give it to a homeless person, would that make it more righteous ?

I was driving home with a buddy and the big name movie maker, he is dicking with the phone and from the back seat i hear him tell my buddy " I ordered you the gortex & puffy inXXL and some 189's "

BUT I WASN'T JEALOUS

not my brand eh

Anyone that thinks Park City is awesome is a pretentious self important moron.

The irksome hypocrisy is not caring about climate change while being professional outdoor adventures. The hypocrisy that really gets to me is pretending they are doing all these adventures for some cause. Bullfuckingshit. I sincerely doubt CG would have passed up an Everest trip if the climate wasn’t threatened, or their was parity in men’s and women’s athletes. She climbed it for the same reason every other tourist climber does; it’s there. Be proud of the summit; it’s impressive, but leave the ‘cause’ bullshit behind. The insincerity of her actions is what is counterproductive to her positions or values and causes others to dismiss her concerns.

What, if any, measurable changes have professional skiers made to fight global warming?