Buckling Touring Boots Correctly

Backcountry novice here (I do have an avy 1 so some common sense), and I'm trying to get my gear dialed.
    I'm touring on Scarpa Freedom 120s, which have a powerstrap, 2 top buckles, and 2 lower buckles.
    For similar Freeride AT boots, how does everyone tighten the buckles?

I've been doing buckling to the second rung and using the power strap, but I feel it could be a lot better.
    Any better ideas to experiment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Rule#1 - Boots should be worn with buckles facing the front.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    Backcountry novice here (I do have an avy 1 so some common sense), and I'm trying to get my gear dialed.
    I'm touring on Scarpa Freedom 120s, which have a powerstrap, 2 top buckles, and 2 lower buckles.
    For similar Freeride AT boots, how does everyone tighten the buckles?

I've been doing buckling to the second rung and using the power strap, but I feel it could be a lot better.
    Any better ideas to experiment?
    Unbuckle the top two and undo power strap.

Keep lower two buckled.

Not really that complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You wana make sure you got them on the right feet so put an L and R on the boot toe with a felt pen

but seriously IME for touring up if the foot moves around you gona git blisters so I do the lower buckles up fairly snug and leave the top buckles & powerstrap very loose

for going down tighten the buckles up till they hurt and back off a rung
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Not really that complicated.
    Perfect. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Your boots are useless unless you have custom skis

PNWbrit and XXX-er pretty much covered it, but you might want to be sure the heel gets back into the heel pocket before snugging up the lower buckles. You can kick your heel on the ground hard after you put the boot on (if you have a hard surface available) or buckle the upper ones first (and then unbuckle for touring).
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-11-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarity
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

ya ^^ do up the top buckle or pwrstrap and lever your foot backwards into the heel pocket

eh, I don't think there is a "right" way to buckle boots for touring. All I know is that on every hut trip I go on, lots of people have blisters, and are constantly trying to dial their boots in. What works for one doesn't work for another.

FWIW, I skin with boots completely unbuckled (as in none), and I don't get blisters. YMMV.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^Agreed.

Case in point, no blisters for me going the total opposite direction: tight shell fit with an instep buckle buckled tightly. Not sure I could avoid blisters without an instep buckle.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I go for a pretty tight shell fit and lower buckles snug enough for the ski down, YMMV of course

I think besides boots that don't fit some of the people you meet in huts just don't venture out of the cube more than a couple of weeks a year so thy never get boots dialed, the muscles and skin of their feet are never really in shape

Do them up together with duct tape to reduce the risk of pre-release on your monoski.