Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 114
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,732
    Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    about this time of year I'm just starting to finally cultivate that nice ballsack odor I shoot for all season
    Bunny probably just smells of breakfast buffet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Selkirks
    Posts
    212
    Yeah, a friend of mine warrantied his Arc'teryx shell because a lot of the seam tape was coming off. They replaced it but they said it was due to "human fluid contact" and scolded him for not washing enough.
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,508
    Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    "human fluid contact"
    Gross.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,469
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Unless you need the inside of your jacket to have dwr!

    Funny thing happened after I used the wash-in. Snow in the hood would melt when I got back to the car and headed home. Took me a minute to figure out what the sloshing sound behind me was. I thought my car might be flooding. The dwr was keeping the water in the hood in a little puddle!
    This is the dumbest comment I have read all day.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This is the dumbest comment I have read all day.
    You should check out this thread than...:

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...nt-on-pow-skis

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Golden BC
    Posts
    3,594
    How about your ski boots? Take out the foot beds , put in pan and cover with a layer of hydrogen peroxide. Even if not sticky will still fuzz. Rinse, dry and reinstall.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    You should check out this thread than...:

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...nt-on-pow-skis
    Lol, I was just reading through that thread...

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    This is the dumbest comment I have read all day.
    K
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,062
    Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    Yeah, a friend of mine warrantied his Arc'teryx shell because a lot of the seam tape was coming off. They replaced it but they said it was due to "human fluid contact" and scolded him for not washing enough.
    A friend received the same scolding from the dead bird warranty dept. They still replaced his jacket as well.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    flatland
    Posts
    2,801
    OP
    from the recently covered but always timely catalog:

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=nikwax

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    5,898

    It's Spring. Wash your ski clothes.

    Bump

    It's that time of the year again folks.
    Alpental Indigenous

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    477

    THIS JUST IN!!!



    Jackets

    We recommend never washing your laminate jacket. Yes, that's right. Although, our fabric manufacturers do not supply this information to us, we have found that the saturating of any premium fragile high grade water proof breathable (wpb) membrane with water and detergent, will destruct its performance qualities and most likely result in a delimitation of the fabric face/ membrane and interior layers. That may occur with one wash or take several to achieve. It depends on type of detergent, type of machine and wash cycles. Saturation will occur either due to natural deterioration of DWR and or through needle holes in jacket construction. Regular outdoor use does not lead to delamination unless DWR has been worn away and or use of rubbing from things such as back pack shoulder straps, waist and chest belts occurs.
    Furthermore retreating DWR repellent with products such as Nikwax, and other similar do not produce OEM level results.
    If you absolutely must wash. follow the care guidelines found on Tek Wash bottles. However, we have seen very negative results from washing fragile wpb membranes.


    ...that would be from the freeridesystems.com website.
    ( http://www.freeridesystems.com/washing-care-guide )



    Haha! Not sure if this is the best advice or not, but it'd be hard to argue these guys not knowing their shit. In any case: I cite this statement any time my wife gives me shit about my less-than-shimmering ski outerwear (unto deaf ears of course, but it sort of, temporarily, ends the conversation, lol).

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    6,062
    MiCol knows what he's talking about.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,193
    Good info here, and thanks for the nudge.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    3,870
    ^^^^^yes it's true, I've got about 4-5 years examining the neoshell hardshell and a hybrid softshell (my personal jackets) and those of people that either send us other brands for "Threads for Shreds" trade in program or every blue moon few times we have received "warranty" delams of our own brand....i can promise the neglect that I put a jacket through should delam the hell out of one based on the "warranty" people saying they have never washed or washed like once and only wear to church on Sunday. I have laughed at some examples..... But, I also cry because these folks really want us to eat an expensive to make jacket due to their need to be cat clean.....as an example, I have seen one of the 2012-ish green polartec (non membraned) fabric jackets come in and its new color was gray. It also looked like panty hose had been used to sew the jacket and a fleece liner was installed separately that kind of flapped around. I laughed/cried. That is probably the worst delam altho the blistered ones really make me shudder....

    Hence, why we now just fly the "never, ever, never wash your jacket" flag. I've got a 4-5 year old hardshell used for snowmobiling, riding, loading, working on them, etc and the water still beads up on it. No blisters, no delam, no issues. ...

    I will say that seam tape will come loose in a dryer due to heat. Not necessarily flapping lose, but enough so that when you start wearing the jacket it will spread and even more lifts off. (the good news there is that it can be adhered back down with good results) god forbid you use a dryer softner sheet, this is the death blow....you really hate your jacket if you use one of those....

    so, Don't wash if you like your jacket. Other brands have approx $25 cost in their jackets (if not neoshell, gore-tex, eVent and ykk zippers). They will replace your jacket if you screw it up because it costs them virtually nothing and when you fanboi them and buy another because of their stellar customer service they will make a 80%+ profit. That is not the case with us.....

    p.s. bodily fluids do negatively affect wpb membranes, but the interior tricot interior is there to protect, as is the grid fleece on softshell laminates. dont wear a jacket nude and you will be fine...
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    25% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT18'

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Solid advice, spring season tram rides are very fragrant....
    Thank you for this ^^^

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    244
    Ugh, so much fucking work. This is exactly why I ski nekkid.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 05-29-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,071
    What .... like EVERY spring????

    That's ridiculous.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,620
    I wash everything with powdered detergent at least once year and and re-treat with waterbased granger/revivex/ nikwax spray on DWR or a solvent based product

    I generaly thro it in the dryer but you don't have to stick it in a hot dryer if you don't want ... just let it air dry

    IME the only tape that ever came off was not applied properly

    but if you would rather be dirty thats ok too
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

    IME the only tape that ever came off was not applied properly

    but if you would rather be dirty thats ok too
    just wondering if you have you run a seam taping machine? a lone garment in a dryer can hit 160F and that is more than enough heat melt the glue on tape. when a seam tape machine puts tape on it should fuse with interior like tricot. However, when the wheels roll over a fat perpendicular seam the wheels are not going to hit the first few mm after the seam cross. that is your weak point. then you dry it hot, or submerge in chemicals and water (wash) and this is where the tape will start to lift.

    dont hate teh dirt, a little dirt will set you free....
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    25% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT18'

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,055
    Confused.

    I live in dirt and mud and snow. My gtx jacket is pretty grimy on the exterior. Water won't bead in many places. What am i supposed to do to change that?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Confused.

    I live in dirt and mud and snow. My gtx jacket is pretty grimy on the exterior. Water won't bead in many places. What am i supposed to do to change that?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    let's see a pic
    what's the age of jacket
    how many times have you washed it


    here ya go
    just let me know (and everybody else here) if you can get the same results
    I have not. I also own a gallon or two of a major chemical co brand's dwr that they try to sell to us by the drum. I considered repacking
    and selling to my thousands of jacket customers. easy money , right? but I could not get the results of oem applied dwr, so i scratched the project. if you can get the results like the video below, please share with us all because everyone will benefit. please share the results step by step. Their video kinda does that but something must be missing because I cannot replicate. also, please report how long it lasts if you can get it to bead up like video

    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    25% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT18'

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,620
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    just wondering if you have you run a seam taping machine? a lone garment in a dryer can hit 160F and that is more than enough heat melt the glue on tape. when a seam tape machine puts tape on it should fuse with interior like tricot. However, when the wheels roll over a fat perpendicular seam the wheels are not going to hit the first few mm after the seam cross. that is your weak point. then you dry it hot, or submerge in chemicals and water (wash) and this is where the tape will start to lift.

    dont hate teh dirt, a little dirt will set you free....

    No but I'm a dry suit tech so over the yars I've worked on literaly hundreds of examples of about 6 different brands of coated nylon/ real gortex/ gortex wannabe dry suits with taped seams, so i see all the broken ones a few years out when they need service,

    Some companies do a great job of taping, make a great product like Kokatat, they have always been THE hands down best maker of dry suits period,

    and some companies make products that consistently suck due to poor materials, poor design, poor execution of the product and the inability to run a tape machine ( one would assume ? ) so IME some companies just make a shitty product. I can look at a suit on the to-be-repaired pile and know where its gona suck before i even pick it up because some companies just suck and pretty much the same things will suck every time.

    And this is without dry suits ever going in the dryer cuz they can't be put in a dryer, still the tape job fails, I don't know why it fails, I don't care why it fails, I just don't buy that shit ( I buy Kokatat ) but the man pays me to fix the shit that sucks stuff so i say to him why do you buy this shit ... uh its cheaper

    I supose you could say well those are just dry suits but IME its a more extreme app and a poorly constructed/ poorly taped gortex product is gona show up right away

    so if a product can't handle a little soap & water I just buy something that will
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    3,870
    kokatat has been around since 70’s and only brand operation outside of us running seam taping machines i know of, exception may be older Simms. im not defending our tape pre 2015 which is when we got better at it , tape may not lift on the dry suit gore fabric ( see below) if starting in a non compromised position,my point is soaps and chemicals destroy membranes and dwr - fact....


    Also, I’m not sure what you’re referring to when you say coated original Gore-Tex. Are you talking about the membrane is exposed ? that would be white, or Tricot, that would be gray, or are you talking about a polyurethane coating? or something specific to the Evolution product? Whatever the case, all fabrics require specific tape, Gore requires you use their tape and their specific tape machine. overqll tons of tapes and wpb’s out there each with there own specific needs and performance or lack thereof....kokatats stuff is meant to be in the water as paddle gear, doubtful they would suggest a tub of soap or chems would b good over long haul....

    i’m not really sure why anyone would wash or dry suit since they are so expensive and they’re constantly in the river/water anyway. but hey I’m not a paddler...... so i wouldnt know....there would be a difference between fabrics that are designed specifically for fresh and saltwater which i see they are calling Evolution 3.21 oz. nylon 3-layer GORE-TEX® Pro body in the Rogue vs a more delicate fabric like neoshell....apples to apples and all....
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    25% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT18'

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Leadville, CO
    Posts
    3,870
    ^ also got to ask, are they sending u the delams for repair or do they toss those, warranty going to be company specific and looks like paddle gear tops are under 2yds @ $30 y plus say $50 to make in house selling for $500, so i notice they say hand wash or machine with liquid, but one would need to kno their specific warranty regarding delam to guage wherher to suggest washing but at 3y per ski jacket with hood @$40 y <moq color) and $40 an hour for tape labor + make cost ykk mil spec plastic et and sub $300 selling price when taking discounts or trades , x im going to tell u not to wash all day long because they have about $400 gp per jkt to decide to reinvest to keep cistomer and i have $100 ish

    just saying, there’s a lot more that goes into the equation of policy then just whether the garmentt can take the abuse or not. I would rather tell my customers and friends to take it easy on the garment and therefore it last longer because for some damn reason every time a jacket explodes people want me to eat it, I don’t want to say much due to competition in trade secrets, but I will say that we have Probably less than 1/10 of 1% that comes back to us as a warranty claim.
    My Company: Made in Colorado SKi Clothing- check it out

    www.freeridesystems.com
    25% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT18'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •