Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    While I get why you would want that (I might too), I can't see them putting in a lift that you must hike to. Ok, technically, you don't hike to the lift, you'd hike the cirque and ski down to the lift, but still, can't see that happening.
    Sounds like a worth while investment for sure.

I imagine that area costs a lot to keep mitigated, safe and open. From a marketing standpoint it probably gets hard to justify keeping it open when the numbers of users aren't really there.

At least with a lift you would have regular skier compaction, more users in the area showing the areas value and you could do laps on something other than mogul runs and besides, isn't Berthoud Pass just up the road if you prefer hiking? Seems like a win win and it makes a visit to WP sound a lot more appealing to someone like me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

They should run a lift from near the base of the Pioneer lift to somewhere on the ridge top of the cirque. That would open all these trees down into the drainage. It would give people an easier hike to the steep stuff and a single lift ride back up (although still some effort with the long flat run out in the drainage)

Fuck all this cirque lift nonsense, when does the WP-Aspen interconnect tram open?

I'll ask again, but does anybody have a link to any WP master plan?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    I'll ask again, but does anybody have a link to any WP master plan?
    What are you, Google illiterate? jeeze, lazy too

nothing new to see here.....
    http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...LT1_015583.pdf
    http://www.skyhinews.com/news/winter...ort-not-grade/
    http://www.wpgov.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/127

something interesting here.....
    https://skimap.org/data/503/7/1213211060.jpg

That master plan is pretty outdated, looks like all the improvements have already been made.

Found this interesting:
    Expansion into Zero Creek was considered to address potential boundary management issues that could
    result from the implementation of the Parsenn Express chairlift. While the area could be lift-served by the
    proposed Parsenn Express lift, the Forest Service determined that it was not necessary to expand the permit
    boundary at this time. If at some future date it is determined that the current boundary management plan is
    no longer effective, adjustments to the plan would be made and/or this alternative could be analyzed in
    detail.

Funny chairlift map. 6 lifts on Vasquez? Just add a mid-way on Pioneer and build a single lift from the Stagecoach and big Valley intersection that runs SW to the top of the ridge. Close hiking to the Cirque from Pano and make everyone hike from the top of Vasquez. Much more sheltered and a little shorter.

YMMV, but I'm far more intrigue by expansion opportunities at Steamboat. The "golf course" next to Pioneer ridge has been talked about for years and the SUP already includes some of upper Fish Creek Canyon (that's a pipe dream).
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 04-20-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    YMMV, but I'm far more intrigue by expansion opportunities at Steamboat. The "golf course" next to Pioneer ridge has been talked about for years and the SUP already includes some of upper Fish Creek Canyon (that's a pipe dream).
    Hitch hikers on BC road keeps Steamboat family friendly.

Found a good copy of the WP master plan:

Highlights are Zephyr -> Sunspot -> Lunch Rock chondola, mid load on Pioneer, new lift on Vasquez Mtn north of Cirque, upgraded Looking Glass, Gemini and Sunnyside chairs

Steamboat master plan:

Highlights are Bashor Bowl gondola, new Pioneer Ridge trail pod, expanded trails and new pod by Sunshine, upgraded Thunderhead and South Peak chairs

Cool.

Doesn't include the gondola from town to the resort, wonder if that's in a different plan, has been scrapped, or what.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think the WP town-resort gondola is in the town plan.

gotcha. That gondola makes me want to buy my soon-to-be ex-landlord's place, because it's a stone's throw from the parking garage. But I don't have the $$$.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

gotcha. That gondola makes me want to buy my soon-to-be ex-landlord's place, because it's a stone's throw from the parking garage. But I don't have the $$$.
    Time to double those billable hours, get litigious, and double down.

I mean, you haven't paid off that whole remodel and vehicle purchase already
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Time to double those billable hours, get litigious, and double down.

I mean, you haven't paid off that whole remodel and vehicle purchase already
    and get a new job, I guess. because the gubmint salary ain't gonna cover that.

I know they've talked about it, but I don't get why they'd spend the $$ to replace the looking glass.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Found a good copy of the WP master plan:

Highlights are Zephyr -> Sunspot -> Lunch Rock chondola, mid load on Pioneer, new lift on Vasquez Mtn north of Cirque, upgraded Looking Glass, Gemini and Sunnyside chairs

Steamboat master plan:

Highlights are Bashor Bowl gondola, new Pioneer Ridge trail pod, expanded trails and new pod by Sunshine, upgraded Thunderhead and South Peak chairs

Jesus Christ both of those mountains must have the most inconvenient layouts of anywhere in Colorado. Winter park especially is a clusterfuck

Yes, it sucks, don't come here.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    I know they've talked about it, but I don't get why they'd spend the $$ to replace the looking glass.
    And lose the distinction of the oldest operating lift in the state? Sad.

Yes, it sucks, don't come here.
    Haha I like winter park and have had dope days there !!

I just think the layout is bizarre

Eh, it doesn't seem odd to me. It's not as straightforward as a place like Breck, but it's not all that hard to figure out. I do agree re steamboat, looking at the trail map does not explain that mountain at all.

WP certainly suffers from more sideways riding than I would prefer, does that make it inconvenient? I don't think Steamboat is at all. It's a very narrow mountain near the base, once you get to the top of gondola, it all spreads out quickly. All the lifts give you great vertical with minimal traversing.

If you want to talk about inconvenient, go to Canyons. Transfer lifts, gondolas that serve few runs, chairlifts through Mcmansion yards , now that place is a PITA to navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I think the WP town-resort gondola is in the town plan.
    and since this would involve some funding by the town, it happening is sort of more complicated.

Pleased to see a mid load on Pioneer Express on the Master Plan. Gawd that runout is awful.

Worst spot on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Pleased to see a mid load on Pioneer Express on the Master Plan. Gawd that runout is awful.
    Should have been a mid station there from day 1 ... regardless of the plans back in the day to put a village there, it still would make it ski better

Intrawest bought by another ski resort operator!

Details from Intrawest's SEC filing:

As a publicly-traded company, Intrawest was required to file a report with the Securities Exchange Commission on its sale to the Aspen Skiing Co. and KSL Capital Partners. The 273-page document revealed there were 173 potential buyers for Intrawest, including 63 financial firms and 51 "high net worth individuals." The Aspen Skiing Co. originally only wanted Winter Park, Steamboat and the heli-skiing operation, Canadian Mountain Holidays. Intrawest wanted to sell the entire company and that required the Skico to partner with KSL to complete the deal.