Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

a straight ski construction

So I started this thread a while ago https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Y-straight-ski and I kept asking a few questions to skiers, to instructors, to ski bums, to ski reps, to ski tuners. Just about everyone thought it was a stupid idea, including me, but no one had a full idea as to WHY it was a stupid idea. So I talked to http://thetuneshop.ca/ in banff and we agreed to turn my volkl sanuks into a straight ski

They where 130/110/120 in 193, I had already rockered them, and liked the way they ski. So the tune shop needed to remove the edges, cut them to a even 100/100/100 and re-edge them, and re-base them. Easy, right?

3 weeks later, I had the skis, and today was day 1 on them. The ski was less strange then I expected (less strange then a 160 ski with a sub 15m turn radius), light swing weight (less tip material) and overall easy to ski. Still need a bit more time on it, but overall WAY less strange then expected.

Very minimal ankle pressure (forward and back is needed) and its ALL based on a skid/pivot turn
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

Sick. I remember the OG thread. I kinda always wondered about straight skis too.

IIRC, I thought Carpathian tried this at some point when he was making skis.

Edit. Just reread the original thread.

Aside from Carpathian doing it... can't believe I remembered stupid details like that, but I can't find my car keys... I like Gone Skiing's idea of adding a gradual spoon or concave to the ski.

That would make a rockered straight ski with concave/spoon toward tip and tail, which might actually carve if rolled on edge, would pivot, smear and McConkey like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Cool! Wouldn't have expected them to work so well.

Cool experiment.

We Nords have skied lots of miles on straight skis (e.g., 44/44/44)

Need moar clamps!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Love this! It's pretty cool you found a shop that would do that for you. Surprising!
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

That's pretty pro edge and base work!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Skis are in banff, if anyone wants to try them. Salomon demo bindings, DIN 12.

tuneshop also cuts splitboards too.

How'd they perform on groomers?

How would you describe the "turning radius" - or must one skid all turns?

I'd really like to try something like this in the bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    I'd really like to try something like this in the bumps.
    Not a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    How'd they perform on groomers?

How would you describe the "turning radius" - or must one skid all turns?
    mostly pivot / skid. The ski WILL bend (very soft) so if you get it to start bending, the bend of the ski makes some of the "sidecut" and will come around.

Very cool.

The carpathians mentioned earlier were straight, but wider in the tip than in the tail. A pure pintail, really.

I love "straight" skis, but I'm pretty sure there's a diminishing return on investment as you approach a truly straight sidecut, and I have some protos to more or less prove it.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Very cool.

The carpathians mentioned earlier were straight, but wider in the tip than in the tail. A pure pintail, really.

I love "straight" skis, but I'm pretty sure there's a diminishing return on investment as you approach a truly straight sidecut, and I have some protos to more or less prove it.
    ..... Can I buy one of them to see myself?

And I vaguely recall talk about an igneous TTT model that was a pure pintail a long time ago. Never saw a ski or a picture, just read about it on here

Very cool thread and project. Crazy base work from that shop.

Wow, good shop.

Cool that you followed through on this. So even with the rocker, they don't really respond to being on edge? ...or is it just that the turns would be huge?

they respond, but starting the turn takes more input. Then as the bending of the ski starts, it is a BIT faster to come around. But still not fast.

I've only skied them 90 min a few mornings ago, I'll get more time in soon and report back, or if anyone else wants to ski them, message me

Oh god, that's badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Oh god, that's badass.
    Agree, rad on all counts.

Hmm, interesting shop work, though I admit to having zero interest in riding that particular ski.

You were confined to straight cuts because the shop used a table saw? This opens my mind to wonder about a similar effort except with a jigged (or computerized) router following a new sidecut profile. Modernize the sidecut of a bomber older metal ski. Still a lot of work.

I could have picked any shape/sidecut, but I wanted to see what removing sidecut would do.

I like skis that have a 30ishm turn shape, (hoji, sanouk, 108 Z g, boomerange)

a "turn" is created bu both the skis sidecut, and by flexing the ski into a rockered shape. So eliminating one of the variables lets you see what just the other one does.

Ok, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    ..... Can I buy one of them to see myself?

And I vaguely recall talk about an igneous TTT model that was a pure pintail a long time ago. Never saw a ski or a picture, just read about it on here

Very cool thread and project. Crazy base work from that shop.
    Old Pontoon esque?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    a "turn" is created bu both the skis sidecut, and by flexing the ski into a rockered shape. So eliminating one of the variables lets you see what just the other one does.
    Steel I-beam ski with sidecut to eliminate the other variable?

It'd be interesting to see how changing the mount point changes the turning characteristics. Obviously, it'll affect fore-aft balance, but there's no sidecut so you're not worried about being in the center of the radius.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    It'd be interesting to see how changing the mount point changes the turning characteristics. Obviously, it'll affect fore-aft balance, but there's no sidecut so you're not worried about being in the center of the radius.
    More flex dependent - what happens when you apply pressure and angulation...