Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 316
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,436

    WWMD: House Buying

    Help decide the fate of Leavenworth Skier:

    1.) Hold Out because the market is going to tank soon due to QE coming to an end and other zerohedge doom/gloom predictions.

    2.) Buy house #1 that is on 5 Acres with 3 large shops but is only a single bedroom home and a really weird 1980s architectural experiment. The house is large (2k sqft) but has no bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. 2 open floors with partitions. Would need some remodeling if we had kids. Shops are desirable because of my hobbies.

    3.) Buy house #2 that is on 22 acres, nice house but no shop other than a weird carport. 4 Bed/2Bath, 2200 sqft. Beautiful property, gently sloping hillside all the way to the summit of a 3000' ridge. Very nice house, built in

    4.) Buy 70 acres with well and site built, and jump into building a house.

    Assume all are a similar distance to work, all are a nice setting, and the net result would be about the same cost. First time homebuyer. Currently renting a low cost place, and should we go with option #3 could afford rent plus land/construction loan payments no problem.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,843
    It's harder to get a loan for raw land. Rates look like they are headed lower so don't expect a rate induced crash anytime soon.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    3,657
    I would go with option number three, and build a shop. Pole buildings are cheap
    Last edited by NW_SKIER; 04-12-2017 at 02:16 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,280
    Tiny house living or building in trees seems to be the rage these days. Something ~600 sq ft with a nice view of the ocean.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    4 gives you a buffer off the grid a bit,possible production of some kind, investment for future if you can subdivide. build a simple small open floor plan house with the intent to make additions as necessary. shop is an easy addition or separate building.

    i see a marijuana grow operation in your future!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    commune with food production for when the shit hits the fan and you and your friends need to pool resources and weapons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    gnArvada
    Posts
    3,042
    Need pics of the kooky house, that option sounds intriguing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,887
    Option 4.

    Since your area will be a Seattle suburb in 15 years that land will make $$$$ selling it to condo developers. There will be a Whole Foods and a Dog Spa there in no time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    7,977
    #3 definitely. Doesn't even seem close. A pole barn is a much easier fix than buildibg a house or significantly altering one.

    Besides then you get to build your sweet shop just the way you want.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    hell, CA pop 4
    Posts
    2,360
    3 shops sounds the most interesting to me.

    Don't agree that it's cheap to add a shop, especially if they have cement floors.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,832
    Another vote for #3.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,341
    I don't know how "easy" it is building there but that in itself can be a marriage killer. I'm not in favor of doing a shitload of renovation post purchase , especially if money is a factor. Things always cost twice as much and three times longer than you ballpark.
    From the options #3 would be my choice as long as your wife thinks it's a nice house. Shops are much cheaper to build than a full blown kitchen and two bathroom remodel.
    Don't know about inventory in your area but less you have to to better IMO, wait for the place you want to live in.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,338
    Buy the red one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,338
    based on the limited info provided, I'd choose option 3 and build a shop (if it's really needed).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,849
    3 for simplicity
    4 for the business is doing well and you want to go custom

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,807
    1
    .

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,109
    I would vote for number 3. Much easier and cost effective to build a shop than to remodel a house plus you've got considerably more acreage.

    Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    3 shops sounds the most interesting to me.

    Don't agree that it's cheap to add a shop, especially if they have cement floors.
    Concrete. It's fucking concrete! Cement is an ingredient in concrete.

    Sorry, just had to get that out.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,807
    let it out
    .

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,436
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It's harder to get a loan for raw land. Rates look like they are headed lower so don't expect a rate induced crash anytime soon.
    THAT'S WHAT THE BANKERS SAY, BUT RON PAUL SEZ BUY MORE GOLD!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I would go with option number three, and build a shop. Pole buildings are cheap
    Yeah. #3...Dude it's a bitchin' spot, if it happens I'll be able to set up a downhill mountain bike trail and a rifle range. And probably have good skiing during the right kind of winter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Tiny house living or building in trees seems to be the rage these days. Something ~600 sq ft with a nice view of the ocean.
    how about a normal house in the mountains?

    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post

    i see a marijuana grow operation in your future!

    Dumb county has basically outlawed growing. https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...-cannabis-ban/

    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    commune with food production for when the shit hits the fan and you and your friends need to pool resources and weapons.
    option #3 has that capability and is at the very top of canyon, so you have good overwatch opportunities.

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Need pics of the kooky house, that option sounds intriguing.
    Name:  400.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  30.1 KB

    It's basically this but red. Not going to post the actual pic, I know you kooks will reverse google that shit and find out where I live. gotta maintain opsec.

    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Option 4.

    Since your area will be a Seattle suburb in 15 years that land will make $$$$ selling it to condo developers. There will be a Whole Foods and a Dog Spa there in no time.
    Name:  66215400.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  30.0 KB

    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    #3 definitely. Doesn't even seem close. A pole barn is a much easier fix than buildibg a house or significantly altering one.

    Besides then you get to build your sweet shop just the way you want.
    Agreed on all fronts.

    Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    3 shops sounds the most interesting to me.

    Don't agree that it's cheap to add a shop, especially if they have cement floors.
    The 3 shops are pretty neat, one has 4 bays, the other 2 are insulated single bay 20x30 things.

    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Another vote for #3.
    Starting to see a trend.

    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I don't know how "easy" it is building there but that in itself can be a marriage killer. I'm not in favor of doing a shitload of renovation post purchase , especially if money is a factor. Things always cost twice as much and three times longer than you ballpark.
    From the options #3 would be my choice as long as your wife thinks it's a nice house. Shops are much cheaper to build than a full blown kitchen and two bathroom remodel.
    Don't know about inventory in your area but less you have to to better IMO, wait for the place you want to live in.
    Wife is fully stoked on #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Buy the red one.
    #2 is red...

    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    based on the limited info provided, I'd choose option 3 and build a shop (if it's really needed).
    Shop really is needed. I am a collector of derelict and poorly running 80s vehicles. Suburbans, Isuzu Troopers, Jeeps. If it has rudimentary fuel injection and questionable wiring, I'm down.

    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    4 for the business is doing well and you want to go custom
    you might know a guy, eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    1
    Ron Paul 2008!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I would vote for number 3. Much easier and cost effective to build a shop than to remodel a house plus you've got considerably more acreage.
    #3 is winning out I think.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,359
    Poorly running 80s vehicles means your "3 shops" will quickly become one space where you can kinda work on shit and the other two will just be stuffed full of shit. You're not going to work out of three separate spaces.

    Buy #3, build the kind of shop you want. Compared to building or renovating a house, building a shop is much cheaper and easier.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Couloirfornia
    Posts
    8,726
    #3 for sure, provided you like the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,436
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Poorly running 80s vehicles means your "3 shops" will quickly become one space where you can kinda work on shit and the other two will just be stuffed full of shit. You're not going to work out of three separate spaces.

    Buy #3, build the kind of shop you want. Compared to building or renovating a house, building a shop is much cheaper and easier.
    I could string big blue tarps between the shops for additional storage space?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    46,998
    You got different wheels in motion there. Building custom will cost more, but you get what you want. Plus it's on 70 acres. If you can swing the money to build I lean that way.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,436
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You got different wheels in motion there. Building custom will cost more, but you get what you want. Plus it's on 70 acres. If you can swing the money to build I lean that way.
    on the scale from poor skibum to high-roller deer valley pedestrian, I'm closer to poor skibum. #3 wins again.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Poorly running 80s vehicles means your "3 shops" will quickly become one space where you can kinda work on shit and the other two will just be stuffed full of shit. You're not going to work out of three separate spaces.

    Buy #3, build the kind of shop you want. Compared to building or renovating a house, building a shop is much cheaper and easier.
    Winner!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •