View Poll Results: Which one is overall your preferred binding?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyrolia/Head/4FRNT Attack

24 18.46%
  • Look/Rossignol Pivot/FKS

71 54.62%
  • Salomon/Atomic STH2 WTR

35 26.92%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    I second this bad boy. I've had zero issue with the older style 13+ years ago still use them and the newest model today. But also own the Attacks and pivots. Pivots and Solly sure do have a apparent "snap" assurance that you're locked in.
    Ditto (minus owning attacks). The metal solly's are the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Pretty sure STH2 toe height is 18.4mm, heel is 24mm. About 5mm higher stack than STH basically.
    I recently measured my Warden MNCs at 19 (toe) & 24 (heel), and my understanding is that the STH2 and Wardens are "twins", so those numbers make sense.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I recently measured my Warden MNCs at 19 (toe) & 24 (heel), and my understanding is that the STH2 and Wardens are "twins", so those numbers make sense.

... Thom
    I don't have the Warden MNC's around any longer to measure but I remember them to have 2-3mm less delta (measured) than STH2's. I replaced the Wardens with STH2's on my Down 114M for the very reason of getting more delta ramp.

Edit; I compared the STH2 WTR 16 with Warden MNC 13, I believe there's also a Warden 11 which is non MNC. Is Warden 11 WTR-rated like STH2?
    Last edited by SoooL; 09-07-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I would bet damn good money you wouldn't be able to tell the the difference in a blind test. Between any of them.
    I agree that I can't tell the difference between bindings when they're under my feet and everything is working, I like my Look Pivots because they tend to work all the time (they stay on when I expect them to stay on, and come off when I expect them to come off).

I've had pre-release problems with some lesser bindings on the same DIN setting as my Pivots, I attribute most pre-releases to lack of elastic travel, and running bindings with the DIN set close to the top of the range. The DIN setting is just measuring the peak force at release, and doesn't account for the slope of the force curve as you're approaching release or the amout of elastic travel you can use before you reach that peak value at release. With a Pivot 18 set on DIN 10, the slope of the force curve is very steep because the springs are so stiff, so the force to move the heel piece up a little bit when you hit a chunk of chunder at mach loony is much lower than the peak force at release, so you can actually use the suspension in the binding without getting ejected. With a 12 DIN binding with a DIN set at 10, the slope of the force curve is much flatter, so the force to move the heel piece up a little bit is much closer to the release force, hence the feeling that you're either in the binding or out, with no suspension in between. I won't claim that I can "feel" the difference in suspension when I'm skiing, but I know I have pre-released from 12 DIN demo bindings set at 10, but I tend to stay in my Pivots set on the same value.

I also had problems with adjustable toe piece wings loosening on some old Salomons, I'm sure they've fixed that problem by now, I haven't tried any of their new offerings.

Those Tyrolia's can't be anywhere near as good as a FKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Those Tyrolia's can't be anywhere near as good as a FKS.
    Wow. Thanks for gracing us with your erudite analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Wow. Thanks for gracing us with your erudite analysis.
    Well, are they? I'd like to get some 16 din Attacks, but was unimpressed by the STH2 16's, so I doubt they are as solid as a FKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Well, are they? I'd like to get some 16 din Attacks, but was unimpressed by the STH2 16's, so I doubt they are as solid as a FKS.
    Read the thread jong. Each binding has it's pluses and minuses. Then if you have something meaningful to add that hasn't been said, say it.

Lol. Just get pivots then, if you like them that much.

I like attack bindings better than STH2, but not as much as Pivots

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well shit, bought some bindings.....
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Read the thread jong. Each binding has it's pluses and minuses. Then if you have something meaningful to add that hasn't been said, say it.
    I've read the thread, twice, dumbass. I've been skiing metal race bindings for 20 years, and sure as shit nothing skis like a 15/18 din FKS or 16/17 din FULL METAL salomons - not the plastic shit they sell wankers like you.

What I want to know is HOW STIFF are the 16 din attacks vs. a 18 din pivot. Is it legit? Or a flexy POS?

Tyrolia Attack vs Look Pivot vs Salomon STH2 Bindings

Attack 18s are most likely stiff enough for you. They have more metal, but still not as much as Pivots or STH Steels

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Attack 18s are plenty stiff

Thanks. Price and weight on the Attack 18's vs. Pivot 18's are about the same. The Attack 16's are lighter and cheaper.

The 18s have more metal than the 16s, if I'm not mistaken. Dont have them with me at the moment to compare.

I dont like the STH2 nearly as much, but it's more in my head, than actual changes to my performance on snow. They get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    The 18s have more metal than the 16s, if I'm not mistaken. Dont have them with me at the moment to compare.

I dont like the STH2 nearly as much, but it's more in my head, than actual changes to my performance on snow. They get the job done.

Attack 18: 5.25lb <---same as a pivot 18
    Attack 16: 4.70lb
    Attack 13: 4.27lb
    Attack 11: 3.66lb <---really light

Page 51:

https://issuu.com/michelwatersport/d..._2016-2017_ski

You know nothing, Jonny Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    You know nothing, Jonny Snow.
    I know FKS IS THE BEST.

Originally Posted by Jonny Snow
    Brawndo is the best! It's got electrolytes! Brawndo, it's what plants crave!
    Erudite indeed.

I'd be curious to see how the different models discussed here compare in an impact absorption test on the heel piece like this one that Look does in their factory as an inspection step (at 2:41, thank you How it's Made):

https://youtu.be/4xFJIRljFB4?t=2m41s

Any unemployed engineers on here that want to run a home study and report the results?

Quote Originally Posted by ClayCole View Post

Any unemployed engineers on here that want to run a home study and report the results?
    We'll have a full report on your desk by Monday morning

Got my hands on some of the Attack 18's, they seem pretty nice. Metal toe wings and top plate, the heel is mostly metal except for the heel cup which appears to be very beefy plastic. They have a tabbed forward pressure adjustment which is a bit shotty on an 18 binding. We'll see.

Have a pair of 18's on my ON3P Jeffrey 114s. Bindings feel likes bricks, definitely a lot of metal in there.

I personally like the tab adjustment, lets very similar BSL's (i.e 295mm and 296mm) click in without having to adjust forward pressure if they're set up correctly (as in carefully make your own templates for those specific boot combo so they both fall in the correct range on the tab).

Still have to adjust AFD height though...

I’ve been slowly converting my quiver, only bindings I’ll be buying from now on are attack 13 and 16
    Last edited by Muggydude; 10-06-2018 at 05:32 PM.

I'm getting some Attack 13s for my 191s. I've never had a problem with Tyrolias after mounting and skiing them on demos for 12 years.
    I like the Attack's wide platform, among other qualities. My parts start breaking at 16 din. 13s are fine for me.

For the Tyrolia attack 13 vs 16 vs 18, other than the DIN, is there any other difference in construction between the bindings? Like how the Pivot 18 is all metal, and the Pivot 14 has a plastic toe. Or are they the same construction?

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    have the bindings changed much since 2017? I know there are attack2's now but no idea what is different.