Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Had a conversation with a guy who did some softgoods design work for a large company that produces Goretex garments. He recommended using Dawn non perfumed dish soap. It strips the grime and pulls body sweat/dirt/oil contamination outta the fabric. It's the 'same stuff they used to clean the crude oil of the birds after the exxon valdez', iirc. Can't recall specifics past that but pretty sure other recommendations included wash it on the cool side of hot and double rinse.

He had some other tech info regarding DWR restoration as well but memory is hazy. I think he suggested that restoring inherent DWR is a function of heat vs. time. So, for a given hot temp, exposure time is reduced, for a lower heat, exposure time is increased to obtain similar results; there was a curve. Something to do with molecules moving to new location...over my head for chemistry/physics stuff.

I mentioned an incident years ago where i accidentally dropped a pretty hot iron on my goretex jacket and it was left there for a few minutes. Noticed that for the life of the jacket that patch seemed to show 'factory fresh' DWR performance much longer than the rest of the jacket after successive wash/dry cycles. It was after that comment that he explained the heat/time curve thing.

Never had the patience to do the ironing thing to restore DWR, but it's probably the most effective method. I just chuck the garment in the dryer and crank it to the highest setting for an hour and hope for the best and live with the less than optimal results.
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Well if I learnt anything from this thread so far itís that ski gear washing techniques are like assholes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm impressed that the Tide Pod and Simple Green don't seriously mess up your stuff. Perhaps it is more stout than some lead us to believe.

I washed my ski pants recently (3 layer GTX, not Pro) using Tide Free and Clear liquid in warm water, "XL Load" setting (giggity!). Dried on Low/Delicate for about 30 minutes and called it good. I think the DWR seems more effective now than it did prior to washing, but they were pretty gross with visible salt/sweat stains in many places, and other general mung from being used for resort and bc skiing, as well as snow shoveling.

Washing your shit does remove the DWR, but not after one wash cycle. But we all knew that.
    The outer fabric layer protects the GoreTex membrane and the membrane itself is actually quite durable against chemicals.
    I've gone full on detergent and scrub, even with ski wax remover on some grease stains (bio citron ski wax solvent).
    My GorTex pants have 6 years of use on them and I duct tape the holes from pole punctures just to add a little "Red Green" ambiance.
    I can't seem to destroy them.
    No problems with rain or even when sitting in wet spring snow.
    So maybe some people store stuff where it goes moldy
    .. and mold can eat into almost anything even pure plastics and rubber.

Dawn dish soap and a nail brush worked well on a few years worth of grime on my cuffs. Patience is the key.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I will use a powdered detergent to was and hit the stains with some spray n wash rub the face fabric against itself which usually works pretty well

but from my experiance working on drysuits i think Micol has a good point to be careful with the dryer heat which can delam tape & gortex so i try to limit the dryer action which means just enough to get the piece dry, yeah the tape and membrane is suposed to stay stuck BUT I don't wana push it

I had a dry suit yesterday where large portions (areas the size of yer hand) of the membrane has delamed from the face fabric (not gortex) and this thing had never been washed or dryed, when I aired it up to pressure test i didnt find any holes but the air leaked down really quick , its cheap fabric which is NOT gortex and just plain fucking worn out/failing, so we sold it and we told the buyer there is a reason he is getting it really cheap.

The owner found some boxes in the shop with a doz well used suits we are gona sell off pretty cheap, I told him ya sell em in Alberta cuz i don't wana see that shit coming back here for service
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    "Red Green" ambiance
    If the women don't find you handsome...
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    If the women don't find you handsome...
    They oughta find you handy.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    My GorTex pants have 6 years of use on them and I duct tape the holes from pole punctures just to add a little "Red Green" ambiance...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...h-Aqua-seal-eh

just in case you want a permanenet fix but then you gotta get all that ductape glue off the gortex, I use tolulene

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...h-Aqua-seal-eh

just in case you want a permanenet fix but then you gotta get all that ductape glue off the gortex, I use tolulene

Repaired/patched after year four but now into season 12, I just let nature take it's course. Haven't noticed many negatives; for warm days, get better chimney effect ventilation from the perforations in bottoms on the one leg and full on a/c from the leg with the cut off bottom.

Name:  P1110395.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  115.1 KB

Possibly repairs have slid too far at this point so you could just make those into cutoffs

Possibly repairs have slid too far at this point so you could just make those into cutoffs
    On the 'cutoff' note: the torn and shredded internal gaitor on these pants inspired cutting out the internal gaitors on a new to me pair of 6 year old bibbed gore tex ski pants I use for colder day ski tours and heliskiing. On the old pants, started using external ski straps to seal the cuff area for bootpacks and snowpit work. For the 'new' pants, inserted drawstrings with grommets at the cuff bottoms and works way mo betta while in the wide open setting for touring and cinched shut for bootpacking and snowpit work. Leave em wide open for all day long ski touring, hill days and heliskiing; snow doesn't ever seem to creep up... contrary to previous assumption. Haven't looked at recent tech in ski pant design, might be standard at this point, no clue.

well according to larry

well according to larry
    Didn't u cover that tune on mainstage at midsummer 2011, X'er? Or was that boarderdave?

no I'm the audience, my teenaged neighbor who always has her pants the correct length showed me that vid