Opinions: Resort options for entire season in SA

Need to make plans soon, can't wait for the official thread.
    Looking to spend several months in one location close to lift-served in South America.

I'm curious about La Hoya/Esquel but I am completely uninformed.

Want to be able to purchase a season pass and go at will.
    I'm not too picky with criteria but I do not want to be much more than 15 miles from bed to parking lot, and I would like it to be affordable since it's several months on my own. Backcountry access is somewhat important (bringing a splitboard), but I am mainly a resort rider, truth be told.

Good, consistent snow is what I seek - my only previous trip to SA made me a skeptic on that last point (but I was only able to go to Pucon and Nevados de Chillan).

I tend to shy away from A-List areas wherever I go - I really enjoy mom & pop hills, so no suggestions for Las Lenas or Portillo, e.g. Thanks in advance.

I liked Caviahue. BC options and the village is right there. Main drawback I saw is that there isn't a real grocery store nearby.

Penitentes was good for snow but not sure what the living arrangements would be like.

Have you looked at San Martin?

La Hoya seemed like it had potential but I never got to ski more than the lower two lifts because the wind screamed the whole time I was there. Esquel had its moments but did not have the charm like Villa Langostura or San Martin. Cheap for sure though.

Cerry Bayo was OK but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    I liked Caviahue. BC options and the village is right there. Main drawback I saw is that there isn't a real grocery store nearby.

Penitentes was good for snow but not sure what the living arrangements would be like.

Have you looked at San Martin?

La Hoya seemed like it had potential but I never got to ski more than the lower two lifts because the wind screamed the whole time I was there. Esquel had its moments but did not have the charm like Villa Langostura or San Martin. Cheap for sure though.

Cerry Bayo was OK but not great.
    Took me a moment to equate San Martin with Chapelco. I had heard of it but it was off my radar - now it's on, thanks for that and the reply, CC.

Caviahue

Name:  1935827_1203568930517_4949282_n.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  1935827_1203568770513_4253732_n.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  73.9 KB

Penitentes

Name:  1935827_1203104438905_7227564_n.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  49.2 KB

Thanks cloud cult
    been off the webs for a while and missed this reply
    Caviahue...

San Martin - Chapelco

La Hoya / Esquel is probably my second favorite place in SA, mainly do to the price/off-radar/terrain.

Here is stuff from my last trip back in...

2008: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2008...n-adventure-3/
    2010: https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010...aug-1-sept-10/
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Not much around there, but great if the snow is good.

Proper town with a vibe, San Martin de Los Andes and Villa Langostura as previously mentioned. Pucon and Las Trancas are also cool. That being said, if I wanted to stay one season, I would probably choose Termas de Chilan.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Thank you for those posts MadPatSki - super fun read and nice streak!

La Hoya has great terrain, but it was poor snow when I went in 2014, Caviahue (same year) was better snow (higher), but limited terrain and lifts, unless you had touring gear.

I would advise first going to Bariloche, then get a place near the bus station! from there you can decide where you want to travel, south to Esquel, north to Chapelco, west to Chile eg Temuco or Puerto Montt or further to Caviahue depending on the snow conditions and you've still got Catedral an hour down the road.