Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Think about it this way:

She knows people are going to talk about whatever she's doing, it's part of her brand (or whatever).

+

She knows if she attaches a cause to what she's doing it will prompt discussion, regardless of whether or not it has any direct connection to what she's doing.

=

It may not necessarily be intended as a literal demonstration of equality, or a process intended to directly effect equality.
    BUT: now here we are, talking about equality....and what that means in this context and beyond; not to mention discussing her and her motives, and her friggin' influenza and blanket situation.

Spaying and Neutering your pets has fuckall to do with the Price is Right, but Bob Barker said that shit every single day for decades.

Mission accomplished.

I just think she's pretty, and seems little and vulnerable, and she's not fitting into peoples' expectations of little-pretty-vulnerable-girl so there's a lot of misplaced subconscious parental scolding vibes coming at her in a variety of forms.... Might be worth taking a pause to remind ourselves that she's a grown-ass woman, and that being open about her vulnerabilities doesn't mean she's weaker than anyone else, it only means she's more communicative about much of the same processes (failures, negative emotions, injuries) other people have faced in silence.

Thoughtful analysis as usual ^

My less thoughtful thoughts. The whole idea of climbing Everest is pointless. Even if you think the cause flag she is hauling up with her is pointless it seems to me it still matches the mission so I don't get what there is to be uptight about either way.

Admittedly posting from a Target parking lot somewhere in Iowa listening to bad Italian music on Spotify in a twisted educational mission to shape my girl into a shadow of the great Sofia Goggia so what do I know.

Carry on.

I think CG is an elite athlete who has earned every bit of her success and then some. No doubt she has dealt with some awful bullshit and roadblocks that male athletes and other female athletes have not encountered. Her resume is legit and I hope she's successful on Everest.

My problem is with the message - it seems half-baked. I dislike "awareness" campaigns in general because the effects and motives are nebulous at best and totally inauthentic and self-serving at worst. I went to the website, and looked at the "media package" for the campaign. It is laughably thin, basically 10 bullet points on possible instagram posts. If I was still in college, I'd be embarrassed to hand it in as a freshman level project.

If CG is actually committed to this cause and is just bad at creating an impactful, actionable campaign, so be it. Failing, but at least HONESTLY trying.

The less generous explanation is that #climbforequality is an afterthought, and a way to gain exposure/sponsorship/meaning for an objective that is impressive, but not groundbreaking.

Currently more convinced of the latter. It reeks of BS to me. Give me some actionable objectives and more than a few hashtags and maybe I can buy in. Otherwise I'll continue to assume that this is a flimsy attempt to legitimize a self-serving goal.

PS - I'll probably climb and ski something moderately tall this week. I'm dedicating my personal pursuit of fun/glory/challenge to building awareness about single use plastic. If you want to sponsor my climb, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I think CG is an elite athlete who has earned every bit of her success and then some. No doubt she has dealt with some awful bullshit and roadblocks that male athletes and other female athletes have not encountered. Her resume is legit and I hope she's successful on Everest.

My problem is with the message - it seems half-baked. I dislike "awareness" campaigns in general because the effects and motives are nebulous at best and totally inauthentic and self-serving at worst. I went to the website, and looked at the "media package" for the campaign. It is laughably thin, basically 10 bullet points on possible instagram posts. If I was still in college, I'd be embarrassed to hand it in as a freshman level project.

If CG is actually committed to this cause and is just bad at creating an impactful, actionable campaign, so be it. Failing, but at least HONESTLY trying.

The less generous explanation is that #climbforequality is an afterthought, and a way to gain exposure/sponsorship/meaning for an objective that is impressive, but not groundbreaking.

Currently more convinced of the latter. It reeks of BS to me. Give me some actionable objectives and more than a few hashtags and maybe I can buy in. Otherwise I'll continue to assume that this is a flimsy attempt to legitimize a self-serving goal.

PS - I'll probably climb and ski something moderately tall this week. I'm dedicating my personal pursuit of fun/glory/challenge to building awareness about single use plastic. If you want to sponsor my climb, PM me.
    I donate 100 disposable McDonald's straws that you can dump at the top to illustrate the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I am not giving up that easily. More Vasco Rossi and less BBC on tap next season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have you got the espresso machine and Vespa yet?
    Bergamo's Renaissance architecture is going to be difficult to recreate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJYS-UM_4aI

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I donate 100 disposable McDonald's straws that you can dump at the top to illustrate the problem.
    Used or new?

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo T. Clown View Post
    Have you got the espresso machine and Vespa yet?
    Bergamo's Renaissance architecture is going to be difficult to recreate.
    No Vespa but we can make espresso with an aeropress right here in Moose and she is going to Spain in October to learn how to eat snails.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^^
    Snail (caracoles) season is right now thru end of May. Spanish snails > escargot. Simmered in an Arabic style broth. Mmmmm

Caroline's attempt to make this about something it's not is laughable. It's only about her climbing and skiing. Good work if you can get it. Good luck to her and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Used or new?
    I don't know. Which ones are available in McDonald's?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    No argument.

People fund big mountains from every imaginable source. I bet CG believes in this cause more than the next climber believes in say, chase bank or pepsi cola or whatever companies logo they have stamped on their tent, and whomever they send their live-feed updates to. And I wouldn't argue that point.

Ultimately CG seems like a rad athlete, who I want to succeed.

We've always half-joked that avoiding the 'Kathmandu crap' and getting to BC healthy, was the crux of the expedition.

The knee and the flu-like symptoms give me pause - I hope those settle down.

The amount of support/amenities on that particular expedition should help. I hope they're safe up there.

Not on IG, how is Caroline doing?

Looks busy as fuck up there.

www.nytimes/deadly-everest-traffic-jam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 5.21.17 PM.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	921.4 KB 
ID:	283526
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

OK, I get that it is the highest peak etc etc etc but that is as fucking stupid as the Tram line at Big Sky..

Caroline Gleich Harrassment Story

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post

That looks like an absolute nightmare.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxzIVQin...=1pzoz52hxy89j

Her last post seems promising.

25k is getting up there, still a long way to go. Hope the weather holds.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

wow, that is a hell of a picture

What an awful way to experience that mountain. Ugh. Looks like Vail on a Saturday.

Sufferfest during the zombie apocalypse. Guessing it's not a tshirt inversion day

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

stupid AF

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    stupid AF
    Man, I wish I could have the total cash value of all that down outerwear.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Man, I wish I could have the total cash value of all that down outerwear.
    Think of the guide money. Averaging... what, $80,000 a head?

Whenever I hear someone climbed Everest, I think, what a waste of money. You could go heli skiing for 2 straight months with that kind of $$.

The Freedom of the Hills.

how does that work?

Are there passing lanes for those going up to allow those going down by - or vice-versa?

Do they all get to the top, and then all head down in some order?

Do they just give each other a hug as they wiggle past?

Inquiring minds want to know! (ok I just want to know)

Caroline Gleich Harrassment Story

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    how does that work?

Are there passing lanes for those going up to allow those going down by - or vice-versa?

Do they all get to the top, and then all head down in some order?

Do they just give each other a hug as they wiggle past?

Inquiring minds want to know! (ok I just want to know)
    Don’t think so. All the books about climbing Everest talk about the dangerous log jam clusterfucks (even Into Thin Air). Fast teams get slowed down by slower teams, and there’s often a language barrier.

Morning news reported Donald Lynn Cash had died and when I saw the traffic jam on the one was street I thought that might have something to do with it.

Quick search reveals

death-everest-after-indian-and-american-climbers

Death on Everest after Indian and American climbers become stuck in 200-person summit traffic jam
    Donald Lynn Cash and Anjali Kulkarni suffer from fatal altitude sickness, as at least one guide blames 200-person long summit queue for tragedy
    A clear weather window encourages hordes of mountaineers to make for the summit at the same time
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime