Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Asymmetrical binding mount on pow skis?

I was in AK and my old school guide had 120+ wide pow skis, and his bindings were offset towards the inside of each ski by a lot.

His reasoning was that on firm, hardback or even groomers, he had a effective ski width of 70mm, but in soft and pow conditions the full ski width of 120 still floated.

Said it was much better for the joints without compromising and performance, and even bettered the firm snow skiing.

Looked like it would mess with my inside ski (and knee) a lot.

Has anyone ever seen this or better yet ridden a pair of skis mounted like this?

Thoughts/comments?

I have an old pair of junior sized pow plusses bought from mntlion years ago that came that way. don't think anyone ever actually used them, but it always seemed odd to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I skied with a guy once years ago at Loveland that had his monster 103's mounted that way. Thought it was so weird, never seen or heard of it since.

Yeah, pow plusses and Rossi axioms both had offset mounts.

Sounds like you were talking with Jerry about his Wagners?
    I chatted with him about it earlier this winter. He said he has done it for years. Besides the ol' Atomics, this is the only instance I've ever known, but his nickname is the Maestro!
    Was he sporting his modified rear entry boots as well?
    I am curious if more people will chime in with personal experience.

Only when the rubber bumpers fell off one side of the jig.....

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    Sounds like you were talking with Jerry about his Wagners?
    I chatted with him about it earlier this winter. He said he has done it for years. Besides the ol' Atomics, this is the only instance I've ever known, but his nickname is the Maestro!
    Was he sporting his modified rear entry boots as well?
    I am curious if more people will chime in with personal experience.
    Yes, it's jerry and his salomon circa 1993 rear entries, but he skis custom moments. I've skied with him for 15 years, but not recently since 2014 and he didn't have this offset binding setup then. He used to have race plates for the same reason though.

Not that any of that would work for me, but I certainly can't question anything about him, his 300+ first AK descents, nor what he leads me down now. Hats off!!

It sounds kind of crazy but also makes sense in some ways. I'm certainly not going to question someone who is guiding in AK.

My only reservation would be the outside edge of the inside ski on each turn being kind of awkward. It would be fun to try it out, though.

Those of us who learned on long, stiff, straight skis were taught technique that was really more about standing on one ski to make a turn. This 60/40 stuff is so 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    My only reservation would be the outside edge of the inside ski on each turn being kind of awkward. It would be fun to try it out, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Those of us who learned on long, stiff, straight skis were taught technique that was really more about standing on one ski to make a turn. This 60/40 stuff is so 21st century.
    True that, in 90/10 most of the time, maybe 80/20 in some pow conditions

Asymmetrical binding mounting is a holdover from the first introduction of fat skis. It's no longer general practice, but it probably doesn't hurt anything.

The biggest negative consequence I can think of is that it eliminates the opportunity to swap skis right/left and thus focuses edge/base damage in the same areas. Meh. To each their own.

Didn't McConkey mount his Pontoons "Duck Footed?" I can't seem to find a picture of them but I remember an article that touched on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Sure, but in deeper snow that's nearly impossible and it seems like the inside ski might be grabby. But whatever, clearly it works for him.

As I remember, skiing those first generation "fat-boys" that were mounted asymmetrically in super-deep-blower-pow made the insides of my boots sink inward and the outside of the ski rise up. (like being severely supinated)
    It felt weird.
    I say just sack-up and widen your stance, cupcake.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettostyle View Post
    True that, in 90/10 most of the time, maybe 80/20 in some pow conditions
    For sure 90/10 here..Though I been known to windshield wiper a turn or 2.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

My old Pow Pluses were mounted that way. I think they are 112 or 115 under foot. Other then being old fat, heavy skis, they skied fine that way. Now many ski with the same width are center mounted, and ski just fine. I don't think there is any real advantage in the asymmetrical mount, at least I didn't notice any.

Still have them if anybody wants a pair. The original AK heli-ski rental fleet ski.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

One of my first years skiing was the record year at mt baker.

There was a dude who would be in line for first chair on a pair of what I think had to be a 175cm+ carving snowboard... two of them. Mounted with ski bindings that were tucked to the inside edge.

People would heckle him in line, and then they would be stuck in tit deep pow while he flew by hooting and hollering.

old powder pluses where marked and mounted to the inside

the volkl sanouks had a duck mount option

I mounted up my wifes guiding skis duck and this reduced knee pain when she was tail guiding low end groups or in shitty snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    old powder pluses where marked and mounted to the inside

the volkl sanouks had a duck mount option

I mounted up my wifes guiding skis duck and this reduced knee pain when she was tail guiding low end groups or in shitty snow.
    How far duck footed? Seems to make sense as that is a more normal stance for most everyone.

I have Fischer boots with the Soma tech stance which I subtle, but I love the boots.

I currently mount a few regular client's skis "duck," and have for years.
    I've even done what I call a "3D mount" on powder skis... which means that the mount incorporated cants, assym offset, and duck! And I think that it was also a +5mm forward mount as well.
    I love a challenge.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Duck foot mount easing knee pain makes sense. Any issues skinning with a duck foot mount? Seems like it might be less than ideal skinning on a firm traverse.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Duck foot mount easing knee pain makes sense. Any issues skinning with a duck foot mount? Seems like it might be less than ideal skinning on a firm traverse.
    I've thought about this from time to time, but never gave it serious consideration until now. Thinking about how I could prototype the angle without trashing a ski with a mess of holes.

Maybe a thin aluminum plate to receive the holes, mounted to a pair of beater skis. Perhaps mounting holes in the plate could be arc-shaped slots using T-nuts for the mount? Hmm ... could be a Summer project.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by ghettostyle View Post
    How far duck footed? Seems to make sense as that is a more normal stance for most everyone.

I have Fischer boots with the Soma tech stance which I subtle, but I love the boots.

just swapped the spacers ont eh binding jig around so the skis where duck.

FYI: just about ALL boots are offset, not just fischers. They just market it better

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post

she was heli guiding, so had a 212 for the "uptrack"

once she was done guiding, and actually skiing, went back to a normal mount

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I've thought about this from time to time, but never gave it serious consideration until now. Thinking about how I could prototype the angle without trashing a ski with a mess of holes.

Maybe a thin aluminum plate to receive the holes, mounted to a pair of beater skis. Perhaps mounting holes in the plate could be arc-shaped slots using T-nuts for the mount? Hmm ... could be a Summer project.

... Thom
    I have a pair of old bandits you can have for the cost of shipping (short!). And maybe a pair hell and backs...