Sunglasses/glacier glasses that actually protect eyeballs?

I've been using Rudy Project Genetyks for ski touring for a while, and they do a pretty shit job of protecting my eyes from getting sunburnt when I'm on snow for a long day. I think reflected light coming in between the lens and my cheeks is the main issue. Any recommendations on sunglasses that have good coverage, are reasonably comfortable and don't fog?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What's the VLT on your lens? I think you want something like 4-5% VLT.

The trade off with glacier glasses is the more protection they offer, the worse they fog. I like the Julbo Montebiaco, but I might jump up to the Explorer if I were at super high altitude. You'll want the spectron 4 lens for super-bright days or if your eyes are prone to sunburn. I use the Camel photochromatic lens for general touring, but switch to the Spectron 4 for sunny days.

I'm sure other brands make good products, and I'm sure other members have more experience.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I like the julbo darkest lenses...
    I have light colored eyes, so I need darker lenses than most peeps.
    Aggressive in my own mind

I use the Julbo Explorer (Spectron 4 @ 5% VLT).
    They're pretty dark; bluebird/abovetreeline and my eyes feel relaxed.

https://www.rei.com/product/826296/j...unglasses-mens
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Thanks all for the replies; I guess I'll check out Spectron 4 lenses. I also have light-colored eyes. The lenses I have in my Rudy Projects are 20% VLT, which has almost always seemed like enough.

Haven't used the explorer (not much glacier travel in UT) but love my Trek glasses and Aerospace goggles (both zebra fwiw). Definitely would go Spectron 4 Explorer personally if I were worried about snowblindness/ultra bright days/etc.

Want to get a pair of Treks w/camel but just can't justify the cost. Their stuff is rad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    The lenses I have in my Rudy Projects are 20% VLT, which has almost always seemed like enough.
    Then you might like the Trek or Montebianco with a camel lens. lt's not quite as dark as the spectron 4 (despite both claiming 5% VLT), but it is much more useable in graybird days.

I have skied all day on a sunny glacier at altitude with the Montebianco in both the Camel and Spectron 4 lens, and both lenses provide adequate protection. I just think the Spectron 4 is a bit better when it's bright sunny all day.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Then you might like the Trek or Montebianco with a camel lens. lt's not quite as dark as the spectron 4 (despite both claiming 5% VLT), but it is much more useable in graybird days.

I have skied all day on a sunny glacier at altitude with the Montebianco in both the Camel and Spectron 4 lens, and both lenses provide adequate protection. I just think the Spectron 4 is a bit better when it's bright sunny all day.
    similar experience here with two pairs of monte bianco's

the camel lens has an anti-fog treatment which has worked well for me while skinning/touring

I have the camel 2-4 lenses in the Montebianco frame. They are fine for bright days but too dark for skiing in and out of shade mid winter. And they do fog.

Vuarnet Skilynx

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    the camel lens has an anti-fog treatment which has worked well for me while skinning/touring
    I honestly haven't noticed a difference between the spectron 4 and camel in terms of fogging. Have you?

old goat: neckbeard was saying in another thread that the photocromatic lens is temperature sensitive...it stays darker in colder temps. I haven't personally noticed it, but I use goggles for the descent 95% of the time.

photos

Nothing fits my face better than a Rayban wayfarer frame so I buy the sunglasses, get the lenses taken out and replaced with a prescription paid for on my HCSA, I must have 6 or 7 pair in clear/yellow/grey/brown/green

I find Photochromatic lenses don't change fast enough so I don't use em on snow, you wana see something cool put a pair in the sun close behind a window screen, when the lenses changes the pattern on the screen will be on the glasses and fade away in a minute or so
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ............you wana see something cool put a pair in the sun close behind a window screen, when the lenses changes the pattern on the screen will be on the glasses and fade away in a minute or so
    how much weed should i smoke to get the full effect?
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have the camel 2-4 lenses in the Montebianco frame. They are fine for bright days but too dark for skiing in and out of shade mid winter. And they do fog.
    The zebra lenses are good enough to use at dawn and dusk, and in the dark w/a headlamp or some moonlight. Not as great staring at the sun but I've had no problems on bluebird days and I have sensitive light blue eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    how much weed should i smoke to get the full effect?
    whatever you got eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I have light colored eyes, so I need darker lenses than most peeps.
    I have never heard this before. Is this physiologically accurate?

Yes. Lighter eyes = less melanin = more sensitivity.

photos

I have noticed some difference between the lenses that have and those that don't have the anti-fog per Julbo specs.

These are the best choice- https://pitvipersunglasses.com/
    Contact LeavenworthSkier, I think he might be a dealer.

I've been using the Julbo Dolgans (with Spectron 4 lens) for a while and am happy with them. They are pretty dark. Perhaps too dark, IMO, once you get into the shade. They fit close to the face and thus will fog a little when, say, bootpacking. But if shift them forward on my nose, it seems to do the trick. I find wearing a hat with a bill (e.g., a baseball cap) helps my eyes a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I've been using the Julbo Dolgans (with Spectron 4 lens) for a while and am happy with them. They are pretty dark. Perhaps too dark, IMO, once you get into the shade. They fit close to the face and thus will fog a little when, say, bootpacking. But if shift them forward on my nose, it seems to do the trick. I find wearing a hat with a bill (e.g., a baseball cap) helps my eyes a lot too.
    Hat with a brim is key for spring touring or even midwinter, keeps the snow out of your eyes with sunglasses on as well as keeping that evil sun at bay.

I would add that even though the Montebiancos fog with heavy exercise they don't keep the wind out of my eyes on fast descents. I got them more for hiking above treeline and the like than for skiing.

Cebe Ice 8000.

Itīs available with different lenses, a.o. mineral glass with some 4-5% VLT.
    I have both this and the version with the Vario Peak lenses (should be cat 2-4)
    Skinning 4 days at 3500-4000m in full sun, the latter was sometimes border-line, but it seems like I survived.