Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    2,843

    Why are some of the pictures missing?

    Recent posts, some of the pictures (or I presume them to be) are just an icon with a jagged break through a picture. It's Kathryn be of new, gave it some time thinking it was an overlord fuck up but it's not going away. What's up!
    ?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,214
    It's because they switched the site to secure, meaning they fucked up years and years worth of trip reports and various threads that embed from external sites. Tried to warn them it wouldn't go smoothly...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,910
    On the mobile platform or all?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    On the mobile platform or all?
    All.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    260
    I explained it in this other thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ag-not-working

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It's because they switched the site to secure, meaning they fucked up years and years worth of trip reports and various threads that embed from external sites. Tried to warn them it wouldn't go smoothly...
    Your comments on adv revenue and ISP privacy were both incorrect.

    If there are a lot of image-heavy trip reports with broken images, I can help with those or come up with some sort of solution.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,216
    Whether or not TahoeJ was correct or incorrect on other issues is irrelevant to the fact that the treatment of external images under the new system is fucking annoying. I do appreciate the fact that passwords are now encrypted, and am no interwebz expert, but plenty of other forums have figured this out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Spudlandia
    Posts
    5,692
    Andrew, just wondering why the whole site has to run on https? Just because people are authenticated?

    Encryption doesn't necessarily make passwords any more secure if they are already being hashed, right?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,259
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    If there are a lot of image-heavy trip reports with broken images, I can help with those or come up with some sort of solution.
    If this thread could be fixed, I would be slightly happier in my pants:

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...14#post1687214

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    2,843
    Doesn't seem to be image heavy. There are new threads with a couple images where I can see on but the other has the weird broken picture thing.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Whether or not TahoeJ was correct or incorrect on other issues is irrelevant to the fact that the treatment of external images under the new system is fucking annoying. I do appreciate the fact that passwords are now encrypted, and am no interwebz expert, but plenty of other forums have figured this out.
    Agree. There are some forum modules that should help; still looking into it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Andrew, just wondering why the whole site has to run on https? Just because people are authenticated?

    Encryption doesn't necessarily make passwords any more secure if they are already being hashed, right?
    Passwords are hashed in storage (in case of a database breech), but not in transit. So before these changes, someone theoretically could be sniffing your network traffic at the time of you logging in to get your unencrypted credentials.

    For the rest of the site, it's not really that important IMO. I don't think many people here care that someone can see what threads they visited, etc. But we are getting caught up in a more broad movement of encrypting all the things. For example, Apple is requiring SSL communication in all apps, including our version of Tapatalk. Google will probably soon follow.

    https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/14/ap...e-end-of-2016/

    So I get that it's annoying. It pisses me off too when other sysadmins claim site-wide SSL is as easy as installing a server certificate - it's not, especially for media sites that embed external content.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    If this thread could be fixed, I would be slightly happier in my pants:

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...14#post1687214
    Ok, I'm a step closer to a solution; found a vBulletin mod that proxies insecure images through our own server.

    However, I don't think it's a perfect fix because it caches the images for a long time, and it looks like your thread is intended to show current weather maps. I'll rewrite some of this to make it better.

    Keep you posted.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    260
    All images should be loading now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,433
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    All images should be loading now.
    Nope.

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...10#post4995710

    For instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Ok thanks, there is this post in that thread that linked to some bad images. Found a common cause and fixed it (might not see it immediately, wait a bit for your browser cache to expire).

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,259
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    All images should be loading now.
    Solid work, thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •