Cheap Dirt Jumper Opinions

I've been on the lookout for a cheap-yet-decent dirt jumper for a while. I've got a line on one of these in reportedly 9/10 condition for $160: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guid...JR-24-TMO,6613

Seller had this to say about it: "I used it on a pump track like 5 times and pedaled it to work about a dozen times, then it's been sitting in my garage for the last few years. No scratches on it, little to no wear on tires and grips."

Pics back up the description. Bicyclebluebook says these retailed for almost $600 new so it seems like a solid deal. Info I found here says the youth/Jr aspect is just marketing BS since it has 24" tires: http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/thread...24-tmo.249234/ I'm 5-6 so a smaller frame and 24" wheels seems perfect. Even got a thumbs up from Kidwoo in that thread!

Any reason not to pull the trigger? The dude is way up on the North Ogden bench so I'm looking at over 2 hours of driving round-trip to go get it.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-19-2017 at 11:20 AM.

if you can't find one closer, i've got a dj sitting in my basement
    it's in decent shape -- i think the only thing that needs attention is the chain tensioner
    shipping is not something i'm psyched about dealing with, but if you can figure on some mag making a pdx/slc trip with it, it's yours for $100

Attachment 204697

Son of a....

Nice looking bike at a hell of a price, thanks for the offer. Started a PR thread just in case someone is making the trip.

ive actually ridden that 24" voltage around a pump track a few times... the mn guy from that rm thread is a friend of mine
    its an adult sized 24" dj, it rides like a big bmx bike, for better or for worse
    as a mtb background guy who is 6'3'' and lanky i was not a fan, the high bb and low stack height makes me hunch over and bunch up my arms/legs, so while length was ok it still felt very cramped and twitchy
    but my bmx friends liked it and think my low bb slack ha 26" dj bike feels like a battleship, so its all relative
    that said my vote is acinpdx gets his whip out to you somehow so you can shred with kiddo in style

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    6'3'' and lanky
    We couldn't be more different in this regard, hah!

The nice thing about riding an unstylish bike is that it's a license to suck, which I certainly need when it comes to real dirt jumping. I suppose I could buy the Scott tonight as planned, then if I can get acinpdx's bike out here later on somehow I could then re-sell the Scott for most or all of what I paid for it.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-19-2017 at 01:23 PM.

I'm also 6'3" and lanky and grew up riding BMX bikes. Loved hitting trials but as I've gotten older I feel way too tall for 20" bikes. However, I've noticed in recent years a few companies now make a 22" wheel size that looks pretty fun! BMX bikes > DJ mtb IMO

I did not grow up riding bmx bikes, but decided to give it a try about two years ago. Ended up turning my clavicle into a piece of abstract art. Should have known better than to try and learn little wheels post-30.

Bought the bike last night, it's mint.

Got some laps on the Scott yesterday and it was a blast. It took 6 months of fairly dedicated effort on the BMX to progress from "fucking terrifying" to "mildly terrifying," but this thing was a riot from the first run. So fun, I can't wait to get some real time on it.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-24-2017 at 02:08 PM.

awesomesauce, expecting daddy/kiddo combo stoke in the near future!

Anyone have thoughts on Ryan Leech's manual and bunny hop video clinics? Now that I own this bike I feel like I owe it to myself to finally commit to really learning these skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on Ryan Leech's manual and bunny hop video clinics? Now that I own this bike I feel like I owe it to myself to finally commit to really learning these skills.
    15+ yrs of riding a bmx bike and I never could hold a manual for more than like 50ft.

Bunnyhop is pretty simple. Try to be light on your feet if that makes sense. Like compress down and then hop from the pedals while pumping the bike up and out (bars away from you). I found it easier with some speed. Pick a curb and start by trying to hop up that. Then gradually progress!