Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    It's going to reach the point that $2200 in passes will allow you to ski anywhere.
    A little over a thousand gets you more than you can ski.

Stop bitching about the new dark overlords and just find a mountain that doesn't play this game. What, are you going write to the CEO of Vail and these other corporations and tell them that they're doing something wrong? Please. Look at the lift lines, the RE sales, the summer biz. People, not you and me, but, most people love that shit. They sit in their cubes fantasizing about their week at Breck slaying courdoroy and drinking too much, and talk about it for months. Forget it, they won. Ski elsewhere.

Tell me more about these "lift lines" you mention.... I can't think of a time I waited for more than about 30 seconds this whole winter....

Aspen is many pretty pennies but does really know how to run a resort that locals and affluent tourists can enjoy. Hopefully they will manage the new resorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    Hopefully they will manage the new resorts.
    That's not going to be the case. Aspen Skico website has a FAQ that says the current Intrawest management will remain in place.

https://www.aspensnowmass.com/inside...etter-together

Aspen Snowmass is remaining privately held by the Crowns; It will not be folded into the KSL/ASC holdings. The unnamed partnership is it's own entity and will have it's own management team.

Don't expect a pass that includes Aspen Snowmass/Steamboat/etc anytime soon, but something is in the pipeline. The deal was to extend ASC's $$ reach, not to increase skier days here.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    Here's a good analysis of the deal by the Denver Post's Jason Blevins.

Aspen Skiing, KSL Capital promise investment, development in Intrawest resorts

Take note of this little mention at the end. "An insider said another deal is cooking, but KSL and Aspen Skiing representatives declined to discuss future expansion plans."

Anyone care to guess what is cooking? My prediction is Mt Rose and/or some kind of merger with Mammoth and its 4 ski areas.
    Not sure if Rose makes sense, don't see what added value is there, unless there are real estate opportunities that I am unaware of (or maybe they want to run a 5000' water slide all the way down to Reno). Wouldn't mind having Rose on my pass, though I would guess the Rose pass holders will feel like we did at Alpine when Squaw invaded us. I've heard some Mammoth rumors, though not from anyone who I think would actually have any inside info, but I would much prefer Mammoth take over Squawpine than the other way around.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Stop bitching about the new dark overlords and just find a mountain that doesn't play this game. What, are you going write to the CEO of Vail and these other corporations and tell them that they're doing something wrong? Please. Look at the lift lines, the RE sales, the summer biz. People, not you and me, but, most people love that shit. They sit in their cubes fantasizing about their week at Breck slaying courdoroy and drinking too much, and talk about it for months. Forget it, they won. Ski elsewhere.
    You think people really love that shit, or do they just think they do because it's rammed down their throats? That's like saying Budweiser is the best beer, or Taylor Swift is the greatest singer, or whatever other analogy you want to make. Shit, I'm waiting until the next time I see Andy Wirth so that I can ask him to meet up for some runs and see firsthand how shitty his resort is run. As far as I or anyone else knows, unless he's been undercover (which is a possibility), Andy doesn't ski Squaw or Alpine, despite claiming to be a skier. Probably the same for Vail CEO.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    You think people really love that shit, or do they just think they do because it's rammed down their throats? That's like saying Budweiser is the best beer, or Taylor Swift is the greatest singer, or whatever other analogy you want to make. Shit, I'm waiting until the next time I see Andy Wirth so that I can ask him to meet up for some runs and see firsthand how shitty his resort is run. As far as I or anyone else knows, unless he's been undercover (which is a possibility), Andy doesn't ski Squaw or Alpine, despite claiming to be a skier. Probably the same for Vail CEO.
    So, you're telling me that the masses who spend big bucks to be part of the Vail Inc. Mountains shit show are being forced into that? Really?
    Dude, they love it. Just like they love Disney product and Sandals beach resorts.

The McSki experience? Fuck.....I'm luvin it!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Not sure if Rose makes sense, don't see what added value is there, unless there are real estate opportunities that I am unaware of (or maybe they want to run a 5000' water slide all the way down to Reno). Wouldn't mind having Rose on my pass, though I would guess the Rose pass holders will feel like we did at Alpine when Squaw invaded us. I've heard some Mammoth rumors, though not from anyone who I think would actually have any inside info, but I would much prefer Mammoth take over Squawpine than the other way around.
    Rose has development rights for a small area, but not on the order of KSL/Aspen stuff. I've really been wanting Rose to combine with Sugar Bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Isn't this--almost word for word--what KSL promised when they came into Squaw? How's that promise held up?

“Intrawest is a collection of remarkable properties in exceptional locations. Each has its own unique story and its own unique sense of place,” said Eric Resnick, chief executive officer of KSL, in a statement. “We are committed to honoring the deep traditions of each resort, while working with Intrawest’s talented management team and employees to continue to serve both their guests and local communities.”

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    [Isn't this--almost word for word--what KSL promised when they came into Squaw? How's that promise held up?

“Intrawest is a collection of remarkable properties in exceptional locations. Each has its own unique story and its own unique sense of place,” said Eric Resnick, chief executive officer of KSL, in a statement. “We are committed to honoring the deep traditions of each resort, while working with Intrawest’s talented management team and employees to continue to serve both their guests and local communities.”
    It is pretty much the exact same language they used about Alpine Meadows. Could have been copy and pasted and probably was. I think we know how that turned out.

Got a bad feeling that this is the end of free slopeside parking at Mary Jane. Can't imagine a new operator wouldn't come in and say "Wait, why aren't we charging for this?" That's honestly one of the biggest draws there IMHO - I am irrationally attached to the idea of being able to pull up, park, and walk a few steps from my car to the lift without having to factor in a shuttle or paying for parking.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

If the goal is additional revenue for resort improvement, just raise seasons pass prices and own it. Nickle and diming folks through bullshit like paid parking is annoying.

Anyone have a link to the WP master plan? Curious what options they even have expansion or what they have proposed for in boundary improvements. Not finding a current copy of this out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Anyone have a link to the WP master plan? Curious what options they even have expansion or what they have proposed for in boundary improvements. Not finding a current copy of this out there.
    No link, but plan contemplates up to 2 lifts in the Cirque and expansion into area/ridge west of Vasquez Ridge onto Vasquez mountain with gondola linking that terrain to base. Also, gondola from town to ski area (in conjunction with town). Also been talk of desire to replace Zephyr with either 6 pack or gondola with mid station at sunspot and continuing to top of Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    No link, but plan contemplates up to 2 lifts in the Cirque and expansion into area/ridge west of Vasquez Ridge onto Vasquez mountain with gondola linking that terrain to base. Also, gondola from town to ski area (in conjunction with town). Also been talk of desire to replace Zephyr with either 6 pack or gondola with mid station at sunspot and continuing to top of Jane.
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Most of this lines up to chairlift chatter I've heard the past few years. Lowest hanging fruit will be the "re-opening" of the permanently closed Cirque lines and NE facing terrain that drains toward Eagle wind and Vasquez.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Rose has development rights for a small area, but not on the order of KSL/Aspen stuff. I've really been wanting Rose to combine with Sugar Bowl.
    Rumor has it hat Rose may no longer be for sale. The mountain should be staying within its current ownership family. Apparently there isn't enough of a real estate play to peak the right interest. Let's hope that's true.

No need to combine with anyone. Rose is a well run, money making machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gageyk View Post
    Rumor has it hat Rose may no longer be for sale. The mountain should be staying within its current ownership family. Apparently there isn't enough of a real estate play to peak the right interest. Let's hope that's true.

No need to combine with anyone. Rose is a well run, money making machine.
    That's great news. Hadn't heard that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    The McSki experience? Fuck.....I'm luvin it!

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The value add is Mt Rose's base elevation (8,260') vs Squaw (6,200') and Alpine (6,835'). Also, adding Mt Rose to KSL's portfolio would be a huge blow against the 3 Tahoe Vail Resorts on the Epic Pass. Lastly, Mt Rose has something like 14,000 season passholders and reportedly makes a good profit, thanks to a fairly low overhead (no alpine faux village).

And I totally agree, I have a pass at Mammoth this season and have been very impressed with their mountain operations. They do their best to get things open and communicate in real time, unlike Squawpine who over promises, under delivers and leaves the customer guessing what is going to happen.

Then there is this...
    http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/12...ital-partners/

TL/DR: Aspen Bought Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Snow Summit and Bear Mountain
    Last edited by iceclimb; 04-12-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Daaaaaaang, it's on now! The next couple years are going to be very interesting.

Wowza

Wonder what that means for future Mountain Collective passes...

If KSL Aspen Mammoth is positioning for a Vail Epic pass competitor, then I can see them pulling Squaw Alpine and Mammoth off of the MC.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.