Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shop owner publishes semi-scientific wheel test - MTBR loses its mind....

Funny that one of the most thorough and scientific bike component tests in the USA is heavily criticized by MTBR posters who rely exclusively on anecdotes, group-think, and bike industry pseudo-science...........

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...s-1042636.html

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...stans-flow-mk3

Also worth checking out his tire tests. Confirms that DHF's are the best and Schwable sucks.

Well... this reinforces my personal experiences. I think the tire you have on there is a lot more important than the rim (within reason).

30 PSI seems high for testing though.

Love DHF's.

My anecdotal experience shows a negligible difference in Strava times between a 1700g LB wheelset and a 1900g Stans wheelset. Same tires, same pressure, same trails, many rides.

I thought this was going to be about the superiority of 26" wheels. I'm disappointed.

I think the rather optimistic word in the thread title is "semi".

If I read this right, each rider rode each wheel set up once and down once. No correction was done for ride order. Nothing was blind. Etc. A population of 5....

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    I think the rather optimistic word in the thread title is "semi".

If I read this right, each rider rode each wheel set up once and down once. No correction was done for ride order. Nothing was blind. Etc. A population of 5....
    Nobody is saying it's a fully scientific experiment. But it's a strong effort at a back to back test with the variables minimized. Much better than trying something a company sends you and giving your subjective impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Nobody is saying it's a fully scientific experiment. But it's a strong effort at a back to back test with the variables minimized. Much better than trying something a company sends you and giving your subjective impressions.
    For someone who talks so much about "east coast gnar" trails, you shouldn't look too hard at anything that uses Grand Ridge as it's test track. Pretty much the opposite of a tech trail.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcYQO3dN4iQ

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    For someone who talks so much about "east coast gnar" trails, you shouldn't look too hard at anything that uses Grand Ridge as it's test track. Pretty much the opposite of a tech trail.
    Those guys are really slow.

Those guys are really slow.
    They're on Stan's.

TL;DR, but slicks on my SS work on Grand Ridge.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

why is he tired?

as flawed as it is, it's free advice and seems like they are buying the wheels so should take it for what it's worth...

tough the tire pressure was a total nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    My anecdotal experience shows a negligible difference in Strava times between a 1700g LB wheelset and a 1900g Stans wheelset. Same tires, same pressure, same trails, many rides.
    Their tests found negligible time differences too. The differences they found were in steering, comfort and deflection.

That's pretty elaborate.

I never thought I'd say this but thanks for posting that damian.

I just read the dirtmerchant test. I don't give a shit what anyone on mtbr thinks.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

For what it's worth there tests are garbage. After reading there tire tests last year I went with there Recs and the tire combo straight up sucked compared to almost anything else I have ridden.

As far as the wheel tests go I've done back to back seasons on the light bicycle rims and Enve's. I honestly can't tell any actual real world performance differences between the two. Sure the Enves are a bit stiffer but hubs have a much greater effect on you're overall speed and resistance then rims do.
    At the end of the day the main difference between Enve and LB is finish quality, ease of sealing the valve stems, and whether or not you want easy access to spoke nipples for trueing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I honestly can't tell any actual real world performance differences between the two.

Yeah someone should try to do a test that at least attempts to take some of the subjectivity out of it.

I agree on his tire mess last year. Less than useless.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Their tests found negligible time differences too. The differences they found were in steering, comfort and deflection.
    To be honest, I didn't notice much difference there either.

For what it's worth there tests are garbage. After reading there tire tests last year I went with there Recs and the tire combo straight up sucked compared to almost anything else I have ridden.
    Missed this, is there a link someone can shortcut me to?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Missed this, is there a link someone can shortcut me to?
    https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/reviews/

I think the tire tests are great. You need to consider the conditions and what their parameters are. They provide an exhaustive amount of detail.

I do admit they could be slightly over inflating their tires, and some tires might benefit or be hampered by that.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/reviews/

I think the tire tests are great. You need to consider the conditions and what their parameters are. They provide an exhaustive amount of detail.

I do admit they could be slightly over inflating their tires, and some tires might benefit or be hampered by that.
    TKS

IDK - Maybe the tests aren't perfect but they will likely evolve over time through the feedback they get on the webz.

One positive thing I can see out of this, is that they are at least making an attempt to compare the products they are purchasing for resale to their customer base.
    This goes a step beyond many retailers who either do not have or take the time or are simply satisfied with letting editorial reviews do the heavy lifting.

I don't think their reviews are perfect either - especially some of the tire comparisons, however there is still useful information that can be gleaned from them.

Edited to add: I don't think the tire inflation is an accident - There are a lot of people out there that run a higher tire pressure than they need to just out of an over abundance of caution and not wanting to deal with tire issues on the trail. Guys and gals that know, also already know what tires they want to run, the large cross section of the market however is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    TKS

IDK - Maybe the tests aren't perfect but they will likely evolve over time through the feedback they get on the webz.

One positive thing I can see out of this, is that they are at least making an attempt to compare the products they are purchasing for resale to their customer base.
    This goes a step beyond many retailers who either do not have or take the time or are simply satisfied with letting editorial reviews do the heavy lifting.

I don't think their reviews are perfect either - especially some of the tire comparisons, however there is still useful information that can be gleaned from them.

Edited to add: I don't think the tire inflation is an accident - There are a lot of people out there that run a higher tire pressure than they need to just out of an over abundance of caution and not wanting to deal with tire issues on the trail. Guys and gals that know, also already know what tires they want to run, the large cross section of the market however is a different story.
    To me it sure looks like they are using the "tests" as a way to push products that they most likely have higher margins on.

To me it sure looks like they are using the "tests" as a way to push products that they most likely have higher margins on.
    Entirely possible - It could also be that they were also looking for a way to justify that move at the same time as well.
    Should they be faulted for that though?

The margins on enves actually aren't that high. They're a ripoff all the way up the chain.

I met one of the guys from knight and talked to him a good bit over a camping/riding weekend. The knight stuff probably has a bigger margin.

Not saying you're wrong just adding some info.

FWIW, my LBS has given up on Enve. Shit shows up way late, hubs not assembled correctly or parts missing, call them up and replacement shit shows up late & defective.
    YMMV.

Yup. That's what we call wheelchair accessible around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yup. Or the products they sell. Can't find it now but they some other comparo at interbike, and surprise, the Turner was far and away the best bike they ever ridden. That and Schwalbe tires were the sh1t in all their older reviews until they started carrying Maxxis...