Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any beta on Leki touring poles? Other options?

Need a new set of adjustable poles for spring season. Got a proform on Leki but want to make sure they don't suck before pulling the trigger. Have a form on a few others but not BD. Besides BD what are other proven, durable performers?

I have a pair that I've been using the past few seasons... the ulatralite or something? They're fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Leki makes fine stuff. I have a pair of their carbon fixed length poles. Used them until the metal tips fell out.

If they are the ones with the little holes in the shaft for adjustment, they whistle like crazy on windy days.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The Lekis that adjust via external clamps are fine

I used to have Leki poles a while back. I had issues with them collapsing. I'm not a fan of the twist lock mechanism they used to use. I don't know if it the same now though. I switched to BD poles

Unless adjustability is a must have feature, I would get these- http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...500001051.html

AW, maybe you missed this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Need a new set of adjustable poles for spring season.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    The Lekis that adjust via external clamps are fine
    This.

Those older style twist-locks suck balls.

AW, maybe you missed this:
    Yes Steve, I did see that. That's why I posted what I did. Most people don't need adjustable poles unless they have a ski mountaineering objective. Those one piece poles with the extended grip will suit most spring ski touring that does't require putting your poles on your pack and booting up with crampons and an ice axe. Even with the BD adjustable poles that I have I never adjust them while touring, I just choke up on them with that funky rubber sleeve below the grip.

Leki stuff is legit. +1 on the BD Expedition 1s though... I gave up using adjustables in favor of them, they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Yes Steve, I did see that. That's why I posted what I did. Most people don't need adjustable poles unless they have a ski mountaineering objective.
    I won't get into the overly broad use of the term "need." Adjustable poles are superior for double poling low angle exits, long sidehill traverses (one short, one long), skating across frozen lakes and fishscaling. Nords get the value of adjustable poles. Some alpine skiers (e.g., Lou) are unable and/or unwilling to acknowledge the benefits of adjustable poles. Anyway, OP is looking for adjustable poles.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 04-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Hmmmmmm, the gear whore in me wants those Aergonlite 2 Carbons to replace my perfectly fine but old, BD carbon flicklocks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

What steve sez^^ and I could add that as a blogger Lou is doing his advertisers a disservice ...nuff said

IME full aluminium ski poles be they 1 piece 2 piece or 3 piece all bend and eventualy break but the BD flicklock or razor or WTF do not, I think its cuz the aluminium part is so short and of the diameter that it doesnt bend the carbon part does but it springs back, I have done all kinds of things to BD flicklocks including using them in bounds, they are still in one piece, and if anything breaks I can buy parts

I bought GF some 2piece aluminium Leki on close out with baskettes that easily lock on by rotating 90 degrees, which means they easily rotate on pole plants and get lost ...going to glue them on
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hmmmmmm, the gear whore in me wants those Aergonlite 2 Carbons to replace my perfectly fine but old, BD carbon flicklocks.
    Yeah I have had the same^^ feelings, so consider they are old ... cuz they didnt break

^^^ I know. I have the probe ones and my wife has the non-probe ones. super bomber. I just bought my daughter the new probe ones, and my wife sliced it on her first day with them, so they are a little less bomber, being more hollow. Anyway, in a day, BD sent out the broken part, for free, and I told them it was our fault.

Bd is a good company.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I won't get into the overly broad use of the term "need." Adjustable poles are superior for double poling low angle exits, long sidehill traverses (one short, one long), skating across frozen lakes and fishscaling. Nords get the value of adjustable poles. Some alpine skiers (e.g., Lou) seem unable and/or unwilling to acknowledge the benefits of adjustable poles. Anyway, OP is looking for adjustable poles.
    Double poling long exits- I know you're familiar with "caning" your ski pole and the use of straps

Long side hill traverses- Choke up and use that extended grip, that's why it's there.

Skating and fishscaling- See double poling long exits above.

I get that longer poles are great for "nordic" aspects of ski touring but the simplicity and durability of a one piece aluminum pole, like Scott series 4 aluminum or equivalent with an extended grip is hard to beat. As for durability, I have some Series 4 poles with hundreds of days ski touring and lift served skiing and they're like new except for scratches.

I came across that sale on those BD Expedition 1 poles and thought $40 was a screaming good deal for a pole that will last a lifetime.

The Al alloy top shafts of BD adjustable poles is hard stuff (7075?) but the bottom Al alloy shafts (BD Traverse) are softer and do bend. When the lower shafts bend to the extent that they won't fully retract, I replace them per BD spare parts for $13 each. If the top section ever breaks I'll get BD Razors. No rush. BD Traverse poles have worked fine for years.

Double poling long exits- I know you're familiar with "caning" your ski pole and the use of straps
    Straps are essential for proper Nordic-style double pole technique, i.e., lightly pinching pole grip between thumb and index finger, using strap for propulsion.

Long side hill traverses- Choke up and use that extended grip, that's why it's there.
    Uh, yeah, I know that. Sometimes it's better to use straps on a long traverse.

Skating and fishscaling- See double poling long exits above.
    Fully extended pole (155cm for me) while using XC strap technique works much better.

I get that longer poles are great for "nordic" aspects of ski touring., . . .
    Backpedal from your prior declaration re adjustable poles good only for ski mountaineering routes? IME, the benefits of adjustable poles are evident on most spring tours and many mid-winter tours (e.g., exiting Tronsen tours or Kendall Trees).

Use what you want. OP wants adjustable poles.

ETA: More adjustable pole benefits:
    -- probing crevasses in full extension mode
    -- use as center pole for lightweight 'mid tent
    -- shorten for steeper ski tracks, lengthen for lower angle ski tracks
    -- shorten for strapping on pack when using ice axe
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 04-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.

I'm a big fan of the Bluebird. If you don't like the Trigger strap system, the Aergons are nice.

Edit: my normal pole length is 110cm @5'10" and I use them for short touring laps all the time. Grab on the shaft to make them shorter, put your hand on top of the grip to make them taller, and they're usually lighter and less prone to break or fail. I usually only use my adjustable poles for longer missions and even then, rarely adjust them unless dealing with long flat sections. Maybe I'm lazy.
    Last edited by hop; 04-10-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Backpedal from your prior declaration re adjustable poles good only for ski mountaineering routes? IME, the benefits of adjustable poles are evident on most spring tours and many mid-winter tours (e.g., exiting Tronsen tours or Kendall Trees).

Use what you want. OP wants adjustable poles.
    Actually I didn't say they were only good for ski mountaineering, I said they weren't a necessity for general ski touring. OP will get what he wants, I just thought I would offer up a great ski touring option at a fantastic price.

adjustable poles can be a waste of money but only if you don't adjust them

it only takes 5 seconds a pole while you are on the move

I ski with 110cm poles @ 5' 10"... skinning with poles that short would be the major suck...

I, like many, don't understand fixed length poles for ski touring.

Any beta on Leki touring poles? Other options?

well some of us can ski downhill with adult size poles

(I keed I keed)

the skimo'er in me has been converted to using fixed length XC poles 5-10cm longer than what I would use for alpine. Extra length helps with skating and approaches. Can always choke up on the descent. Low profile grips and straps are easy to plunge into harder snow at transitions. Assymetric basket doesn't get in the way when poling on hard snow/steep traverses