Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Intrawest bought by another ski resort operator!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-in...KBN17C03Z?il=0

Intrawest Resorts Holdings Inc ... will announce its sale on Monday to a ski resort operator backed by buyout firm KSL Capital Partners LLC... KSL is backing a ski resort operator whose identity could not immediately be learned.
    PowderCorp? Or Vail Resorts?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

KSL operates Squaw Valley currently

My money is on Powdr Corp. From the CO perspective that would put Steamboat, WP, Copper, and Eldora all under one corporate roof.

Powder Corp makes the most sense. Can't see any reason for Mtn to do an acquisition using someone else for "cover".

Neither, Aspen and KSL partners (private equity) are buying Intrawest.

BOYNE !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Wow! I guess none of us know what this means but...is the Roaring Fork Valley now officially part of the Front Range? Will my RMSP+ included days at Squaw? Are my friends that work for Intrawest Corporate in Broomfield gonna be standing in the long and smelly.

Sorry Steamboat skiers... get ready for KSL to fuck up your resort. It'll seem fine at first, but just wait.

Steamboat is an A+ storm riding resort, I think they'll be just fine. Unless KSL turns them into a windy above treeline resort where you have to take parking shuttles from Rabbit Ears...

The Front Range is coming to Aspen!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sorry Steamboat skiers... get ready for KSL to fuck up your resort. It'll seem fine at first, but just wait.
    It can not be worse than intrawest; they only care about real estate, rollercosters and put put golf. I welcome the change. fuck you intrawest.
    believe me its real.

Hahaha... just wait. Just wait until they try to save money by firing all of the experienced lift mechanics and people who know the nuances of the resort. Then when lifts don't run like usual they'll start making excuses. Give it time.

Your only hope is that Aspen will be the more hands on owners of the two.

Seems like folks really like how KSL is running Squaw and Alpine... Bend over Jane :-(

If 700" of snow comes with KSL, sign me up!

I'm already looking forward to 6 days at Aspen/Snowmass on my RMSP+.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    If 700" of snow comes with KSL, sign me up!
    Seems like what comes with KSL is massive and unsustainable real estate development, soul-crushing lift lines and traffic, complete obliteration of the uniqueness of your mountain and community, complete disregard for members of the local community, amusement and water parks, passholder bans for public comments critical of the corporation, no focus on the skiing experience and generally the Vail-ification of everything. I guess Vail's success shows their are plenty of folks who really like that kinda thing and it makes lots of $$, but count me in the camp that sees it crushing the soul of skiing and the opposite of the experience I seek. Intrawest was certainly no gem in regard to any of this, but if you are familiar with Squaw's experience with KSL over the past few years and how KSL does business (and if you're not, you may want to look into this), it's hard not to be absolutely frightened by KSL's involvement because it certainly can be much, much worse that Intrawest.

I'll put it this way: Alpine Meadows is hands down my favorite mountain in Tahoe. I love Squaw too. And yet I'm not renewing my pass for next year and already bought a pass at Sugar Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Seems like what comes with KSL is massive and unsustainable real estate development, soul-crushing lift lines and traffic, complete obliteration of the uniqueness of your mountain and community, complete disregard for members of the local community, amusement and water parks, passholder bans for public comments critical of the corporation, no focus on the skiing experience and generally the Vail-ification of everything. I guess Vail's success shows their are plenty of folks who really like that kinda thing and it makes lots of $$, but count me in the camp that sees it crushing the soul of skiing and the opposite of the experience I seek. Intrawest was certainly no gem in regard to any of this, but if you are familiar with Squaw's experience with KSL over the past few years and how KSL does business (and if you're not, you may want to look into this), it's hard not to be absolutely frightened by KSL's involvement because it certainly can be much, much worse that Intrawest.
    They going to remove cowboy hats and western flair to Steamboat? That would kill the vibe & uniqueness.
    Yes, I've occasionally checked in on the KSL bitch thread. Some of it is justified, some of it is just whining.
    I also could care less about water parks and the Vail-ification of things as well, I just want good snow, interesting terrain and minimal barriers to access (parking & blackout data PITA).
    It will be interesting to see how this effects the multi mountain passes. Perhaps Copper, CB & Eldora are off the pass in 18/19, Aspen & Squaw days are available, Steamboat days expanded, etc. I think my opinion of the deal will largely hinge on how this effects the overall experience at the current RMSP+ mountains.

Well they certainly can't make it any flatter.

Kidding aside, I think Steamboat is far enough from Denver that it won't suffer the same effects that Squaw/Alpine has.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'll put it this way: Alpine Meadows is hands down my favorite mountain in Tahoe. I love Squaw too. And yet I'm not renewing my pass for next year and already bought a pass at Sugar Bowl.
    Sugar Bowl looks rad TahoeJ, I think if I were living in your area it might be my choice as well. The terrain sure looks fun and the BC access from what I understand is awesome.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoop View Post
    It can not be worse than intrawest; they only care about real estate, rollercosters and put put golf. I welcome the change. fuck you intrawest.
    I think that trend is going to be picking up momentum across the whole ski resort industry with more and more unreliable winters.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I also could care less about water parks and the Vail-ification of things
    ^no doubt, a pervasive attitude in the gentrified front range.

KSL has deep ties and property interests in Vail and was founded by the former CEO of Vail Resorts. What we're seeing is a take over of the ski industry by Vail and KSL. Whether we consider Aspen Ski Co. independent depends on how closely you follow the legalese...

Edited to add: this is not a skiing or winter play. Literally zero humans expect anyone to make money while operating ski resorts in the winter 40 years from now. I would not expect this to improve the skier's experience.

This is a SUMMER + REAL ESTATE play.

Vail Resorts:

Colorado: Vail Ski Resort, Beaver Creek Resort, Keystone Resort, and Breckenridge Ski Resort. (Edit to add Abasin which is officially unofficially owned by Vail.)
    Lake Tahoe: Heavenly Mountain Resort, Kirkwood Mountain Resort, Northstar California
    Utah: Park City Mountain Resort in Park City
    Vermont: Stowe Mountain Resort
    Minnesota: Afton Alps
    Michigan: Mount Brighton
    Wisconsin: Wilmot Mountain
    New South Wales, Australia: Perisher Ski Resort
    British Columbia: Whistler Blackcomb

KSL "officially" owns:

Squaw / Alpine / Whitewolf

KSL + Aspen Ski Co now own Intrawest which includes:

Ontario: Blue Mountain
    West Virginia: Snowshoe
    Colorado: Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation, Winter Park Resort
    Vermont: Stratton
    Quebec: Tremblant
    Colorado: Winter Park Resort

Well, that escalated quickly.

Interesting moves. I always was hoping to have some sort of pass reciprocity at Snowshoe
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

As long as they don't ruin the RMSP+ pass, I'll be okay. I am worried though.