Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jazz Fest 2017

Jazz Fest 2017

I'm late to the game, a friend invited me to come visit and perhaps I will make it happen. However, I'm not going to afford tickets for more than two days at this point.

Stevie Wonder seems like a must, bummer that Snoop Dogg performs at the same time. Anyone else going to be around? Any one else I absolutely should see? For those that have been before, I imagine there is plenty of music to see in local bars/clubs even if I'm not at the festival itself each day?

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

Why is Snoop Dogg playing a jazz festival?

More than half of the lineup are non-jazz acts

No shit, I just looked at the line up.

Hah, it's the jazz and heritage fest. Snoop falls into the heritage category I guess.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Hah, it's the jazz and heritage fest. Snoop falls into the heritage category I guess.
    Like Maroon 5 and Tom Petty.

Sounds like a pretty good line up, especially some of the Cuban acts, but it doesn't seem very "jazzy".

Real deal jazz picks include Kenny Barron, Lee Konitz, Marsalis family members, various Cuban latin jazz ensembles, Abdullah Ibrahim (fka Dollar Brand) and Hugh Masekela, Terence Blanchard, SFJAZZ Collective

SFJAZZ Collective tribute to Miles would be my top choice. Kenny Barron is a top notch post-bop modern jazz pianist. Terence Blanchard is a virtuoso and innovator, IMO a must see/hear but might be a bit too avante garde for some. AFAIK, Lee Konitz (alto) plays sophisticated post-bop and some west coast jazz style. Ibrahim/Masakela play warm South African jazz, cool sound.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 04-12-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Jazz fan Steve? What's you favorite internet stream for jazz? Mine is KCSM out of San Mateo, one of my favorite radio stations ever.

Oh yeah I'm a jazz fan. I played jazz trombone and piano when I was younger. For a couple years I was a proud member of American Federation of Musicians Local 484 (Sun Valley). These days I listen mostly via Pandora: 'Trane, Monk, Miles, early bop (Bird, Diz, Bud), progressive jazz (e.g., Stan Kenton), Mingus, hard bop (e.g., Horace Silver, Jazz Messengers, Lee Morgan, Clifford Brown), Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, modern big band (e.g., Basie, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis), West Coast (especially Art Pepper), Four Freshman (<1965), Stan Getz/Jobim stuff, and many more. I listen alone mostly because most people I know are into the singer/songwriter/strum 3 chords & sing a poem stuff.

I'll try out KCSM. Thanks for the tip.

which weekend are you going OP?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Oh yeah I'm a jazz fan. I played jazz trombone and piano when I was younger. For a couple years I was a proud member of American Federation of Musicians Local 484 (Sun Valley). These days I listen mostly via Pandora: 'Trane, Monk, Miles, early bop (Bird, Diz, Bud), progressive jazz (e.g., Stan Kenton), Mingus, hard bop (e.g., Horace Silver, Jazz Messengers, Lee Morgan, Clifford Brown), Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, modern big band (e.g., Basie, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis), West Coast (especially Art Pepper), Four Freshman (<1965), Stan Getz/Jobim stuff, and many more. I listen alone mostly because most people I know are into the singer/songwriter/strum 3 chords & sing a poem stuff.

I'll try out KCSM. Thanks for the tip.
    You'll love KCSM, I'm listening right now.

General ideas:
    Thursday of second weekend is empty compared to any other day. 'Locals day', so you see groups of school kids and lots of locals who scored tickets through friends/family.
    Get there early, go to Liuzza's for a bloody or beer, great party. Get in line by quarter of. All bags will be 'searched', if you have a bag-chair take it out of the bag. Easy to smuggle in a pint of rum which pairs nicely with the mango freeze.
    I usually start in one of the tents. If the night before was epic, head to the Gospel Tent and you'll be forgiven of your sins.
    Some of the best music will be found just wandering around. Rule #1- never leave great music just because you circled another act on the grids. Stay.
    Be sure to take in someone on the Lagniappe Stage. Stella on tap, real flush toilets, cool and shady. The interview stage is unique too, laughed my ass off w/Robert Earl Keen there one year.
    If you stay on the main streets, it's not a bad walk back to the Quarter. Uber will be your friend, United Cab has always sucked.
    Yes, the shows in the clubs are fkn awesome. Many to most sell out, so plan ahead for those.
    Take the streetcar out to Oak St. Lunch at Commander's Palace is a bargain, as is the Cochon Butcher and the hot case at Rouse's Market in the Quarter...
    This website has a ton of good info.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

I spent a good amount of time in NOLA for work the last few years. Unfortunately, the judge never seems to set hearings near things like Jazz Fest. So while I can't say anything about the music scene, a couple food recs: Cafe du Monde (beignets) will be packed, but there's a Cafe du Monde to go in the Riverwalk with a much shorter line. Commander's Palace is a great experience, but $$$$ and the food isn't that different from many other restaurants in the garden district or the Quarter. Compere Lapin (Poydras at Tchoupitoulas) is an excellent restaurant, as is SoBou. Slightly less expensive but still awesome are Sylvain (far end of the Quarter on Chartres) and Cochon (out towards the WWII museum on Tchoupitoulas). Arnauld's is an institution for the bananas foster, and Bon Ton Cafe is like going back in time (get two or three Rum Ramseys and you'll have a great night, guaranteed). Bourbon House has every single kind of bourbon you can imagine, and the food's pretty good too.

I have an odd affection for the Windsor Court hotel. It's like time stopped in the 1930s (including the wifi speed), but $225/night gets you 800 square feet of glorious hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    which weekend are you going OP?
    I will be in Seattle at the end of the month and can get a cheap flight to MSY on the 29th. I would be in NOLA 4/29-5/8 or 5/9.

Sounds like a fun trip ! Lots of really good music to pick from.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

If you can 'take' an accordion, try to catch BeauSoleil and Doopsie Jr.

Jr plays a washboard. Plays the livin shit out of a washboard and fronts a big loud zydeco review full of badassed musicians. Good Rockin' Doopsie Sr played an accordion and created a monster club band you'll have to see to believe. His son has built on that and packs houses wherever he goes.

BeauSoleil is fronted by fiddle virtuoso Michael Doucet and his Cajun flat-picking brother, David. They are about as progressive and experimental as Cajun music gets, and they are about as tight a crew as you can find anywhere.

NOJ&HF draws a lot of musicians, so little towns and cities close by like to time their music festies to coincide so they can hire acts a little cheaper and collect a little more tourist $$. Don't overlook. The food and music might turn out to be the best of the trip!

Jealous. I'd take a muffuletta from Napoleon House and anything from Coop's about right now.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

They still sell the crawfish bread? That stuff kept me charging hard on many a sunny and drunken jazz fest day.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Jealous. I'd take a muffuletta from Napoleon House and anything from Coop's about right now.
    Mmmmm, Coop's.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

Stevie Wonder seems like a must, bummer that Snoop Dogg performs at the same time. Anyone else going to be around? Any one else I absolutely should see?

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/
    Go see Stevie, he is phenomenal and when artists reach his age they may tap out at any time and you missed your chance.

Snoop will be around for awhile, the way he smokes weed he will age like Willie Nelson.

Other good acts all depends on who you want to see, personally I go with the old farts that I haven't seen before mixed in with just walking around and seeing what catches my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    They still sell the crawfish bread? That stuff kept me charging hard on many a sunny and drunken jazz fest day.
    There would be a minor revolt if they stopped selling crawfish bread. Last year's new finds were the yaka mein beef soup [hangover cure] and the japanese rib eye beef poboy. Year before I found the yogurt with couscous, pineapple and coconut, quite refreshing.

Here are the 'grids', showing all the shows in the clubs. IAC on Monday between is awesome, and the Patry [misspelled the first year and continued ever since] is a really fun party benefitting the Threadhead Cultural Foundation, which is cool as the Threadheads all met on the JazzFest message board, so it's kinda like the JazzFest maggot party.

I just figured out free flights to Baton Rouge and tickets to 2018. Will probably have a house in New Orleans for a few nights.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

nice!!

That's a big score.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

VooDoo Dead
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.