Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beartooth Basin Summer Shred

Heyo,

I'm looking to come up for the FWQ 2* event at beartooth basin, it's Saturday June 17, I'm not 100% if I'll be coming up yet, but would love to meetup with some mags if anyone else is gonna be up there.

I'm thinking of going too. From California, which is silly because Squaw, but I'm probably going to do this as a greater road trip. I have to pass through SLC, but surely more mags are thinking summer too.

Might know another guy trying to go from SLC, in my eyes the more the merrier. I'm all down for saving gas money

I'm looking forward to the drive but not looking forward to finally plunking down for a roof box to hold my skis. I don't mind a carpool at all but I'll likely have a dog in my Impreza hatch claiming half the back space. Beartooth looks like the opposite of Squaw and that's where I want to be in June for sure.

Just paid for my FWQ event license, so guess I'm committed now

Yo tambien dude. I just want a nonzero amount of points and to ski that smexy 45-50deg cornice they have. I'm pretty sure I accomplish this just by keeping my skis on. This is going to be pretty damn cool. Too much driving, but at least it's summer and lots of daylight for the trip.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18121246_1532501630117142_3226965476121359982_o.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	205084

Name:  Beartooth.png
Views: 498
Size:  649.0 KBI'm a nerd so I made this guessing what the venue is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalkor View Post
    Name:  Beartooth.png
Views: 498
Size:  649.0 KBI'm a nerd so I made this guessing what the venue is going to be.
    Man you're doing your freaking homework on this one.

I've been looking for pictures and I wish there was better pictures of the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Man you're doing your freaking homework on this one.

I've been looking for pictures and I wish there was better pictures of the venue.
    Pretty sure there's still a video around of ben wheeler at that comp from a long time ago.

All the videos I can find on this place, it looks rowdy. And looks like good soft corny snow, only thing we can hope for.

That vimeo one gives a pretty good perspective on the rowdyness that can gotten up to. That cornice looks massive.

Talking to my buddy who was there more than a decade ago just said that the place was pretty steep.

In the vimeo, that cornice drop at 0:40 is disgustingly huge. I'm going to have to pack my balls.

In the vimeo, that cornice drop at 0:40 is disgustingly huge. I'm going to have to pack my balls.
    Nothing like fucking massive drops in to corn

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    I'm looking to come up for the FWQ 2* event at beartooth basin, it's Saturday June 17, I'm not 100% if I'll be coming up yet, but would love to meetup with some mags if anyone else is gonna be up there.
    Its a MRA hosted event so there will definitely be mags up there.

Beartooth basin is STEEP! super fun little ski area, spend a few extra days and ski some of the coolies right off the road, plenty of skiing up there to keep one entertained for awhile. Good luck fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Its a MRA hosted event so there will definitely be mags up there.

Beartooth basin is STEEP! super fun little ski area, spend a few extra days and ski some of the coolies right off the road, plenty of skiing up there to keep one entertained for awhile. Good luck fellas!
    Damn, literally only thing people have said about that place is that it's steep. I'm expecting just super gnarly steepness at this point.

Also, confession time, never ridden a t-bar so that should be fun.

Just a heads up for those planning to come to the Summer Shredfest that both the solar powered Yodeler Motel and Red Lodge KOA are offering $10 off per night for Shredfest participants. Just let them know at time of booking.

Also, if you purchase a $29 Mountain Playground Card, you get 2 for 1 lift tickets all season plus 30 other exclusive discounts.
    Last edited by MtnRA; 04-28-2017 at 11:53 PM.

How viable is sleeping in my station wagon, like will I be able to find somewhere to park that's not too cold to just go that route?

There are a few places to camp down low along Rock Creek, in case you don't want to freeze in your car up on the plateau.

Also, don't forget the easy pickins on the Gardner headwall, and the road laps down to BM 8640 hairpin by hoofing over the top of Twin 10515.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    There are a few places to camp down low along Rock Creek, in case you don't want to freeze in your car up on the plateau.

Nice I'll be sure to check that out. The doggo and I were never cold in Tahoe, but that's far lower and milder, even in June? We prepare regardless. Speaking of which, he's fine in the car for 3 hours but is it unreasonable to bring a giant snow-loving labrador or is it unreasonably cruel to leave him at home?

Nice I'll be sure to check that out. The doggo and I were never cold in Tahoe, but that's far lower and milder, even in June? We prepare regardless. Speaking of which, he's fine in the car for 3 hours but is it unreasonable to bring a giant snow-loving labrador or is it unreasonably cruel to leave him at home?
    I encourage you to bring him if only because I really like doggos.

So this is what the venue should be, never thought I'd be saying I hope snow melts because I don't see a lot of features to hit.

Guess the goal will have fun off the cornice, and hit a feature below that and then go mach silly to the bottom.

Name:  18199526_1541283425905629_1003095553984632098_n.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  57.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRA View Post
    Also, if you purchase a $29 Mountain Playground Card, you get 2 for 1 lift tickets all season plus 30 other exclusive discounts.
    Sight says it is sold out .

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Sight says it is sold out .
    Thanks for letting us know, the glitch has been fixed

I'm planning in taking my son up there for the youth comp earlier in the week. What's the camping like around there?

That is a heck of a deal. I'm currently scheming to see if I can make it out that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnRA View Post
    Thanks for letting us know, the glitch has been fixed