Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's Spring. Wash your ski clothes.

A Patagonia rep told me this over the phone. May be obvious to most, but, I've never consciously cleaned my ski clothes before the long sleep in storage until next December. Usually clean them in the fall when I start thinking of that first day. Well, all that sweat is very corrosive, and slowly eats away at Gore Tex linings and other materials, so, wash them before you store them.

My ski season ends in August. But washing them could be a good idea anyhow... I'm always scared that washing them will reduce the water repellent effect?

Yes, that is the downside, so, use Nikwash and then Nikwax, both of which Patagonia recommends.

I've read that proper wash and dry can restore water repellency.

Dirtiness makes the garment less water repellant

Wash then tumble dry low re-activates DWR supposedly...

Wash your tech wear regularly for best performance. It is a good idea to reapply the DWR after a few washes or when it starts to wet out. Like any technical piece of equipment outerwear requires preventive maintenance for continued performance.

I've taken to washing ski clothes and other techy outerwear often. It's really improves breathability and water repellency. Makes me cringe when I see someone wearing ski clothes that have never been washed.

Problem w this is I heard that Neoshell at least loses waterproofing the more it's washed. Don't know how true this is

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Problem w this is I heard that Neoshell at least loses waterproofing the more it's washed. Don't know how true this is
    The DWR finish can degrade over time with washing, just like other waterproof fabrics. Washing helps maintain waterproofness.

What's this about powdered detergent being OK to use?
    Might have to go that route if so. Or at least a small bottle of Ivory Snow or Woolite. That Nikwax shit is a ripoff. It's just gentle soap. But I buy it because I'm dumb.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

last year I used the nikwax tech wash followed by the wash in TX.direct. will probably try out the spray this year after realizing that the inside on the jacket doesn't need the DWR coating..

about this time of year I'm just starting to finally cultivate that nice ballsack odor I shoot for all season

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    last year I used the nikwax tech wash followed by the wash in TX.direct. will probably try out the spray this year after realizing that the inside on the jacket doesn't need the DWR coating..
    Ruins the breathability. I know everyone says that, but it's also been my experience, so it seems true. At least subjectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    about this time of year I'm just starting to finally cultivate that nice ballsack odor I shoot for all season
    Essential.
    No longer stuck.

Ruins the breathability. I know everyone says that, but it's also been my experience, so it seems true. At least subjectively.

Essential.
    But then, what to do? Wetting out kind of ruins breathability too?

Pulled this from the grease stains thread.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I4N6ZuKTZ_c

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    But then, what to do? Wetting out kind of ruins breathability too?
    Use some Atsko or 303 water repellant treatment. Spray on, solvent based. They work really well.

Atsko makes a "sport wash" that works well and is WAY cheaper than nikwax stuff.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

While we're on the subject, don't wash your levis or self edge denim in a machine either, if you're going for the cool fade. Some people put em in the freezer or fabreeze. Hand wash in cold water and air dry, good to wear em wet to get the formed fit back.

Solid advice, spring season tram rides are very fragrant....

so spray > wash ?

at least for the actual waterproofing process

Unless you need the inside of your jacket to have dwr!

Funny thing happened after I used the wash-in. Snow in the hood would melt when I got back to the car and headed home. Took me a minute to figure out what the sloshing sound behind me was. I thought my car might be flooding. The dwr was keeping the water in the hood in a little puddle!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    so spray > wash ?

at least for the actual waterproofing process
    I think you might be confusing water repellent with waterproof. The fabric is waterproof but it still has a durable water repellent coating applied. This need to be refreshed so the fabric doesn't wet out on the exterior. Even soft shells with no membrane have a dwr coating. Washing keeps fabrics with a waterproof membrane waterproof.

from the patagucci website:
    Washing

Washing instructions are printed on a white tag inside our garments. Following our garment instructions will help make sure that your gear has a long, interesting life. In general, washing your gear in cold or warm water with mild powder laundry soap (non-toxic, biodegradable types preferred) and drying it on the line are the best ways to clean Patagonia® products.

For a guide to the FTC product care symbols that you may see used on our clothing care tags, download this information as a PDF file, click here.

Replenishing Water-Repellency
    Most waterproof/breathable shells on the market are originally treated with a Durable Water-Repellant finish (DWR), which keeps the outer fabric from becoming saturated so that the breathable barrier can do its job. This coating needs to be replenished once per season, or more often if the piece gets a lot of use or washing. If water is no longer beading up on your shell, it’s time to put on another finish. Our favorites are Grangers® products, though there are many good products on the market. Whatever you choose, be sure to use a spray-on for two-layer garments (with a hanging mesh liner) or a wash-in for three-layer garments (with an interior fabric protecting the barrier). If the situation does not change, please send us the garment and we’ll take a look (see Returns and Exchanges).

I ran out of DWR product so I sprayed half a beta shell in grangers and half in revivex right down the middle, after 9 months of wear they both repelled water about the same SO I think the water based stuff is pretty much all the same shit ... IMO just use whatever the store is selling

I havent had much experiance with the solvent based product
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This has been covered 1000 times here....

Wash with tide "free and clear" or similar white label detergent... (it's just odorless, additiveless, colorless tide)

Dry hot.. helps restore the DWR

If the DWR is gone hang outside or in the garage and spray on 303... or do it in your kitchen if you like the smell.

DWR will make any floor or tub surface more slippery than deer guts on a door knob when you try to walk on it with socks OR if you get it on a wood deck you will have a water beeding outline of your shell on that deck until it wears off ... I hang stuff i want to treat over my gravel driveway
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know