Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    I'm planning in taking my son up there for the youth comp earlier in the week. What's the camping like around there?
    The Red Lodge KOA is gorgeous and offering $10 off per night, just mention you are attending Summer Shredfest.

There is so much to ski down there, don't miss the forest for the trees. Lots of big lines and tours not far from laps at the ski area/Gardner Headwall or a camp in Rock Creek.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Any potential for hitch-hiking laps, don't have a touring setup yet

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Any potential for hitch-hiking laps, don't have a touring setup yet
    I don't have touring binders on anything right now. But I'm willing to hike. I think there are a few spots where car shuttling laps are possible too.

Think we'll need reservation? For such an empty part of the country it sure is getting booked up. Peak season things, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnRA View Post
    The Red Lodge KOA is gorgeous and offering $10 off per night, just mention you are attending Summer Shredfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalkor View Post
    I don't have touring binders on anything right now. But I'm willing to hike. I think there are a few spots where car shuttling laps are possible too.
    As Tone Capone wrote above, there are tons of options.

One of the easiest is starting from the top of the highway, skiing the Gardner Headwall, then booting 20 minutes back to the highway a couple miles down.

Here's the Gardner Headwall in June of a very dry year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11537934_10153429659178708_5006003400344356261_o.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	205697

Name:  10418219_10153431661148708_1878540089131248528_n.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  110.9 KB
    Last edited by MtnRA; 05-11-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Question: How viable is camping in a random spot off the road up there?

Camping at the Rock Creek campground is really nice and there is also free dispersed camping just above the actual campgound if you're a dirtbag. I personally wouldn't want to camp up on the beartooth plataeu because temps will be much more pleasant down below. But its mainly public lands in montana, there is plenty of free camping if you look for it, just try to use an already distrubed site and don't create a new fire ring.

There are a ton of tourists that travel the beartooth highway, its part of the yellowstone loop. makes hitch hiking easy. Plus red lodge is very close (by montana standards) to billings, the capital and largest city in MT and close to bozeman.

Agreed (except that the MT capitol is Helena... or did you mean something else?). Camping on the plateau would be chilly and potentially very windy.

Campers, here's the rundown (others correct if I'm wrong)
    KOA is chill, it's downhill of town less than 10 miles.
    West of town there's 2 established camps in west fork of rock creek: cascade and basin. Also plenty of dispersed the higher you go.
    South of town east of main fork of rock creek there are 2 established camps: rattin and Sheridan. No dispursed. These are on east side road.
    Southernmost and closest to pass there are I think 3 established camps in main fork road: m-k, greenough and one more I can't name. These will be on western style "road" the higher you go. Lots of dispursed here also.
    Plateau might be sketch at the time of your comp, as previously noted. Also, down in the canyons you have a much higher black to griz ratio, so if you like to pass out with a half a PBR and a bag of funyons it's nicer. Up high it might be cold, wet, windy, blizzard, with roaming brown bruins who like to eat the emerging buds you pitched your tent in. Not that I've ever had trouble, it's just that's the way it is.
    Hope to make it up to watch everyone huck their meat!

Rad info, thanks

It's coming soon. See yinz there.

Massive cornice hucks coming soon. I've been told it's steep up there, my expectations for this venue are high. Summer rowdyness>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Massive cornice hucks coming soon. I've been told it's steep up there, my expectations for this venue are high. Summer rowdyness>>>>
    We just spoke with BTB's owner and he says the snow pack is deep and skiing is great.

Here's some nice footie of the terrain starting at about :48.

Sweet shredding!

Recap of the weekend from Powder Mag

Found: Skiing's Soul

Curious if the lifts will still be spinning sat. The 22nd? Also, can a guy buy a one run ticket? Passing through and would love to spin a lap.

I think they're done now man.