Thread: DIY Bahamas?

DIY Bahamas?

Greetings.

My wife and I are headed to Eleuthera here in a few weeks for 8 days of glorious boat drinks and some bone fishing. I've been combing the internet and have put together a decent box of flies. So that's nice.

Any experience on the DIY front? Should I get a guide for a day? Any recs?

Any help would be appreciated.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I'm sure you've seen this guy:
    http://diybonefishing.com
    Otherwise, I can't help much, and I would get a guide for at least a day.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Where on Eleuthera?

I would get a guide the first day and pay attention to where they take you. Then you can probably DIY afterwards.

Take the ferry over to Harbor Island, if your staying up north.
    Try the conch salad.
    Too bad you missed crawfish season.

We're staying on Harbor Island apparently.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

It's more touristy, but it's really nice.

The out Islands are great!

I'd say definitely get a guide, at least early on in the trip. I don't know much about Eleuthera but I do know that most spots that can be DIY'd have been and have been pretty hard, even on the quieter islands.

I haven't bone fished in the Bahamas, but I've used a guide and DIY. The thing about a guide is you have someone poling the boat for you and you can stand up high in the bow. Walking flats for bones is tough if there's even the slightest wind. It's sight fishing. Blind fishing for bones is useless- they can't see for shit.

We went to Eleuthera over Christmas. Got a rental car and did the DIY thing. I did a fair bit of research on the diy bonefishing site and was able to get into plenty of fish. Even caught my first bone. I've never been out with a guide, but could see how it would be helpful to be fishing from the bow of a boat. Awesome place. Can't wait to go back.

Pretty stoked to get there. Doing a week of tarpon in Florida first with a friend who is starting a guide service. Pretty much living the dream over the next few weeks.

Strip set.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Strip set.
    Yeah, learned that the first time I went tarpon fishing. Learned it a few times, actually.

will you have a car?

Definitely do a guide at least one day. You will learn a lot, and, unless conditions are horrible, you'll get into many more fish. You can just cover so much more water and spot them more readily on a boat. I love DYI, and am as happy catching 2 bones by myself as 10 with a guide, but the learning curve is greatly accelerated with some assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Pretty stoked to get there. Doing a week of tarpon in Florida first with a friend who is starting a guide service. Pretty much living the dream over the next few weeks.
    Where at in Florida are you headed? I will be heading to Key West for a week to chase the poon a week from today.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Where at in Florida are you headed? I will be heading to Key West for a week to chase the poon a week from today.
    Im on Morada right now. Got into boners and poon today but no great opportunities. Will fun as balls though. Where you at?

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Im on Morada right now. Got into boners and poon today but no great opportunities. Will fun as balls though. Where you at?
    Im packing my bags in Salt Lake at the moment. Headed to Key West to on Wednesday. Good luck down there.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

We hooked up with one Mondo poon yesterday. It slipped the hook but holy shit....

I think you mean she spit it out.

Nice work.